Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy 5 - Jumping a whole shoal of sharks?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

I'm curious as to what mythological/spiritual/supernatural artifact they'll throw into Indy 5. Just don't let it be aliens, because that would be just too much for some people. They need more down-to-earth things like glowing rocks, ghosts, ever lasting life, etc. None of that unbelievable alien shit!
    I think aliens could have worked, it's just a matter of how the whole thing is handled. Light-touch would have been nice, but I didn't find there was any light-touches in Indy 4.

I also think throwing the whole defense of the film on the fact that they're based on cliff-hanger serials doesn't mean the filmmakers don't need to take the aesthetic of the modern film-goer into account. The original films were made to entertain their projected audiences and I think Indy 4 was more made to bilk us with a mailed-in effort and cash-in on the guaranteed audience of a large fanbase.

Of course, it all comes down to opinion so whatever. I already said I'm not giving an opinion in this thread
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 23-Aug-2010 at 08:19 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    The original film were made to entertain their projected audiences and I think Indy 4 was more made to bilk us with a mailed-in effort and cash-in on the guaranteed audience of a large fanbase.
    Somehow I don't think George Lucas, Stephen Spielberg, or Harrison Ford needed the money or attention.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Somehow I don't think George Lucas, Stephen Spielberg, or Harrison Ford needed the money or attention.....
    So they did it for the fans? Or the art of high filmmaking? This was the perfect script they had been waiting all those years to come along?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So they did it for the fans? Or the art of high filmmaking? This was the perfect script they had been waiting all those years to come along?
    Hey i'm not arguing whether it was good or not....just that....well- look at who those guys are! They definitely didn't do it for the money or attention.

If I had to guess, it was nostalgia. High School reunion kind of thing. Either that or maybe they thought it was time to wrap up the original idea of a 5-part series before they were too old.

Super Moderator

United States
    Hey i'm not arguing whether it was good or not....just that....well- look at who those guys are! They definitely didn't do it for the money or attention.

If I had to guess, it was nostalgia. High School reunion kind of thing. Either that or maybe they thought it was time to wrap up the original idea of a 5-part series.
    Fair enough point, but you can't discount the possibility one of them needed an extra few million to buy their own country.

You are right, though...we shouldn't ask why they perpetrated the crime, just move onto punishing them

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    The first one is a classic, the second enjoyable, and the rest well...

My mama taught me I you don't have anything nice to say then it's best to say nothing.

I think it's more than a nostalgia factor. They just made movies differently back then. Even the comedies.

Yep, I agree. Although, over the years I've gotten to really like 'Temple of Doom', apart from the life raft thing.

The third was complete shit though. I don't care what anyone says.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

I've never understood the hate for Last Crusade. It brought back the adventure and humor that were missing from Temple. It also happens to be my favorite of the series.
    Unfortunately, Bass, the "humour" was crap and not funny in the slightest. BTW, there wasn't an awful lot of humour in 'Raiders' either and when there was it was funny.

The "humour" in the third one is just mind numbing. It destroys the film completely.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I actually like all of the Indy flicks, although Temple is my least favorite. I honestly don't get the hate for Indy 4 - it was no more of a stretch than the other films (yes, I saw the refrigerator thing - no worse than some voodoo dude pulling the still beating heart out of your chest while you're still alive! )
    You see, the thing about this is, that maybe Mola Ram is pulling a fast one here. Perhaps he has a lambs heart stuck up his sleve or something and whips it out to fool his loyal followers? Shaman did that kind of switcharoo all the time.

That's sort of the way I've viewed that sequence.

Whereas the fridge....for fuck sake....
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah. When I went through all four in-order, Temple stuck out like a sore thumb. It was really hard to enjoy compared to 1 and 3 and also 4. Last Crusade is probably my favourite of them all too, just nudging ahead of Raiders, and it is a really, really enjoyable movie - which is exactly what Indy is supposed to be. Rip-roaring Saturday morning serials fun.
    I agree. I think Last Crusade is also my favorite by a hair over the original. The chemistry between Ford and Connery is great (as noted by others), I loved the reappearance of Brody and Sallah, and it's chock full of quotable lines.

Yeah, the fridge thing has gone waaaaaaaaaaay overboard in terms of bitching about it. It's become a cliche to complain about that now, even. The sequence is daft, but the other films have their fair share of daft moments (Raider's Nazi monkey, Temple's plane escape, and Crusade's taking out a plane with a brolly and a flock of birds ) ... and it was a sequence I enjoyed.
    I dunno, the monkey wasn't CGI, and I didn't see it doing anything outside of the realm of what one might realistically expect a trained monkey to be able to do. And I think there's a fair bit more precedent for low-flying planes being taken down by bird strikes than people surviving nuclear blasts in kitchen appliances. Not even remotely close, I'm wagering.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    Yeah, the fridge thing has gone waaaaaaaaaaay overboard in terms of bitching about it. It's become a cliche to complain about that now, even. The sequence is daft, but the other films have their fair share of daft moments (Raider's Nazi monkey, Temple's plane escape, and Crusade's taking out a plane with a brolly and a flock of birds ) ... and it was a sequence I enjoyed.
    Nope... Don't know if you noticed, but he SURVIVED a NUCLEAR BLAST in a FRIDGE? He also flew X miles through the air in said kitchen appliance too...

Temple's plane escape, seems infinitately more possible to me than SURVIVING a NUCLEAR BLAST in a FRIDGE...

It just pushed it too far for me...

Anyway, we've been over this before... I need to watch it again...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Unfortunately, Bass, the "humour" was crap and not funny in the slightest. BTW, there wasn't an awful lot of humour in 'Raiders' either and when there was it was funny.

The "humour" in the third one is just mind numbing. It destroys the film completely
    Different strokes, I guess. I personally find it to be a funny father/son movie and think the adventure is above Raiders. Grail is just lighter hearted than the original, yet can take itself seriously when it comes down to the meat and bones of the dysfunctional family and grail story. I see i'm not the only one that thinks so at least...Crusade is the only other one besides Raiders listed in Imdb's 250.

And no humor in Raiders? I hate to say it, but I think you may need to sit down and give it another go. There is tons of humor in Raiders.

Super Moderator

UK
    Then ruddy watch it again already, better yet, watch all four in sequence.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Then ruddy watch it again already, better yet, watch all four in sequence.
    If you're a real nerd, watch them in chronological order.

Doom, Raiders, Crusade, Kingdom.

And if you're a hopeless geek, you can watch the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles before the films.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Aug-2010 at 12:34 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    You see, the thing about this is, that maybe Mola Ram is pulling a fast one here. Perhaps he has a lambs heart stuck up his sleve or something and whips it out to fool his loyal followers? Shaman did that kind of switcharoo all the time.

That's sort of the way I've viewed that sequence.

Whereas the fridge....for fuck sake....
    Oh come on, you can't excuse one and not the other. There was no trickery involved - you see it very plainly - he reaches in, pulls a beating heart out of the dude, and the dude was still alive (did I just use "dude" too many times? "I KNOW WHO I AM! I'm the dude, playing a dude, disgused as another dude!") - that is just as ludicrous as the damn fridge!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    he reaches in, pulls a beating heart out of the dude...that is just as ludicrous as the damn fridge!
    Really?

Tell that to an innocent thirty-something who had his heart ripped out by Spielberg & co.

Where are your fancy words now, Lou?

/thread

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Nope... Don't know if you noticed, but he SURVIVED a NUCLEAR BLAST in a FRIDGE? He also flew X miles through the air in said kitchen appliance too...

Temple's plane escape, seems infinitately more possible to me than SURVIVING a NUCLEAR BLAST in a FRIDGE...

It just pushed it too far for me...
    I've said it before: Surviving the WRATH OF GOD by keeping their eyes closed.

Arguing about reality in the Indiana Jones movies? C'MAAAAAAHHHHNNN!!
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Really?

Tell that to an innocent thirty-something who had his heart ripped out by Spielberg & co.

Where are your fancy words now, Lou?

/thread
    No idea what you're getting at with that, but if you want fancy words, how about: hagiography, antediluvian and peripatetic

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Arguing about reality in the Indiana Jones movies? C'MAAAAAAHHHHNNN!!
    That's what I've been trying to say! It's pointless.. one is no more unrealistic than the other.