Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let Me In... looks like more sh*t

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    It's a good enough flick but this "NO FOREIGN LANGUAGE REMAKES EVAR" has come full circle from wanting to preserve a films cultural identity to some bastardized wannabe film snobbery. Like the fact that this is no longer in a foreign language it is automatically lowbrow and uncultured all of a sudden.
    Well said.

There's multiple reasons for doing remakes of foreign films, to be honest. The pretext is always a more palatable film and higher profits, but that doesn't make the specific reasons for the changes invalid. I'd like to find my previous post on the subject, but am disarmed by the borked search engine.

Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Yep, it's the American way!
    Other countries like to remake films in their language for the tastes of their viewers, too. India, for example, springs immediately to mind.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 13-Sep-2010 at 02:33 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    True enough... and granted I was a bit facetious there, but... I don't know, what's said is said. I mean, if getting people to watch an excellent film dubbed into their own language is too much... I don't know... will it help the economy?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    True enough... and granted I was a bit facetious there, but... I don't know, what's said is said. I mean, if getting people to watch an excellent film dubbed into their own language is too much... I don't know... will it help the economy?
    Dunno, turth be told. More product is more product, I guess as long as people are turning a product. In any event, I plan on watching both and have had the original queued in Netflix for a while now.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Let Me In? More like "LET ME OUT OF THE THEATRE!"

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Ha ha! That amuses me, Mike!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Let Me In? More like "LET ME OUT OF THE THEATRE!"
    That's how I felt about the first one.

So I'm holding out hope for this one. Reviews are looking good so far, but they say it's pretty damn similar to the original. Still may not be my cup o tea after all..

Northern Ireland
    The book was great, the original film was good and this new film looks good too, I'll certainly give it a go before I write it off.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsyfn View Post
    That was part of the subtext in the original as well... she does ruin him...
    Not really. He had an unhappy homelife and she gave him companionship and sympathy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    Not really. He had an unhappy homelife and she gave him companionship and sympathy.
    Oh please, the ending shows how she ruins him. She gives him some companionsip and sympathy for a price. And that is a mighty high price.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsyfn View Post
    Oh please, the ending shows how she ruins him. She gives him some companionsip and sympathy for a price. And that is a mighty high price.
    The ending shows him running away with her on train with them playfully "talking" to each other through her coffin.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Exactly! He's not ruined, because he now has a life-long friend! He'll only be ruined when he gets old... and that's not so different from normal people, anyway.

United States
    So a kid, being whisked away from his life to serve as the minion of a vampire isnt ruining him... he will grow old while she stays young, he will never be able to love anyone (ever) besides her, he will have to become a murderer (just like her last minion - who is to say she didnt do the exact samething to him) to supply her with the food she needs to survive... you guys a freaking nuts!

Sure he gets to play and have a companion during the night time... when she is awake... but he will need to stay awake during the day to protect her. That will get old very quick! I would rather live a shitty life where I can love and dictate what I want to do rather than being someones minion.

We can just agree to disagree.
    Last edited by soulsyfn; 15-Sep-2010 at 02:30 PM.

United States
    finally got around to watching the original. didn't really know what to expect, i was pleasantly surprised by how good (and gory) this film was. best vampire movie i've seen in years. that's not saying much, cuz i really got sick and tired of vampire shit after the queen of the damned movie came out...and this twilight/true blood craze is about ridiculous.

i will probably go to see this american version when it comes out. that kid from the road is a pretty solid actor for his age. as for that girl, i really have only seen in the kick-ass previews, and from what i saw, her character annoyed the shit out of me....and she was also in 500 days of summer but was also pretty irritating in that. wish they'd found someone else to play the vampire kid.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Have you ever seen "30 Days of Night", Jared? I just finished watching it on tv, and I gotta say it was pretty good.
    I'll rent this film, as long as the hype's over, and it's less expensive. Still, I don't know why they feel the need to make it... money, I'm guessing.

United States
    no, i've not seen 30 days of night yet, heard some pretty bad things about it....mainly the ending. with the winter and cold weather coming on, i'll probably get around to it one of these days, thanks for the recommendation.

and i imagine that money is a key factor in the making of "let me in". it is a decent story and one that'll probably do well in theaters. another reason is the fact that most americans are too lazy to read subtitles and would rather have their entertainment spoon-fed to them.