Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy 5 - Jumping a whole shoal of sharks?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've never understood the hate for Last Crusade. It brought back the adventure and humor that were missing from Temple. It also happens to be my favorite of the series.
    The saying to each his own was never more apropriate than for this exchange.

I thought temple was the funniest in the series.

I also thought there was no shortage of adventure and action as well.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Did you not see the bit with a nuclear bomb and a fridge?

Careful now, or I'll start about the tree driving grinning Marion... You know I will! Don't test me!
    lol, we've already both been through that particular engagement more than once. One time I went through the sequence shot-by-shot with some screenshots I think, to prove she wasn't this grinning buffoon you'd made her out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I agree. I always thought Temple was kind of empty, decent, but...empty, and Crusade really brought things back around. I also think the on-screen chemistry between Ford & Connery was incredibly fun.
    Yeah. When I went through all four in-order, Temple stuck out like a sore thumb. It was really hard to enjoy compared to 1 and 3 and also 4. Last Crusade is probably my favourite of them all too, just nudging ahead of Raiders, and it is a really, really enjoyable movie - which is exactly what Indy is supposed to be. Rip-roaring Saturday morning serials fun.

Whew. I was beginning to think I was the only one. I did the same and watched them all in order.....it fits perfectly! Sure, 4 has it's problems(as do the others), but it's not enough to take it out of the series and make it the worst movie ever as some have made it out to be. This jump the shark/nuke the fridge thing has just gotten out of hand. People tend to focus on the few negative parts rather than the experience as a whole.
    Yeah, the fridge thing has gone waaaaaaaaaaay overboard in terms of bitching about it. It's become a cliche to complain about that now, even. The sequence is daft, but the other films have their fair share of daft moments (Raider's Nazi monkey, Temple's plane escape, and Crusade's taking out a plane with a brolly and a flock of birds ) ... and it was a sequence I enjoyed.

I really loved the quintessentially 1950s flavour of Indy 4. It hit all the beats of classic 50s nostalgia and iconography and it was a good, fun time. It makes even more sense with the spiffing feature length making of on the double discer.

United States
    Fuck it, I say bring it on. I'm not a huge fan of SB, but as someone said earlier, Indy 4 could've been a LOT worse.

I actually like all of the Indy flicks, although Temple is my least favorite. I honestly don't get the hate for Indy 4 - it was no more of a stretch than the other films (yes, I saw the refrigerator thing - no worse than some voodoo dude pulling the still beating heart out of your chest while you're still alive! )

Regardless, I'll check it out - under the condition that Harrison Ford is in the flick. If they try and let SB take over as "Indy Jr" or some other bullshit in this series, I will wig out like Charles Manson on a bad day.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 23-Aug-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Indy 4 could've been a LOT worse.
    And so could have the Black Plague, and yet...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    And so could have the Black Plague, and yet...
    ...the black plague killed a lot of people and Indy didn't.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Even if Spielberg came back and made the greatest film since Ben Hur, people would still complain that it wasn't like Raiders. That's the kind of thing you get into when resurrecting franchises and their fans with rose glasses. The originals are flawless and nothing should ever attempt to expand on that...

United States
    What about all of those Thuggee cultists?

And the Nazis?

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS???!!!???
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Even if Spielberg came back and made the greatest film since Ben Hur, people would still complain that it wasn't like Raiders. That's the kind of thing you get into when resurrecting franchises and their fans with rose glasses. The originals are flawless and nothing should ever attempt to expand on that...
    Especially when done so many years apart from each other. It's like your favorite band breaking up, then getting back together 10 years later and putting an album out - most of the "original" fans won't like it because they want it to be like their "old" material, but the artists have grown quite a bit between that time, you just didn't get to hear that growth as it happened. You just hear a huge leap from their last album to their "reunion" album.

Not always 100% the case, but often enough to make the analogy appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    What about all of those Thuggee cultists?

And the Nazis?

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS???!!!???
    I thought about them, for sure.. and all that popped into my mind is Cate Blanchett saying "We will do this, how you say, 'old fashioned way'" *drool*
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 23-Aug-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Indy has killed more nazis than the Black Plague...I think..but prove me wrong if you can >,>

Now I'm off to google nazi, "black plague", fatalities.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Indy has killed more nazis than the Black Plague...I think..but prove me wrong >,>
    Hey, i didn't claim the black plague killed more nazi's than Indy, I said it killed more PEOPLE than Indy.

Super Moderator

United States
    Nah, really...all he had to do was make a decent movie.

United States
    Nah, really...all he had to do was make a decent movie.
    What, like Land, Survival, or Diary?

Hey, someone had to go there, might as well be me!

United States
    I suppose, technically, it was the Wrath of God offing most of those Nazis.

But the same could be said of the Black Plague - at least from the point of view of superstitious peasantry...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Super Moderator

United States
    What, like Land, Survival, or Diary?

Hey, someone had to go there, might as well be me!

Well, to be fair to Indy 4, I should probably watch all four movies in close succession. I have a feeling 4 might compare somewhat more favorably to Temple, from my perspective.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Especially when done so many years apart from each other. It's like your favorite band breaking up, then getting back together 10 years later and putting an album out - most of the "original" fans won't like it because they want it to be like their "old" material, but the artists have grown quite a bit between that time, you just didn't get to hear that growth as it happened. You just hear a huge leap from their last album to their "reunion" album.

Not always 100% the case, but often enough to make the analogy appropriate.
    That works, but on the other hand there's really no growth between Crusade and Kingdom. The series is still the same regardless of Spielberg/Ford's age. Especially when you consider that the series is a throwback to films/shorts before their time, anyway. Nothing's really changed in the series with the exception of how it's made.

I'm curious as to what mythological/spiritual/supernatural artifact they'll throw into Indy 5. Just don't let it be aliens, because that would be just too much for some people. They need more down-to-earth things like glowing rocks, ghosts, ever lasting life, etc. None of that unbelievable alien shit!