Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Humanity's Prospects After Zombie Apocalypse?

Twitching

United States
    @Dracenstein:
    This is by no means a good thing...in fact, it's even something I am mildly embarrassed to admit and SERIOUSLY DEPRESSED over, but I only leave the house AT ALL twice in every (90) days. Both trips out are to my M.D, with the second trip being two months after the first, then the cycle begins again.

Other than that, once in a great while I'll have some problem with one of my teeth (all the pain pills and steroids/anti-inflammatories I'm forced to take not to go mad have a bad effect on the enamel of my teeth. Figure maybe two dentist trips in a year.

I have two friends left who haven't deserted me since I became a complete shut-in. Kevin, who I've known for 15 years (since Sophomore year of High School) visits regularly, brings over movies and pizzas and such, but we NEVER go out, and my other friend Erin, lives in Ottawa. (I live in Ocala, Florida).

In addition, because of the pain meds I'm even more susceptible to the brutal Florida heat than your average senior citizen. (My grandmother and 71yr old stepfather both do yardwork and regularly walk round the neighborhood, whereas for me just limping out to the screened-in walled patio/pool deck to smoke (parents decreed no cigarette smoking inside the house about 18 months ago, so now me my Mom and grandmother all go out on the patio to smoke.) That is LITERALLY as far as I EVER go outside, and even then I'm no more than 40 feet from my guns and the pool is between the outside world and the side near the door to the house.

I see the point you're making Dracenstein, but I'm a bad example of the principle you're pointing out. My regular day to day life is so hellish that other than the inability to acquire new supplies of 30mg Oxycodone and my 350mg Carisoprodal, a zombie apocalypse truly wouldn't be any worse for me than my day to day life.

As to my ability to hit that many zombies. I will concede that down on the ground floor while trying to reach the attic my accuracy would suffer, just like EVERY human being's accuracy/fine motor control suffers when heart rate exceeds 175 beats/minute, aka "Code Black/Fight or Flight state".

With zombies at close quarters, it's a given I would fall into a Code Black pulse rate. Anything besides my 12-gauge would be useless to me during the fight to the attic, unless my attacker was literally at point blank range.

Now, again I'm a unique case when it comes to what my mindset would be if I reached the roof alive and unbitten with weapons and ammo. You have to understand that my ability to stay calm and focus once I'm out of immediate danger has NOTHING to do with bravery.

I've been in extreme agony for over 11yrs now. Been treated for back pain and other issues for longer than that, but up until I was 19 the pain meds completely controlled my pain, allowing me the pretense of a normal life. Slowly though, over time the pain grew worse and worse, and now all the pain meds do is take the worst of the edge off for an hour and change, but make NO MISTAKE, I'm still in AGONY even then.

Under these circumstances I don't kill myself for only (2) reasons. 1) (Primary Reason) My faith gives me reason to believe that if I take my life when death is not otherwise imminent and certain, the essence/soul that makes me, well, me would be damned and sent to Hell. By the same token, if I were trapped on my house's roof, with no capacity to escape and dying of thirst, I believe my God would accept my escaping a certain death situation via suicide. 2) The impact my death would have on my family. They've sacrificed and continue to sacrifice so much just to do whatever small things they can to make my existence more endurable. I believe they deserve better than for me to give up.

However, as far as the "Could I turn my back on a bitten or unbitten-but-endangered family member" question, the answer is no. I might very well die trying to save who I can, but my family has been through terrible, frightening and violent things due to the actions of a vicious human predator. It's hard to explain, but when you and your family have survived such prolonged attack(s) it changes your family forever.

I firmly, unquestioningly believe that if my Mother or Grandmother were about to be dragged down by zombies, their last words would be a rage filled "NO! Save yourself!" if they saw me about to leave a safe vantage point to try and rescue them (thus exposing myself). My stepfather would go down defending my mother, barehanded if need be, and is more than capable of easily terminating a zombie barehanded after a life of intensive labor that left him with fast, IMMENSELY POWERFUL hands and arms. If anyone could perform a Mortal Kombat-style Fatality of pulling head and attached spinal column free it would be him. To be fair, my stepfather would tire after 10-15 minutes of full-out exertion, but whatever was gonna happen would've happened by then.

Now, if my Stepfather reached HIS guns, I can GO BACK TO BED, because savage walking corpses wouldn't faze him. Man has been in two shooting wars on the lines and doing some behind-the-lines WWII stuff. After that, the undead are bullshit compared to the stuff you can see flit across the back of his eyes when WWII gets brought up. Stuff like killing unarmed men begging for their lives because they weren't in a position to take prisoners...

Your point is taken to heart though Dracenstein. The VAST MAJORITY of even otherwise prepared and well-equipped individuals could very easily be far away from those preparations and supplies by day-to-day life. Particularly those who commute substantial distances to work.

United States
    A huge danger I just noticed, especially for "rural" folk, is damned animals. Specifically, mutts!

I live in one of those low-population, edge of nowhere places. Problem is, many people out here have dogs. You don't really notice them usually.

But, last night, I decided to take a walk. Guess what? Every damn dog around started going bonkers, yapping at me.

That made me think. Even if you think you're safe, you're "hiding" from any dead, you've got all those animals out there, and they're determined to make a bunch of racket. That will draw zombies like a magnet, right to you.

England
    Another dog concern is that once people are gone (or thin on the ground) those mutts will also become feral hunting packs, any lone humans will also be in danger of...

A: Being brought down and scoffed.

or

B: Being injured by them and slowed down.

Mans best friend just became another threat to any survivors.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 23-Aug-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

UK
    Although perhaps another way of looking at it would be that the zombies eat the dogs, so the feral packs probably wouldn't be much of an issue. But I suppose that depends on what zombie dietary concerns theory you ascribe to...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Although perhaps another way of looking at it would be that the zombies eat the dogs, so the feral packs probably wouldn't be much of an issue. But I suppose that depends on what zombie dietary concerns theory you ascribe to...
    Even if they eat the mutts, the trouble is that a boatload of zombies have made their way to your location in order to do it. And once there, they're likely to stay.

"Man's best friend". Yeah, right.

Canada

Thumbs up

Great thread so far guys. I never get enough of reading these "What if scenarios."

I just wanted to mention also that Wyldwraith brings up a lot of great points about the physiology of "the dead."
    A lot of which I've been saying for years in these type of discussions. Dehydration would be the zeds greatest enemy and their eventual downfall IMHO.
    All in all great stuff and part of the reason I've loved this place for so many years, going back to the old board. I've just got to stop 'lurking' so much and start posting more.
    Last edited by carpetbeggar; 24-Aug-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    According to your own OP we're supposed to be discussing in the wake of a global zombie apocalypse, but then you spend a long post stating how that premise isn't feasible? Did you derail your own thread?
    It seems to me that getting to a global apocalypse may require some counterfactual assumptions other than the existence of zombies themselves. For example, also assuming a world where the zombie fiction genre never existed. Maybe zombies would have had the best shot of taking over if Night '68 happened for real, as a global phenomenon. Ignorance of zombies, higher mortality rates, a slower news cycle, and less effective communications networks would combine to give them a much better chance than they would have today.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    It seems to me that getting to a global apocalypse may require some counterfactual assumptions other than the existence of zombies themselves. For example, also assuming a world where the zombie fiction genre never existed. Maybe zombies would have had the best shot of taking over if Night '68 happened for real, as a global phenomenon. Ignorance of zombies, higher mortality rates, a slower news cycle, and less effective communications networks would combine to give them a much better chance than they would have today.
    Interesting point about it happening in an AR without zombie media...if the first major outbreaks occur in the likes of Africa, Middle East, Bible belt USA and deeply religious sections of Europe, the people would all be well phased thinking in the terms of "armageddon/voodoo/witchcraft/etc" as opposed to "OMG zombie outbreak"...these factors might allow the first wave of zombies to grow to unmanagable levels.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Another dog concern is that once people are gone (or thin on the ground) those mutts will also become feral hunting packs, any lone humans will also be in danger of...

A: Being brought down and scoffed.

or

B: Being injured by them and slowed down.

Mans best friend just became another threat to any survivors.
    I am more inclined to believe that a roaming pack of hungry feral dogs would pose a formidable danger to the slow moving ghouls than vice versa. In my neighborhood we have a coyote infestation problem, and due to urban sprawl they now forage through the neighborhood picking off cats and small dogs- I assume that they, like feral dogs, would likely thrive in a ghoul infested environment.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Twitching

United States
    Hmm,
    After some additional long thought on this issue, I've realized that one core issue divides the End of Humanity from A Disaster We Would Be Damaged By, But Otherwise Survive (Relatively) Intact.

Rate of zombie decay/physical breakdown.

If you're in the "GAR Camp" and subscribe to the idea the somehow, inexplicably, dead bodies will remain almost completely intact and very functional for years and years, then it only makes sense for you to believe Humankind would be doomed in the face of a Zombie Apocalypse.

On the other hand, if you're like me and give credence to the many well-understood biological processes which are part and parcel of physical death, you no doubt perceive a host of reasons why zombies simply couldn't remain functional for longer than 6-7 months at the absolute maximum (barring those zombies sheltered from environmental exposure).

The Interval of Functionality of the reanimated dead would, IMHO, be the key factor in determining the scope of the zombies' impact on Humankind and Civilization for (3) main reasons, and a few tributary reasons.

1) Supply Stockpiles. I believe we're all in agreement that any major widespread disaster of sufficient scope will interrupt the functioning of national infrastructure. Of these interrupted services, the lack of new deliveries of food to regular outlets, the disruption or termination of access to clean water sources, and the ongoing lack of medical supplies of even the most basic sort will be the losses most immediately and keenly felt by surviving humans.

I've read in multiple locations/articles/books that the average person/family has no more than two weeks of food on hand at any given moment, with populations in disaster-prone regions (portions of California and S. Oregon due to earthquakes. The Gulf Coast due to hurricanes, and during the winter, New England due to "Nor'easters", sudden blizzards, and potential flooding) for example possessing on average 3-7 days additional food in the form of non-perishables.

So, barring runs on grocery stores/produce stands/ranches etc., most people have no more than 3 weeks of food and an unspecified but no doubt limited amount of clean water available to them. Even in a best-case-scenario where we assume in the opening day/days of the growing crisis/zombie infestation that such a family successfully acquires DOUBLE their current at-home supplies by a frantic run on the grocery store(s), that's still only six weeks of supplies even in disaster accustomed regions.

42 days of food at regular consumption rates, or significantly longer if strictly rationed, but still no more than 2-2 & 1/2 months of rationed food.

Then we have the hardcore survivalists/apocalypse believers of all stripes. Such individuals could very well have extremely large (yet still finite) stockpiles of non-perishables (M.R.Es etc). Someone like this might well have a few YEARS of food, months of stockpiled water, and established systems/practices to augment their supplies should the worst happen. (Doesn't really matter if they were thinking Nuclear War/W.W III when they made their preparations. The supplies are the same.)

So, the VAST MAJORITY of individuals would be totally out of food by Month 3 of the Zombie Apocalypse. Even among those people who've been clever, well-trained/well-prepared, or simply lucky enough to make it that far, right around then will come the last major spurt of human casualties. Either due to encounters with zombies while venturing forth to scrounge for food when hunger drives them beyond the confines of their heretofore "safe" hideout, or in conflicts with other equally desperate human beings competing for the same EXTREMELY LIMITED supplies.

You can see where I'm going with this line of reasoning, but I'll come back to this a bit further on.

2) Societal Instability/Upheaval. This umbrella concept encompasses everything from the breakdown of law and order/emergency services, up to and including desperation-inspired actions by world governments who, seeing the situation(s) in their respective territories go wildly out of their control after efforts to contain and eliminate the threat by conventional means have failed, undertake EXTREME measures to try and regain some of the metaphorical ground they've lost.

Addressing societal breakdown first, MUCH has been said on this particular issue in prior threads. The rise of nomadic marauder-gangs and petty warlords claiming dominion here and there as their manpower and resources allow, to the far more insidious, but ultimately far more lethal epidemic-spawning conditions.

After all, when the Water Treatment Plants go offline, yet sewage continues to be introduced into the system until power is lost, all it will take to cause a host of potential outbreaks of conventional pathogens is enough rainfall or other cause that forces that raw sewage into the streets and contaminating relied-upon water sources that up until now have remained clean. Presto, instant Cholera epidemic. Cryptosporidium, while normally much less dangerous, would have a vastly increased impact on a population already malnourished, under constant stress/carrying significant sleep-deficits and otherwise at least partially Immuno-compromised. Just look at the effects it had on an otherwise healthy, infrastructure-operational Milwaukee when ONE water plant became MILDLY AND BRIEFLY contaminated by Cryptosporidium.

Subsequently, there will be lots of standing/stagnant water all over the place. Everything from pools and decorational ponds/fountains of millions of homes, to simple rainfall accumulation. Without the regular anti-mosquito spraying done in susceptible areas (which would be pretty much everywhere but the damned DESERT under these conditions) the mosquito population would explode to levels seldom seen, let alone experienced by anything but the caribou herds near the arctic circle (whose entire migration cycle is prompted by desperate efforts to escape the CLOUDS of mosquitoes and biting flies). With this explosion of the mosquito population will come any or all of the mosquito-borne pathogens and parasites at epidemic levels.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Then we have the Extreme Measures by the Militaries of the Industrialized Nations at the behest of the aforementioned desperate National Governments they serve. Anyone who has seen the movie Outbreak can easily envision just how destructive/lethal these zombie-extermination efforts could be.

You might be insanely lucky enough to be a member of a well-armed and sizable group who've ultra-secured something like a Sam's Club or Distribution Center ala Dawn-Style and have years of supplies while enjoying a vantage from which you've handily fended off all marauding gangs who've tested your defenses, but you will be just as dead as the people who died seconds after seeing their first zombie if the Air Force drops powerful Thermobaric Bombs on every former major metropolitan area in an effort to destroy huge concentrations of the undead.

3) Basic. Simple. Attrition. No wordiness here. Essentially, the longer the nightmare continues, the more people that will die for any of thousands of reasons. Simple as that. The ultra-prepared can suffer from devastating bad luck, the incredibly well-trained can have a stupid accident, and the Average Joe's luck can run out. If worldwide predators of Man continue to exist in large numbers, and the attendant Anarchy caused by their rise continues unabated, the environment will simply grow so hostile that extinction becomes all but an inevitability.

Now, ***!!!EVERYTHING!!!*** I just described is dependent upon ONE and ONLY ONE factor ultimately.

How long can the vast hordes remain functional? If Trin and the GAR-depicted/Flies-In-The-Face-Of-Biology multiple-years-unimpaired zombie is correct, we're FUCKED for EACH AND EVERY one of the above reasons.

If, on the other hand, the hordes only remain functional for 6-7 months, to be followed by FAR less numerous and sporadic reanimation outbreaks, ALL of the above factors can (and I believe WOULD) be effectively mitigated.

I'll hold off on my final conclusions as yet, as this thread still has a good deal of unlife left in it, but that's why I believe Functional Zombie "Lifespan" is the key deciding factor in Humanity's ultimate fate in the face of such an Apocalypse.

Why I believe all of this would be VASTLY BENEFICIAL to our species can also wait until another post.

Please, continue.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    If you're in the "GAR Camp" and subscribe to the idea the somehow, inexplicably, dead bodies will remain almost completely intact and very functional for years and years, then it only makes sense for you to believe Humankind would be doomed in the face of a Zombie Apocalypse.
    I disagree. I'd contend that after a few months the humans have either survived and gotten their regional situation under control (i.e. destroyed the bulk of the zombies) or they're dead. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where a year into it there is still a struggle to survive because of the zombies.

On the other hand, if you're like me and give credence to the many well-understood biological processes which are part and parcel of physical death, you no doubt perceive a host of reasons why zombies simply couldn't remain functional for longer than 6-7 months at the absolute maximum (barring those zombies sheltered from environmental exposure).
    Well understood biological processes invalidate the existence of zombies period.

I love these hypothetical discussions, but at some level you've gotta suspend disbelief and just go with it. Getting mired in the science of something that is utterly impossible is pointless.

Put another way, if you accept that a dead body can rise and be cannibalistic then any further discussion is outside the bounds of science. Whether you choose to believe they can survive 3 weeks or 3 years is purely a function of what disbelief you are suspending.

The Interval of Functionality of the reanimated dead would, IMHO, be the key factor in determining the scope of the zombies' impact on Humankind and Civilization
    I just don't believe this. If a group of survivors can manage to secure shelter, food, and water enough to last a month or two, then that's all the time they need to devise a method to destroy an ever-widening area of safety. Look at all the bitchin about Dawn (either version) and the survivors' lack of ambition in widening their safe zone. People throw out dozens of ways to increase the scavenging area, and at the same time tons of reasoning why the number of zombies in any particular locale would be limited (unlike the "kill 1 and 2 replace it" zombies noted in Dawn '04).

All it takes is one trip to Cabella's and you realize that Dr. Logan was way off. I wandered the aisles and there were more bullets in that store than people in a 10 mile radius. Given even a short amount of time I believe you can "blow the piss" out of all of them.

To the specific 3 points. I think there is some validity to each of them, but I also think each has enough counter arguments to cast serious doubt.

(1) The food supply argument relies on a large body of people diminishing the supplies. If we assume that most of the humans become zombies (and we have to for the supply chain to break down) then the demand dimishes faster than the supply. The only challenge is securing the food stores in a dangerous world.

(2) Societal Instability/Upheaval - the rise of marauders and petty despot all but guarantees the survival of the race. It may not be pretty, and it may lead to as much death as the zombie apocalypse itself, but these groups will assure their own survival at all costs.

(3) Attrition can only kill so many. History has proven that probability is on the side of survival.

Which do you think would happen more? Unplanned death or unplanned birth?

If, on the other hand, the hordes only remain functional for 6-7 months, to be followed by FAR less numerous and sporadic reanimation outbreaks, ALL of the above factors can (and I believe WOULD) be effectively mitigated.
    This is an odd perspective given the rest of your post. You contended that food supplies would deplete far faster than 6 or 7 months and everyone was gonna die, the world would fall immediately into a dooming chaos, people would be dying through random accident/eventuality/misquitos ... yet you also contend that the zombies' ability to be functional after 6 months is crucial to the overall outcome. By your own arguments the fate of humanity is decided far earlier than 6 months.

My personal opinion, look to the countries that aren't so well off today. They don't have the reliance on technology and infrastructure. Their
    day-to-day survival challenges today will have equipped them better to handle the fall of the first world countries tomorrow.

I'll be interested to hear the thoughts on long term benefits to humanity.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    You know whats funny... you are all putting so much debate and theory into the science of real dead bodies coming back to life and eating people.

If, in the real world zombies came to attack and eat people to survive... that alone would go against most sciencetific thought processes, and conventional science as we know it would need to be thrown out the window.

The reality is we have no real idea what or how this would happen or how we could really stop it. A head shot might not even work... we dont really know.

What I say is that zombies could be eating flesh to remain intact and continue to consume and create more zombies. The flesh and blood could be the catalyst to keep the zombie bodies from rotting or at least slow it down to a non-existent decomposition rate. Once there was no more flesh for them to consume their bodies could possibly begin rotting.

As for humanity's prospects... We are already sliding down a slippery slope and there will be no way that humanity will continue if the dead did come to eat us. Even zombie fans will die gruesome deaths, no matter how prepared you are the reality of the situation is too much for the human mind to accept.

People will survive, civilization will unfortunately no longer exist as we know it. Will we slip back into savage almost like medieval times? That is likely. But the people that do survive will be hardened, with a killer instinct and I fear that the zombie population will always exist at some level humans start to rebuild the world.

Just my $0.02

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Damn it Trin you posted almost my exact thoughts...lol

I started the post at like 10am and just hit submit reply... oh well.

Great minds i guess...

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    ...I'll be interested to hear the thoughts on long term benefits to humanity.
    I think something like this would hit a reset button that would cause the weak to die and the strong to survive.

I think the long term benefits include another industrial revolution as we will need to find ways to automate the creation of necessities. So innovation will flurish again. Also, less reliance on the usual energy sources will be removed entirely as there is no demand for fuel as we know it.

I think humans will go more into the old mentality of "it takes a village to raise a child" which will only lead to less infantile adults.

I just hope that humans will be able to learn from their mistakes.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I am more inclined to believe that a roaming pack of hungry feral dogs would pose a formidable danger to the slow moving ghouls than vice versa. In my neighborhood we have a coyote infestation problem, and due to urban sprawl they now forage through the neighborhood picking off cats and small dogs- I assume that they, like feral dogs, would likely thrive in a ghoul infested environment.
    Thats a fair point, but I still believe it would be bad for survivors when dog packs lose all fear of two legged folk and see them a legitimate food source (dead or alive).

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Thats a fair point, but I still believe it would be bad for survivors when dog packs lose all fear of two legged folk and see them a legitimate food source (dead or alive).
    I do agree- without a doubt the survivors would be at risk of becoming prey for the feral dogs. I just meant that the dogs would be in less danger of becoming zombie food than the zombies would be from the dogs.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Twitching

United States
    @Trin,
    The reason you're missing my point about limited zombie functionality is you placed the emphasis on defining a "functional zombie" to be one that is still mobile and capable of hunting, whereas I break the phases of Zombie Functionality down further into the period during which zombies are relatively "fresh and unimpaired" (for zombies), and the period just afterward when decay/physical degradation of the zombies' sensory organs (among other things) becomes a serious impediment for the majority of the zombies hunting efforts.

I apologize for the ambiguity in the later portion of my post. I got too caught up in the Big Picture, and didn't stop to adequately explain why I placed such emphasis on the deciding factors I described. (Ie: Degradation of the general zombie condition over time making it easier for surviving humans to pick up the pace of their rebuilding efforts.)

I concede that many of your counter-arguments have merit, except for the position that long-lasting/high functionality zombies wouldn't have a more adverse effect on the struggling-to-recover human population than short-term zombies.

In specific, I acknowledge that the well-prepared survivalist types and indigenous populations which still live very close to the land aren't really subject to my supply argument in the way that members of industrialized nations are. However, as to your point that the plummeting human population would free up large amounts of available supplies for the survivors to scrounge I have to disagree. Whether large numbers of people cease consuming the available supply stockpiles, only a minority % of those supplies are non-perishable. There could be many less mouths to feed as you theorize, but food rotting would create an alternate-but-equal cause of supply deprivation in place of actual human consumption.

Finally, I find the most merit in your learning to defend themselves or succumbing human population theory, but qualify it by reiterating my belief that you're underestimating the difference it would make to the survivors if the zombies were in a Land-esque condition a year or two after the primary undead uprising, or if said zombies were on the verge of becoming all-but-completely non-functional after several months. If nothing else, dramatically decay-impaired zombies would allow for a much faster and (IMHO) more comprehensive recovery by the surviving human population.

Good points Trin. We just happen to disagree on how a few of the particulars would play out.