Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Florida Pastor May Reconsider Cancellation of Quran Burning

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Ehhhh, I don't believe in all that religion hogwash. It's just a book, who cares if they burn a few?
    This is just showing another way they are trying to squeeze our nuts with that crap. I don't agree with the guy burning that wretched book, but it's his right. No matter for what fucked up reasoning he puts behind it...
    You're absolutely right. I consider myself a fairly ardent supporter of my faith and I agree with you wholeheartedly. It is just a book.

Religious "hogwash" or enlightenment has nothing to do with the matter save for fundamentalist leanings.

Who cares? Well, fundamentalists from any religion are the ones who will raise the biggest bloat about it. It's not "just a book" to them but the literal words of God. From my background I'd argue that Tradition is far more important than anything written down as Tradition is living and evolving -- as opposed to a book in which the words always remain the same (give or take contemporary vernacular interpretations).

And I agree that burning any book is distasteful, but no one specific book is any more important than any other book except for our own prescribed attachments to the emotions and all that "touchy/feely" stuff we ascribe to certain books over others.

Honestly, I'd think I'd rather be more offended in a society where it's amoral to burn what you desire as opposed to expressing your ideology (even if I find the ideology misguided) -- or having to fear arrest over openly singing certain songs or expressing your own opinions no matter how unpopular they may be.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 12-Sep-2010 at 03:00 AM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    This thread holds dozens of perfect examples of why Religion and Patriotism must be completely eradicated from the face of the earth if we're ever going to advance further in our morals. But people would rather just fight and be bigots. And that goes for fucking everyone.

"How dare you build a Mosque so close to ground zero!?" - Well, there are mosques everywhere. Just shut up about it and do something worthwile with your time! Idiots!

"I'm gonna burn this religious text!" - Whyyyy!? Whyyyy!? You fucking retard, drop dead and spare us the misery.

"We're gonna kill you for burning that religious text!" - Is some stupid religious text really worth someones life? Murder and death is something people just don't seem to GET. It's a pretty serious fucking thing and it never changes anything, you fuuuucking idiiiiooooot.

People are so fucking retarded. Start acting like it's the 2000's for fuck sake.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    EvilNed, you remind me of Tom Lehrer in the intro to his song "National Brotherhood Week": "I'm sure we all agree that we ought to love one another, and I know there are people in the world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that!" ;-)
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I've scanned a few posts in this thread and it seems people don't like the idea or support this guy - however to be compeltely honest, I sighed when I read the thread title and am apprehensive to read on...

Not because I think anyone here are bigotted or whatever, I just feel this kind of thread has potential - but not very good potential....the kind that can devolve into arguing and whatnot - although I'm sure this hasn't happened in this thread yet

I'll just say I don't agree with the Pastor and I think in retrospect the mosque isn't that offensive in New York - what's more offensive is the assosciation of Islam with terrorism but that's a chicken and egg argument for another time.

I just hope no one gets killed from this (I heard some protestors were killed somewhere though?) and the situation can rest without deteriorating into a repeat of the dutch cartoonist episode...
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 14-Sep-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    (I heard some protestors were killed somewhere though?)
    In India (Kashmir province). A bunch of people started rioting and attacking a Christian church and school or something. Last I heard, police had killed 18 people in trying to put down the riot.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    All over something that didnt happen...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsyfn View Post
    All over something that didnt happen...
    You could say the same for every war started in the name of religion.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Sep-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Exactly.

Come for the zombies, stay for the biting satirism!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yep, this is why I love it here... you guys just make it so special.

Twitching

United States
    That's an awesome Advertisement for Islam,

"Islam, getting people killed worldwide daily, over things that haven't happened and aren't important."

And Ned, stop throwing stones while you're advocating the elimination of Religion and Patriotism. By doing so you're advocating the mass-murder of more individuals than have been killed in all religious or nationalist-related conflicts throughout history. You can't kill ideas without destroying the brains that contain them. C'mon, your heroes Marx, Lenin, Stalin and Mao Zedong should've taught you that much.

Oh and BTW, for a pro-Communist, you're awful Fascist.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    That's an awesome Advertisement for Islam,

"Islam, getting people killed worldwide daily, over things that haven't happened and aren't important."

And Ned, stop throwing stones while you're advocating the elimination of Religion and Patriotism. By doing so you're advocating the mass-murder of more individuals than have been killed in all religious or nationalist-related conflicts throughout history. You can't kill ideas without destroying the brains that contain them. C'mon, your heroes Marx, Lenin, Stalin and Mao Zedong should've taught you that much.

Oh and BTW, for a pro-Communist, you're awful Fascist.
    I've always found it almost laughable those who prefer Communism over religion being that Communism has been responsible for the destruction and murder of over 100 million people which makes all the terrible conflicts created by religion pale in comparison.

Talk about sheer hypocracy there. Embracing Communism over religion is like a jump from a frying pan into a fire.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Twitching

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I've always found it almost laughable those who prefer Communism over religion being that Communism has been responsible for the destruction and murder of over 100 million people which makes all the terrible conflicts created by religion pale in comparison.

Talk about sheer hypocracy there. Embracing Communism over religion is like a jump from a frying pan into a fire.

j.p.
    Couldn't have said it better myself
    What's really hysterical though is that EVERY long-term pro-Communist nation is ALSO rabidly nationalistic. Russia, Cuba, China, you name it. All of those nations governments rely on the people's pride "In the greatness of their country" to get them to ignore all the horrors inherent in the very governments ruling the nation(s) they're so proud of.

What always amazes me is how Ned can ignore that EVERY TIME Communism takes hold in a nation, the tiny minority which claim and hold power quickly become world-class Despots, whose first task is the complete subjagation of their own people. I mean, in a sick way you have to admire the work ethic and stamina it takes to build a society where your neighbors will Inform on you/Thus Sentance you to long imprisonment or death for an extra loaf of bread or roll of toilet paper. Where children are warped so much that they can genuinely believe with beatific smiles on their faces that they're "Telling on Mommy and Daddy for their own good, to save them from themselves."

Because make no mistake, THAT is what Communism has devolved into EVERY SINGLE TIME it's been allowed to spread like a disease. Gulags, show trials, thought police, mass executions for things as simple as expressing yourself or worshipping the Deity you believe in.

What I DON'T GET is how EvilNed can ignore this historical Constant?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Choice.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Just the other day we were watching Aladdin with my daughter when the Genie(Robin Williams) did an Arseno impression. We were both wondering if people even remember that show. I guess you just answered that question...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    What I DON'T GET is how EvilNed can ignore this historical Constant?
    Faith, man. Faith.

Evil Ned is not a deist or an eternalist, he holds out strict hope, some might even say faith, in the ability of mankind to use our ingenuity to maneuver ourselves out of the muck and mire of not only our base physical problems, but also our conflicting natures. He sees in Communism a great possibility to do this, if only man can be rationale enough to adhere to its doctrines <insert witty cynicism here>. Just like anyone else who holds onto their own views on what would make the world a better place, in spite of some of the glitches the general ism in question might suffer, or have suffered, from.

That's where I think he's coming from, anyway. *Shrug*

This is also the internet and every forum needs a resident communist to hoist the red banner of revolution. He's also a cool dude, in my book.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 16-Sep-2010 at 04:57 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany