Thread: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (film) - Steve Carell & Jim Carrey

Administrator

England

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (film) - Steve Carell & Jim Carrey

This tickles my fancy!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Steve...ges-34689.html

Based on a screenplay by John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein (Horrible Bosses), The Incredible Burt Wonderstone centers on the titular magician (Carell) after he has a major fallout with his longtime stage partner (Buscemi). With his star already slowly fading, he learns that a new hip street magician (Carrey) is becoming popular and sending Burt into obscurity. So what else to do but fight for his spot on the Vegas strip?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Administrator

England
    ^^
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    +ve review from AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61461

THE INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE is pretty standard fare that is elevated by the performances of its impressive cast. Even Olivia Wilde as the last of a run of Wonderstone’s assistants named Nicole injects some heart into the story. But the brunt of any enjoyment to be garnered from WONDERSTONE lies in its gags, and writers John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein deliver a string of hilarious moments throughout the film, more than enough to make this one worth watching. THE INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE pulls plenty of laughs from its hat, making the fact that the film is quite enjoyable no illusion.
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Definitely seeing this tonight, or at least this weekend.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Definitely seeing this tonight, or at least this weekend.
    Give a review later this weekend if you do, I can't tell if this'll suck or be a guilty pleasure flick.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Give a review later this weekend if you do, I can't tell if this'll suck or be a guilty pleasure flick.
    It was a pretty decent movie, but you'd be better off not being spoiled by watching the trailer. I will also say I once again find Steve Carell to be not much by way of leading man material. Jim Carrey really does steal the show everytime he's on camera, but quite a bit of what they show of him is in the trailers. There is a nice long birthday duel between the rivaling magicians that stayed pretty unspoiled, though, and it's hilarious. I'm semi torn in really saying this is go see it in the theaters material. I guffawed more than a few times, but I also yawned a few times. When Carell was by himself, he really couldn't carry the picture. You kept wanting any one of the other super funny supporting cast to step back in and save me from the snoozies.
    I'd say it's not a full price kind of movie, but a matinee would do just fine.

Super Moderator

United States
    Thanks for the review, Ron. Think I'll wait for cable or Netflix.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I would definitely rent or buy the dvd to see the extras. I bet there was a ton of unused Carrey.
    Btw, he was in pretty good shape. Seriously...
    heygirlgrey.jpg
    Voila.

Super Moderator

United States
    I would definitely rent or buy the dvd to see the extras. I bet there was a ton of unused Carrey.
    heygirlgrey.jpg
    Voila.
    Would have preferred Olivia Wilde, but thanks all the same

Administrator

England
    I suspect Kick Ass 2 is something to do with that!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Would have preferred Olivia Wilde, but thanks all the same
    Yeah, in retrospect... Maybe I could've worded that a bit better. Sounded kinda kwurr.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I suspect Kick Ass 2 is something to do with that!
    Probably, even though the only shots I've seen of him he looks like a Vietnam Vet/hobo, and wearing alot of camo.
    I'm starting to rewarm up to him bigtime. I wasn't a big fan of his more dramatic fare, and 23 was a big pile of steaming poo. He's redeeming himself quite nicely of lates.