Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Florida Pastor May Reconsider Cancellation of Quran Burning

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Florida Pastor May Reconsider Cancellation of Quran Burning

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This guy is a press whore, but not int he good sense. he is a loose screw that needs tightening.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    "Our thought was the American people do not as a whole want the mosque at ground zero. If they were willing to cancel the mosque at the ground zero location or if they were willing to move that location, we would consider that a sign from God,"

WHAT DOES THIS STATEMENT MEAN?

Thats asinine. This mosque seems to be drawing to kinds of ignorance out of the woodwork 1: because there was a tragedy committed by terrorists that were extremists of a single religious group, that religion is evil. 2: if i hide my bigoted opinion behind the christian religion i cannot be wrong.

It's offensive, demeaning, and bigtory to muslims, christians and americans in general.

This man has had the good sense to call off his bookburning, one of the most despicable nonviolent acts people in a cultural 1st world country can commit, but this mosque built blocks away from the site of the world trade center towers -and honestly hat isnt a few blocks away from something on that side of manhattan?, is just bring the worst out of people, it started with people saying its a touching issue, then it had racist white folks riding around on a goddamn missile in a turban, where is this going to end? and this isnt even the stereotype of americas deep south, this is people from the supposed 'more progressive' north going down a steep slope from debate and disagreement to out and out "dont trust those darkys that dont believe in a christian god".

Everything we see on the worldwide news outside america about this is undoing any reparation that was done to american christians to repair there reputation as more than backwards, racist bigots that stopped progressing with the rest of society in the 1500's, and i'm not even american or a christian and thats so damn infuriating that these offensive acts are getting more facetime than any good deed done by people in the same standing in that faith.

I mean honestly, how do they"defend" against these "muslim invaders" they only think so about due to bigoted propaganda? By doing things like riding astride a missile in a turban like some perverse guy fawkes and wanting to burn qourans, which in turn is the kind of thing al quaeda must be thinking "jack-pot!" about in terms of what they can use in turn to turn people against americans.

At best this situation should have been a sit down discussion over an uncomfortable issue. Instead is the ever perpetuating cycle of religion and racial profiling going hand in hand.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    This guy is a press whore, but not int he good sense. he is a loose screw that needs tightening.
    And what's more people follow nuts like this. People need to be more responsible when speaking like he does.

Yes there's freedom of speech but freedom comes with a price: responsibilty.

There's bound to be someone who takes what this guy is espousing too far and it might be a tipping point. Muslims behead people for even depicting their prophet in a bad light. Americans are not ready for that type of next level shit.

You wanna fight islam? Enlist in the military.

They'll give you all you want.

And that's not all. Even patreus is saying this would put our troops in danger and be used as propaganda by those who want us dead much like the photos of Abu Gharib were, don't they realize that?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Burning any books can seem offensive (well, maybe I can make an exception for Michael Moore -- but that's more juvenile drivel than books anyway)... but...

At the same time...

IT'S A BOOK!

We had a visiting priest who celebrated mass at our parish a few years back who intentionally picked up the Book of Scriptures and dropped it on the ground unceremoniously. There was a collective shudder as he looked up and said:

"It's a book people! Just paper and binding and some leather. What matters is what we take from it and what we do from what we take from it."

And he's right. I'd find the burning of the Qu'ran to be distasteful just like I would the burning of the Torah, Holy Bible, Book of Mormon, or Vedas. But offensive? We take offense from something like this because we put some intrinsic value in what the words represent to us and to our lives. They have meaning to us outside of just the ink and paper. By desecrating the work -- it's desecrating the value of the meaning that people can take from these works. I can understand that. At the same time I disagree with the people that become so offended by it. Some do it (burn such books) because they are attempting to hit someone where it hurts on an emotional level -- and people are hurt by it on this emotional level as opposed to a level of intellect or thought.

I say it's silly to worry about burning a book (even if distasteful). As a Catholic I would say that the Scripture of Christ is not in a book but in our hearts and in the actions of our hands. A book is just a book.

I wouldn't advocate burning any books (even Michael Moore) -- but I'd not participate and would turn my head in disgust at seeing it happen. Yet, it wouldn't bother me so much as just make me shake my head in sadness at seeing someone steep to this type of emotional level of attempting to manipulate others.

Of course, I feel differently about burning the American flag... but that's an argument for another day (Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain vast quantities -- even if the vastness of most of that quantity is self-possessed bullshit).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Burning any books can seem offensive (well, maybe I can make an exception for Michael Moore -- but that's more juvenile drivel than books anyway)... but...

At the same time...

IT'S A BOOK!

We had a visiting priest who celebrated mass at our parish a few years back who intentionally picked up the Book of Scriptures and dropped it on the ground unceremoniously. There was a collective shudder as he looked up and said:

"It's a book people! Just paper and binding and some leather. What matters is what we take from it and what we do from what we take from it."

And he's right. I'd find the burning of the Qu'ran to be distasteful just like I would the burning of the Torah, Holy Bible, Book of Mormon, or Vedas. But offensive? We take offense from something like this because we put some intrinsic value in what the words represent to us and to our lives. They have meaning to us outside of just the ink and paper. By desecrating the work -- it's desecrating the value of the meaning that people can take from these works. I can understand that. At the same time I disagree with the people that become so offended by it. Some do it (burn such books) because they are attempting to hit someone where it hurts on an emotional level -- and people are hurt by it on this emotional level as opposed to a level of intellect or thought.

I say it's silly to worry about burning a book (even if distasteful). As a Catholic I would say that the Scripture of Christ is not in a book but in our hearts and in the actions of our hands. A book is just a book.

I wouldn't advocate burning any books (even Michael Moore) -- but I'd not participate and would turn my head in disgust at seeing it happen. Yet, it wouldn't bother me so much as just make me shake my head in sadness at seeing someone steep to this type of emotional level of attempting to manipulate others.

Of course, I feel differently about burning the American flag... but that's an argument for another day (Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain vast quantities -- even if the vastness of most of that quantity is self-possessed bullshit).

j.p.
    it's not the loss of the book thats abominable, its what it represents- That the people destroying the words, whatever they may be, feel they are just and correct in making the statement that the words have no right to exist and should be forgotten. In terms of symbolisms thats exactly the same as burning your flag or your bible. People dont destroy it to go "Ha!, no more book or flag for you!, what you gonna do the next time you want to read or wave a flag!" they are destroying it because they dont think it should exist.

Now imagine these guys wanting to burn your flag, or your bible, sure there will be copies remade, but thats not why they are doing it now is it?

United States
    "Press whore"? Um, I think not. I LIVE here, people. It was very, very local. Someone else got all pissy, and made a big deal out of it, and then every fucknut in existence starting crying "Oh shit, we can't have them doing that!" and blew it way up. He didn't go out searching for the whole fucking planet to start jumping on it, the over-sensitive "it offends me" types and the media did.

And it cracks me the fuck up. Oh, can't offend the fucking Muslims. Please. If they were going to burn a human being, it would only get national coverage for fuck's sake. If they were burning the country's flag, it would barely make the back page of the newspaper. But because it's a fucking religious book, the whole world gets up in arms. Suck. My. Left. Nut. There are a billion copies of the fucking thing, if he burns some, there are plenty more left for you to read. Get a fucking grip on reality.

Sorry if this came off as a rant, but this religious flipping out over a BOOK just drives me crazy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    "Our thought was the American people do not as a whole want the mosque at ground zero. If they were willing to cancel the mosque at the ground zero location or if they were willing to move that location, we would consider that a sign from God,".
    Huh...that almost sounds like...a ransom demand...a TERRORIST THREAT if you will:

"Cancel your mosque at ground zero, or the Quran gets it!"

Twitching

Undisclosed
    This guy's 10 minutes of fame are way up.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    On the one hand we have a prize numpty threating to burn some pieces of paper...

But what we have to realise, is this has then brought out of the woodwork millions of other prize numpties who get upset over some paper being burned, and even threaten action/violence/murder over it? And governments have to get involved too?

It's beyond balmy! But hey! religion is involved and to often that means mad...

At what point do some sheets of paper take on this magical power? If I threated to burn 100 blank pages, I assume no religious nuts would mind. But if I put half the Koran on this paper? Is it then magical? If so, which half? The first half, the second half, or each alternate word? What if I just type one page of the Koran?

It's pathetic, and basically frustrating once again this story has basically highlighted how pig ignorant and retarded some cultures are.

And what's even more annoying is how everyone seems happy to overlook it. Consider this:-

The planned mass burning of copies of the Koran in Florida on Sept. 11 would be "an outrageous and grave gesture," the Vatican's Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue said Wednesday.

Why isn't it MORE outrageous that certain cultures/religions are so intolerant and backward they have to threaten violence and death over this matter? Isn't that the bigger more important issue? Why aren't some Islamic leaders trying to put this matter into context with their followers, "it's just a numpty burning pieces of paper! Grow up and get over it!"
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Enlist in the military.
    Okay.
    Yeah, it really is just a book. It's what it represents that has people in a tizzy. I agree with all y'all. That said... I actually partially burned a book of Mormon... I feel bad about that now.

Administrator

England
    What is represents is just that, a notion and a whim... Nothing more... People are now dying over bits of paper which they didn't know existed, have never scene, and never will!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100910/...n-3fd0ae9.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    People are now dying over bits of paper which they didn't know existed
    I called it yesterday. And these won't be the last.

All because of an arrogant, handle bar mustache wearing asshole that feels the need to push his beliefs on others....

It's dickwads like him that make me not want to participate in service every week...
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Sep-2010 at 01:18 PM.

United States
    For some reason I'm not surprised...

You start burning books and people start dying soon after. It seems to be a common consistency throughout all of history.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever