Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Indy 5 - Jumping a whole shoal of sharks?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'm not sure I believe you, but if you say you liked those things about the film I can't prove otherwise.
    "Lois....I never lie."

Seriously...why would I lie, anyway? I genuinely like Kingdom. It gets a play just as much as the original three. I actually go through phases every 6-12 months where i'll watch the whole series over the course of four days. It will be nice when they release them all on BR.

I'm still trying to figure out why you think I would lie about liking a film.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Let us agree to disagree.

Fine, but I still want you to share whatever it is you're smoking, 'cause it must be gooooooooooooood.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 26-Aug-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Ah but you see . . . your parents have grown up during this time as well. Not from childhood of course. But they have watched the change of Cinema over the past few decades as well. We have been innundated with so much!!! So many movies. . so much advancement in technology, so many changes. So their expectations have changed as well. . . .their view on the "cinema" has matured as well. No matter your age. . .you can be jaded. . . .and that is the problem.
    Ah,..No.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    Ah,..No.
    Ah, great response.

Seriously this argument is like the Why we hate Land of the Dead thread. Either you like the movie or you didn't and people in either camp are amazed that the other camp disagrees with them. It's silly. I hear great arguments on why the movie is great and why it sucks. . . and the same arguments could be made for any movie. . . . .any movie ever. What it boils down to is whether you liked it or not. And never the twain shall meet.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ah, great response.

Seriously this argument is like the Why we hate Land of the Dead thread. Either you like the movie or you didn't and people in either camp are amazed that the other camp disagrees with them. It's silly. I hear great arguments on why the movie is great and why it sucks. . . and the same arguments could be made for any movie. . . . .any movie ever. What it boils down to is whether you liked it or not. And never the twain shall meet.
    Very true. But what else are message boards for? It would be extremely boring around here if we never had any debate and just said "that's your opinion...."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    The first one is a classic, the sencond enjoyable, and the rest well...
    This! Three and four were shite. Four moreso than three, obviously.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Very true. But what else are message boards for? It would be extremely boring around here if we never had any debate and just said "that's your opinion...."
    Meh. . .that's your opinion.

United States
    These are the things that keep it firmly within the realm of the Jones' IMO...
    Cut & paste all of Bassman's list & you've pretty much got all of mine as well.

Ah, great response.

This. I'll go on record again as saying I liked KotCS. Great fun, didn't find it to be silly or unbelievable or whatever other reasons people have for hating it, & thought it was a good companion piece to the rest of the series. The reason I've held off as long as I have about (re)entering the debate is just because I really don't enjoy these type of threads much any more, but...there it is.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    It was pointed out some of the "realistic possibilities" of the first three movies, but, the ark wasn't mentioned, pulling live beating hearts out of chests wasn't mentioned, and neither was the "everlasting life given by drinking water out of a chalace/cup" - so it's comparing apples to oranges. If you want to compare those "realistic" scenes to "realistic" scenes in Indy 4, then perhaps comparing those to the motorcycle chase in part 4 would be more appropriate. You can't compare the fridge scene vs. the "more realistic" parts of the first three.
    You absolutely can compare the fridge scene to the "more realistic" parts of the first three. Here's why. Every Indiana Jones movie has:

A. Wild chases and lucky escapes ("more realistic" parts)
    B. Miraculous effects of a magical/mystical/sacred relic ("less realistic" parts)

In the first three movies, category B includes the ark, pulling live beating hearts out of chests, and everlasting life given by drinking water out of a chalice. In movie 4, category B includes crystal skulls and alien bodies. That is apples-to-apples: category B elements versus category B elements. It's a proper comparison because one expects magical (which for our purposes includes alien technology) things to have magical effects. The Fridge Too Far is not a category B element, it's a category A element. It's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, not Indiana Jones and the Flight in the Lead-Lined Fridge. No magical/mystical/super-alien-technology explanation is given for the scene, unlike all the ones you mention. Therefore, comparing the fridge to other chase/fight/escape scenes from the other movies is not apples-to-oranges, it's apples-to-apples. You're the one making an apples-to-oranges comparison.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    You absolutely can compare the fridge scene to the "more realistic" parts of the first three. Here's why. Every Indiana Jones movie has:

B. Miraculous effects of a magical/mystical/sacred relic ("less realistic" parts)

In the first three movies, category B includes the ark, pulling live beating hearts out of chests, and everlasting life given by drinking water out of a chalice. In movie 4, category B includes crystal skulls and alien bodies. That is apples-to-apples: category B elements versus category B elements. It's a proper comparison because one expects magical (which for our purposes includes alien technology) things to have magical effects. The Fridge Too Far is not a category B element, it's a category A element. It's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, not Indiana Jones and the Flight in the Lead-Lined Fridge. No magical/mystical/super-alien-technology explanation is given for the scene, unlike all the ones you mention. Therefore, comparing the fridge to other chase/fight/escape scenes from the other movies is not apples-to-oranges, it's apples-to-apples. You're the one making an apples-to-oranges comparison.
    If you need a good comparison for the fridge. . look at the raft from the crashing plane, onto a mountainside, then into a river in TOD. Neither are ever gonna fucking happen. . . but they did in an Indy movie. . .so. . .there.

Ireland
    Well, there is sort of precedent there.

There are remarkable stories of guys jumiping from aircraft during WWII and landing in trees etc breaking their fall. Mind you they ended up with broken bones.

True that scene is silly and I've no doubt that if the internet was around in 1984, there would have been people on it moaning about that too.

But, it's still a million miles away from the Atomic fridge.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Well, there is sort of precedent there.

There are remarkable stories of guys jumiping from aircraft during WWII and landing in trees etc breaking their fall. Mind you they ended up with broken bones.
    People have also survived atomic explosions. Without the aid of lead lined fridges. Both are extremely lucky - just like Indiana Jones.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Aug-2010 at 12:09 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post

When you catagorize them in that context using that particular A/B comparison, sure. But, what most are clamouring about is the "realism" of the scene ruining the movie - you CANNOT say "the firdge scene was unrealistic" when half of the content in any indy movie is unrealistc. That's what I was trying to express, perhaps it did not come out that way.

Lets face facts: when does anyone watch Indy for "realism"? Seriously? If you do, you're watching the wrong flick(s).

Quote Originally Posted by bassman
    People have also survived atomic explosions. Without the aid of lead lined fridges. Both are extremely lucky - just like Indiana Jones.
    'nuff said.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 27-Aug-2010 at 12:33 PM.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Yep and they look like this

Don't see how they are lucky after going through that and looking like that.

So Bullshit ont he fridge scene
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Yep and they look like this

Don't see how they are lucky after going through that and looking like that.

So Bullshit ont he fridge scene
    That's only one example you dingbat, so bullshit on your picture being the only possible outcome.

Double Atomic Bomb Survivor - 93 years old

Eat me, Dj.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 27-Aug-2010 at 01:07 PM.