Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Juan of the Dead (film)

Administrator

England
    More Juan love...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57348

I went into this expecting a SHAUN OF THE DEAD clone only with more Cuban cigars, but came out with my stomach literally hurting from having laughed my ass off throughout the entire film. Make no mistake, JUAN OF THE DEAD owes a major debt to its British counterpart. From the concept of an average Joe confronted with an impending zombie apocalypse to the fat comedic sidekick who's horny and dumb as dirt, you could easily write this off as a SOTD knock-off. However, the fact that this film was shot in Cuba and has the 50-years plus background of Communist tyranny behind it, makes this film one of the most fascinating genre mashups ever conceived.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Saw it a little while ago - wholeheartedly reccomend it.

It's a good combo of comedy & horror.

(re-lurking...)
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Administrator

England
    I enjoyed it. Had some nice elements and some good comedy/action. Shame there's a number of daft/silly scenes that unnecessarily trip it up.

Also...

Why did he stay at the end, and why was he set on seemingly certain suicide?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    I caught the last hr of it last night. I was flipping channels and there it was. Too bad it did not watch the entire movie, because it looked entertaining.

United States
    Sorry to go against the tide brothers, but I couldn't make it past the first 10 minutes or so before thinking, "naaa". Always had a problem with subtitled movies as I find it a distraction more than anything else. Any movie I watch has like 10 minutes to grasp my interest. Juan of the Dead missed that grasp on me sadly.
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

UK
    good film , reminded me of shaun of the dead. liked the scene where the harpoon thing gets fired in2 the wooden pole and the wire takes all the zombies heads off

- - - Updated - - -

oh and i also thought Juan's daughter was stunning!!
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Administrator

England
    I enjoyed it. Bit daft and obviously very sexist in places due to cultural differences...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Ha, I started the thread and still haven't even seen it. I've seen the box at the video place, but I just don't know...
    I'm going to have to be in the right frame to see it, methinks.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Ha, I started the thread and still haven't even seen it. I've seen the box at the video place, but I just don't know...
    I'm going to have to be in the right frame to see it, methinks.
    its definitely worth the watch, its a fun hour and a half
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!