Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy 5 - Jumping a whole shoal of sharks?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    And let's be clear, using rose-tinted glasses as an argument is something that cuts both ways and is a pretty empty argument, you don't see me claiming that it's rampant fanboy hysterics leading people to champion the film.
    I don't think anyone has championed the film as being as good as the originals....just that it's not the worst disaster of all time that the haters make it out to be. They're so concerned with the five minute clip of the fridge that they fail to realize that most of the film fits nicely within the world set up in Raiders, Doom, and Crusade.

I'll be the first to say that Kingdom has it's troubles. Obvious CGI, swinging Labeouf, etc, etc. No rose glasses here. It's just that all of these things don't make it any less of an Indiana Jones film. At least not in this fan's opinion. Looking at the bigger picture and all.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    complaining about Indy surviving seemingly un-survivable situations is like complaining that Superman wears tights. It's part of the character....
    I know the world is fantastical in Indiana Jones films and we let things slide, but--for me and several others--unless that fridge is some sort of unknown holy relic we're all unaware of, it's no dice. It's, to me, what track star zombies are to MZ--a bridge too far.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

I'll be the first to say that Kingdom has it's troubles. Obvious CGI, swinging Labeouf, etc, etc. No rose glasses here. It's just that all of these things don't make it any less of an Indiana Jones film. At least not in this fan's opinion. Looking at the bigger picture and all.
    Fair enough--as I've said before--and I think I need to compare KoCS to the others in a marathon.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I know the world is fantastical in Indiana Jones films and we let things slide, but--for me and several others--unless that fridge is some sort of unknown holy relic we're all unaware of, it's no dice. It's, to me, what track star zombies are to MZ--a bridge too far.
    Well, don't speak too soon Aces, for all we know Indy 5 will be "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Refrigerator"

Super Moderator

UK
    As far as runners, there are exceptions for me.

Return of the Living Dead, Deadlands 1 & 2, Zombieland, and Dead Set to name a handful. Although those titles bring something that washes over the running zombie thing for me ... I still don't dig runners, but those titles (28 Days/Weeks Later aren't zombies - they're infected living people ... same thing with The Crazies 2010) are good by me.

So what I'm saying is, don't let a lead-lined fridge in a clearly fantastical adventure action movie spoil the whole broth.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    No doubt cut by the BBFC from back in the day. Not sure if it's uncut these days (probably), but yeah Temple of Doom was one of those entries that got fiddled around with by the BBFC. I've never seen that 'gore' footage either.
    Cheers Min. I'm not the only one so.

Well, feck that anyway.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As far as runners, there are exceptions for me.
    And I don't automatically hate on all refrigerators. In fact, I get on a little too well with the one in my own home

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland

Ahem.....A Fridge too Far!

Ta da!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm here all week!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Ahem.....A Fridge too Far!

Ta da!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm here all week!
    Can't believe I didn't think of that one. Well played, Shootem!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Imo, you guys are just hating on the new kid on the block because of your rose colored glasses of the originals. Complain about the cgi, monkeys, whatever is involved in the making of the film....but complaining about Indy surviving seemingly un-survivable situations is like complaining that Superman wears tights. It's part of the character....
    Wait, no. Indiana Jones is not a superhero. He's an uncommonly physical archaeologist who gets out of deadly situations with brains, pluck, and a lot of luck. But he doesn't have super powers.

The movies each center around a magical, mystical, or supernatural artifact (regarding Crystal Skull, like Arthur C. Clarke said, any sufficiently-advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic), and obviously one must expect and accept "unrealistic" things that are based on those key plot points. Like the effects of the Ark in movie 1, the stones in movie 2, the Grail in movie 3, and the aliens in movie 4. But like AcesandEights said, there's no indication that the nuclear weapon in movie 4 was some kind of mystical item with special powers unlike any other nuclear weapon (a Holy Atomic Bomb of Alamogordo like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch). The scene was just absurd. Like shootemindehead said, a Fridge Too Far (classic!).

Let's say in the next movie Indy searches for the Fountain of Youth. Upon finding it, he drinks from it and becomes young. That's "unrealistic," yeah, but it's plot-driven and understandable. If during his quest, though, he gets into a fight with some bad guys and jumps over a house to get away from them, or punches his way through a thick stone wall, that's unrealistic in a way that does not flow from the premise of the plot and therefore unforgivable.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Undisclosed
    So let me get this straight. Someone can calmly pull a heart of of another's chest while that person is still living.....but surviving a nuclear blast(something that has happened in the past ) is totally inexcusable?

I give up....
    The thing is is that in Temple the writer and director gave of a reason to suspend disbelief... Magic and there was a logic and mythos built in... In Crystal its just... Ahhh... um... He is indy and he will survive... And literally... "Thats a cool part from on of the many scripts...So lets stick that in here."

I think im with aces on the idea there are too many reasons to list on what is wrong with this film... It's really a film that deserves the red letter media treatment.

While I cannot say the movie is objectively awful I will say there are some serious technical aspect that are sub par... And generally speaking when a films script is literally Frankenstein'd together by several distinct different stories(not different drafts) you don't usually get a story that is cohesive or worth telling.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Wait, no. Indiana Jones is not a superhero.
    Never said he was. Just that he's always a guy in over his head and extremely lucky to make it out of extraordinary situations. It's a staple of the character.

But like AcesandEights said, there's no indication that the nuclear weapon in movie 4 was some kind of mystical item with special powers unlike any other nuclear weapon (a Holy Atomic Bomb of Alamogordo like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch). The scene was just absurd. Like shootemindehead said, a Fridge Too Far (classic!).
    Did the sky diving water raft have mythical powers? That's equally absurd. Just like most of the Jones series...
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Aug-2010 at 12:26 PM.

United States
    Hey, say what you will about "Crystal Skull" not being as great as the other "Indiana Jones" flicks, but this debate about the fridge is just STUPID.

Pick the most realistic one below:

A.) Oh yeah, the Ark of the Covenant killing Nazi's through the power of God. Oh yeah, that's an every day thing.

B.) The Holy Grail granting eternal life to anyone who partakes of it. Right...

C.) Or, wait for it... someone surviving a nuclear blast by securing themselves in a lead-lined fridge?

Okay folks... which of these three are more realistic than the others? C'mon... it's really not that difficult to choose.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Finally....someone else that's seen the first three and knows what the series is about!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Hey, say what you will about "Crystal Skull" not being as great as the other "Indiana Jones" flicks, but this debate about the fridge is just STUPID.

Pick the most realistic one below:

A.) Oh yeah, the Ark of the Covenant killing Nazi's through the power of God. Oh yeah, that's an every day thing.

B.) The Holy Grail granting eternal life to anyone who partakes of it. Right...

C.) Or, wait for it... someone surviving a nuclear blast by securing themselves in a lead-lined fridge?

Okay folks... which of these three are more realistic than the others? C'mon... it's really not that difficult to choose.

j.p.

Someone pass JP the spliff, 'cause he gets it too.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I am not interested in Indy 5. Indy 4 was a slap in the face, much like LAND of the DEAD.

It is time for Spielberg and Ford to hang it up and move the hell on.

Indy 3 was the last decent film, and I will leave it at that... 'nuff said
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*