Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extra seriously injured during Transformers 3 shoot

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

extra seriously injured during Transformers 3 shoot

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...sformers-3-set

A 24-year-old woman participating in a car stunt suffered a serious head injury during a 'Transformers 3' shoot in northwest Indiana one day before filming was supposed to conclude in the Chicago area.

Extra Gabriela Cedillo was injured on the set Wednesday night along a stretch of Cline Avenue, which was closed to traffic for filming, in East Chicago.

A stunt was apparently being performed during filming when Cedillo, who is not a stuntman, was hurt.

The vehicle was being towed by another vehicle," said fellow extra Blaine Baker. "The cable between the two vehicles broke. It whipped around and sliced through the woman's car and sliced through her skull, apparently."
    Now I know most people dislike the Transformers films, but I thought this would be a good opportunity to discuss accidents like these on films. How often does this shit have to happen in the stunt industry that's supposedly prepared to deal with anything safely? I mean....the woman isn't on the stunt crew....just an extra.

Hopefully she pulls through, but this reminded me of Vic Morrow. Why do they insist on putting people in dangerous situations? Even just a few years ago a stuntman died while testing the tumbler/batpod for The Dark Knight.

You would think in this day and age where CGI can accomplish any stunt safely, that this would no longer be a problem. Seeing as Spielberg wrote off Landis for the Twilight Zone incident, I wonder how he'll react to Michael Bay putting an extra in harm's way...
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Sep-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    u think it woulda been a red flag with the deaths of brandon lee and vic morrow.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm by no means a stuntman, and I never will be, but I have worked as assistant location managers and all I can say is that accidents happen. The real fault here was of course that they didn't properly test that wire, and whoever let that mistake through is finished in Hollywood. The Filmbusiness is funny like that. As soon as an accident takes place, you point out one person as responsible and make sure he pays for it.

Doubt this was a shoot that was overseen by Michael Bay, tho. This sounds like a Second Unit kind of thing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The second unit thing does make sense. But the real issue isn't the faulty wire(although that person needs an ass kicking, too). The real problem is that they had an extra doing a "stunt". I'm no expert, but don't they have secure rigs for towing cars during driving shots? Either that or they mount a camera to the hood? I'm thinking this was more of a special effect seeing as how it was being towed by a single cable, and once that cable broke the car went slamming down the concrete barrier for half a mile...

Of course I don't know the full details of their shoot, but this sounds more like putting the wrong person in the wrong seat. And now she could be dead because of it.

After seeing the cgi Ferrari in Bad Boys 2 and the other Transformers films, I'm convinced that Bay could make an entire chase sequence out of plate shots and cgi vehicles. No lives at risk...

Administrator

England
    Excuse the pun, but heads will roll over this!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Extra...Set-20485.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    As previously mentioned, I doubt Michael Bay had anything to do with this. Although I'm sure there's a Second Unit Director who's deep up to his ankles in shit right now. But not only, the Stunt Coordinator will probably have too look around for a new job.

But this has absolutely nothing to do with the director of the film. You hire a Stunt Coordinator, a person who is expert at stunts and safety. You have to trust his judgement on safety and he takes full responsibility if things fuck up.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    But this has absolutely nothing to do with the director of the film. You hire a Stunt Coordinator, a person who is expert at stunts and safety. You have to trust his judgement on safety and he takes full responsibility if things fuck up.
    Most likely, but we don't really know the whole story. If you remember the Twilight Zone incident, it was Director John Landis that ordered the explosives expert to fire the charges early, thus bringing down the helicopter.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The production will continue to provide all the help we can to Gabriela and her family during this difficult time.
    Translation: We're going to pay her truck loads of money so we can avoid going to court.

As they damn well should. And she's just now beginning to speak again? Horrible...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Translation: We're going to pay her truck loads of money so we can avoid going to court.

As they damn well should. And she's just now beginning to speak again? Horrible...
    Perminent brain damage? Eye stitched shut?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Ms Cedillo's older brother and legal guardian Adolfo Romo said the family was claiming in excess of $50,000 (£31,505) in damages.
    Anywhere in the ballpark of $50,000 is a pittance and probably on par with what she would receive from insurance (I assume they must be insured while on set???). I hope for this young woman's sake and that of her gaurdians' that they will make good with more than that if this accident is found to be in anyway the fault of someone other than herself.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Michael Bay must be cursed this time around. While filming in the nation's capitol, a DC police officer was on his way to a "suspicious package" call, he burst through the set barriers, and well....Bumble Bee, meet the DC police.

That was most likely one of the "hero" cars, too. ouch.

United States
    damn, that camaro got fucked up....probably totaled. take note, dj, your car is not good at collisions.

as for transformers 3, i'm so fucking sick of seeing/hearing about it. how long till the fucking thing comes out so it will drop off the radar?

it's kinda like what's being discussed with the overkill of footage and info coming out about the walking dead series....except i don't give a shit about transformers. i just am worn thin on the whole franchise...and have been since the first one came out.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    damn, that camaro got fucked up....probably totaled.
    I can't even believe there's any probably about it. Total that fucker out.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 12-Oct-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Because...because...I say so!!!!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    And although those cameros are on the general market now, you know they spent a LOT of money doing custom things to it. That's a huge chunk of money gone down the shitter right there. Apparently the loss of this car has shut down production for a few weeks. Maybe they only had one hero car? Not good for those guys...

As for the Transformers series....I wanted to hate on it at first, but i've come around to it. It's just a mindless fun time. And Optimus Prime is a BAD ASS hero of the series. Something about Cullen's voice work gets me pumped.

I don't really understand what people are wanting out of this series. It's about a bunch of big fucking robots fighting each other. And based on a toy line. You looking for something other than cool action and spectacle in something with that premise? Sometimes I think audiences are just too damn jaded these days.

Speaking of....saw this Nick Swardson stand up last night on Comedy Central. Sums up my thoughts on Transformers. Go to 7:00.

Last edited by bassman; 12-Oct-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: big fucking robots