Thread: Geesh..

United States

Geesh..

What happened to this place? Is the fiction section just for advertising now?
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Pretty much.

United States
    I was thinking the same thing over the last few days. In perusing the Fiction Section, I noticed something that I found troubling. It seems as though very few people posting fiction here participate in the forums these days. I recall this forum being the place where the authors would come, announce the new works that had submitted, and wait for the critiquing to be unleashed. It doesn't seem to be that way anymore and here's my two cents on WHY, gil:

The recent crop of authors on this site seem to me to be hyper-sensitive and unable to take criticism of any sort. Unless every post is a 'standing ovation', it has typically degraded into a flame war that needed to be shutdown and locked.

Quite frankly, I'd love to see this forum revived, but I don't know how it will happen. There is so much shameless promotion going on that asking for critiques on your work posted here seems much the same, not like it used to be. Unless the writers on site band back together like in the old days, the fiction forum will remain as it is.

Pity.

Every great once-in-awhile it seems that someone like you, myself, or rightwing will come back and try to 'rally the troops', but it always falls apart rather quickly.

If you have a solution, gil, I'd love to hear it...

Dying

United States
    Clearly I am the savior of this forum.

....Okay, so, I didn't even buy that, and I'm the one that typed it.

I'll be honest here. I'm pretty new to the site and I did just submit a short story this morning. As far as THIS particular forum is concerned, should I be posting what I submitted for open critiquing here, or do I wait for it to be posted on the site first and then make a post about it, or is there some sort of ritualistic dance that I need to perform? I simply don't know the protocol.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    Clearly I am the savior of this forum.

....Okay, so, I didn't even buy that, and I'm the one that typed it.

I'll be honest here. I'm pretty new to the site and I did just submit a short story this morning. As far as THIS particular forum is concerned, should I be posting what I submitted for open critiquing here, or do I wait for it to be posted on the site first and then make a post about it, or is there some sort of ritualistic dance that I need to perform? I simply don't know the protocol.
    The ritualistic dance requires goat leggings...

To be honest, we always announced our stories prior to them being posted in the fiction section (so everyone knew to look for them) and awaited. I submitted something a few days ago as well, my first non-LD contribution to the site, but again, looking through the recent posts here, it just feels like shameless self-promotion at this point...

But, who knows. Perhaps I'll open a thread when my story goes up, give my two cents on what it means to me and inquire for honest critiques...

Dying

United States
    All right, I'll plan on doing the same, then. I'm sure that I'll have my share of detractors since my style is...odd, but frankly I want as much honest feedback as possible, whether it's positive or negative. I would think that anyone considering him/herself a writer would like the same thing. If I wanted a circle jerk I could get one down at the rest stop off of I-71.

To completely misquote Ivan Drago from Rocky IV, "If it sucks, it sucks."

United States
    All right, I'll plan on doing the same, then. I'm sure that I'll have my share of detractors since my style is...odd, but frankly I want as much honest feedback as possible, whether it's positive or negative. I would think that anyone considering him/herself a writer would like the same thing. If I wanted a circle jerk I could get one down at the rest stop off of I-71.

To completely misquote Ivan Drago from Rocky IV, "If it sucks, it sucks."

Guess we'll see what happens then!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    The ritualistic dance requires goat leggings...

If I wanted a circle jerk I could get one down at the rest stop off of I-71.
    That was YOU?!?! Hi!!! I never did catch your name! Next time, use hand lotion, your hands are rough.

But seriously, (?!?) I used to visit the fiction all the time, but after the changes were made in it, I just lost the bug & never went back. I kinda get the feeling that's where the great divide began...

Dying

United States
    I never claimed to be gentle, only effective.

United States
    I never claimed to be gentle, only effective.
    Yeah, but it was all like...

...and I was all like...