Thread: Death Troopers

United States

Death Troopers

Has anyone got around to reading Death Troopers? It's a zombie novel set in the Star wars universe.

I actually bought it and checked it out. Turned out not to be to terribly bad. I'd recommend at least checking it out.

Zombie Storm troopers and hoards of wookies on an abandoned Star Destroyer?

Classy

People went as far as to make youtube trailers for it.

Death_Troopers-thumb-550x335-24072.jpg

Makes you think though. What other series could use a good zombie tie in?
    Last edited by Exatreides; 09-Sep-2010 at 05:35 PM.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Super Moderator

United States
    I know people here have read it, but the search function is pretty borked right now. That said, I heard very little positive about the book. Very little indeed.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    I keep hearing that it doesn't have the "feel" of a Star Wars book...so it's possible that the complaints come from hard core Warsies.

It's on my to-buy list anyway (got half a dozen SW novels that I haven't read yet, must plough through them before buying any more).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I keep hearing that it doesn't have the "feel" of a Star Wars book...so it's possible that the complaints come from hard core Warsies.

It's on my to-buy list anyway (got half a dozen SW novels that I haven't read yet, must plough through them before buying any more).
    That's what I was thinking too. I remember being quiet excited for this novel, but so far all the mixed reviews has stopped me from buying it.

Yeah, some of it say it's too 'dark', 'grim', 'gory' and 'is not Star Wars'.

Though some other critisism says, 'the characters are one-dimensional', 'no suspense', and you pretty much, know who's expendable or not.

The only positive I've heard though is that the cover is cool.
    Last edited by Doc; 10-Sep-2010 at 08:38 PM.

United States
    Were all fans of the dead films in one way or another and not everyone of them that we have liked has met with the highest reviews. However that shouldn't stop you from at least checking it out from your local library. I haven't read it in awhile, around a year. However I do remember that it wasn't terrible. it's an attempted blending of two different genre's so that always comes with a few snags. maybe I'll re read it and post a detailed review for you guys. Sorta like when I did one for some utter drivel book awhile ago.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

United States
    I listened to the audio version. I'm not a huge star wars fan but i did like the idea of zombies in such a universe. I would say this of the book, it was good but would have been if it wasn't set in the star wars mythos. If it would have been written as non-affiliated sci-fi and certain aspects in the beginning were expanded upon for effect it would have been a fantastic read rather than just good. If you find yourself with a little extra cash pick it up, or more than a little buy the audio version (it was narrated well).

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    avoid it like the plague, its absolutely terrible fan service trash, like adding han solo and chewbacca just because and having them be completely different to how the are in everything else. the story is dull, boring and poorely written. like i said, avoid it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    avoid it like the plague, its absolutely terrible fan service trash, like adding han solo and chewbacca just because and having them be completely different to how the are in everything else. the story is dull, boring and poorely written. like i said, avoid it.
    What I feared!

Han and Chewy in there just cause?

England
    And this is the biggest problem with the EU.

The Star Wars Universe has millions of races, the amount of individuals must be off the scale...we are talking quintillions here (probably more)...yet every other EU novel I have own (and that is around 50 or so) always contains main trilogy characters or has them mentioned in there somehow.

Such a huge galaxy, such a rich tapestry to work with and the authors continue to be lazy fuckers.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    And this is the biggest problem with the EU.

The Star Wars Universe has millions of races, the amount of individuals must be off the scale...we are talking quintillions here (probably more)...yet every other EU novel I have own (and that is around 50 or so) always contains main trilogy characters or has them mentioned in there somehow.

Such a huge galaxy, such a rich tapestry to work with and the authors continue to be lazy fuckers.

s'wy i am absolutely sick of star wars. everyone i know is raving about the upcoming mmo, i said "yeah enjoy hoth, tattoine and dagoba several times over FOR THE 200TH TIME". there hasn't been any major originality in the series for years.

United States
    there hasn't been any major originality in the series for years.

youssa can't be serious!

Super Moderator

United States
    s'wy i am absolutely sick of star wars. everyone i know is raving about the upcoming mmo, i said "yeah enjoy hoth, tattoine and dagoba several times over FOR THE 200TH TIME". there hasn't been any major originality in the series for years.
    Yeah, that's pretty true, I think. It's a proven IP and franchise, hamstrung by it's own success and the dogmatic expectations of the fans. And what a topic pertinent to zombie fandom.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    say, anyone ever compared jar jar binks to big daddy? both were included in the new films to give the audiences something to connect to, and both were total failures and are pretty much universally detested by all fans of the original films.

seems like this has been discussed before, but the search function is FUCKED on these boards since the update, so...

United States
    Yeah, I'm sure the Big Daddy=Jar Jar Binks comparison is common knowledge now.

As, for Big Daddy universally hated...meh..I don't I haven't really seen that much hate for his character to come to that conclusion.

Administrator

England
    It's on my list of things to read... Just not got around to it yet...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan