Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Day of the Dead(original)?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I know Land. Seen it many times.

But what between Land and Day(orig.) seems the same to you? As I said before, aside from the class sytem within the compound and there being more than one smart zombie, I don't really see that much of a connection. Throw me some pointers, here. Maybe I missed something.

Most of it is...well....the theatrical Day of the Dead. Those two bits are the only thing I can think of that carried over to Land. Everything else that differs from the theatrical Day was just dropped entirely...
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Sep-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I see this is your first post. Generally speaking, many people (especially here) consider "Day" to be Romero's finest zombie film and many of us go as far as calling it the BEST zombie film period and, a few of us like me, consider it to be one of the greatest horror films ever made.

General consensus around here about much of anything is non-existent. But many of us would argue (including me) that Romero has lost his touch. If "Day" were to be re-made today, especially by Romero, it would be shit like most other horror films. Why re-make something that is perfectly good as it is? This is another debate there (remakes).

"Day" is a crowning masterpiece of cinema as is -- why mess with that?

j.p.
    +1
    5char
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    But what between Land and Day(orig.) seems the same to you? As I said before, aside from the class sytem within the compound and there being more than one smart zombie, I don't really see that much of a connection. Throw me some pointers, here. Maybe I missed something.
    Well that's it...the whole theme of Land of the Dead was taken from the original Day script. Even after the Zombie Apocalypse, there will still be a system of "haves" and have Nots". Just replace any Reagan-era references with Dubya references.

That and smart zombies.

But I agree with folks who wouldn't want to necessarilly see a straigh remake of the original script. seriously, it needs some tweaks and rewrites.

Y'know, Rhodes screaming "Muldoooooon!" and Bub over-emoting...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well Romero has his MULDOON... he is in SURVIVAL
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Well that's it...the whole theme of Land of the Dead was taken from the original Day script. Even after the Zombie Apocalypse, there will still be a system of "haves" and have Nots". Just replace any Reagan-era references with Dubya references.

That and smart zombies.
    I agree with this sentiment.

And that's the big reason it sucked balls, imo. I know funding was given as the official reason but the script was nothing to write home about.

Me thinks his 20 year obsession to get the script he wanted made was to land's detriment.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Me thinks his 20 year obsession to get the script he wanted made was to land's detriment.
    And what is the excuse for Diary/Survival?

I can see where you guys feel that the original Day script is similar to Land. The biggest difference imo is that the original Day script doesn't beat you over the head with the class issue. Maybe it would've been stronger once translated to screen, but in the script it didn't feel as forced as it does in Land.

The smart zombie thing could've gone either way. Maybe it would've been great like Bub, maybe it would've been the mail man in Survival. I guess we'll never know for sure....
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Sep-2010 at 08:31 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    And what is the excuse for Diary/Survival?
    Being able to do a series with continuity between films?

That he owns the rights to?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That doesn't answer for the quality of said films, Billy.

United States
    Well, that's where it all falls apart, I guess...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfp View Post
    i see this is your first post. Generally speaking, many people (especially here) consider "day" to be romero's finest zombie film and many of us go as far as calling it the best zombie film period and, a few of us like me, consider it to be one of the greatest horror films ever made.

General consensus around here about much of anything is non-existent. But many of us would argue (including me) that romero has lost his touch. If "day" were to be re-made today, especially by romero, it would be shit like most other horror films. Why re-make something that is perfectly good as it is? This is another debate there (remakes).

"day" is a crowning masterpiece of cinema as is -- why mess with that?

J.p.
    100% ditto!

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    This will probably piss off a lot of the hardcore, "ZOMBIES SHOULD NEVER RUN WTF!!!!!" types, but the only person qualified to remake a Romero movie without destroying my eyeballs is Zack Snyder. Although the Tom Savini Night of the Living Dead remake was okay, the acting was extremely terrible.

So if anyone should remake Day of the Dead, it should be Zack Snyder, because Dawn of the Dead was the only good Romero remake, ever.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rawr View Post
    This will probably piss off a lot of the hardcore, "ZOMBIES SHOULD NEVER RUN WTF!!!!!" types, but the only person qualified to remake a Romero movie without destroying my eyeballs is Zack Snyder. Although the Tom Savini Night of the Living Dead remake was okay, the acting was extremely terrible.

So if anyone should remake Day of the Dead, it should be Zack Snyder, because Dawn of the Dead was the only good Romero remake, ever.
    I, personally, liked the "NOTLD '90" remake. It didn't feel so much like a re-make to me so much as an homage to the original and a more contemporary spin on it (can you believe it's been 20 years?). You could tell there was a great deal of love that went into it. Don't be a yo-yo in comparing "NOTLD '90" to "DAWN '04" -- the first is an homage to the original, the second is a gutting of the original (it could be argued that it's a not badly done gutting -- but it's still a gutting). The "DAY" re-make is just a frakking travesty of film-making and should be burned.

As far as your second paragraph. All I have to say is: ahem, Frank Darabont.

That's all.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 20-Nov-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: yes
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I liked the 90s Day remake, I really did... But the acting was terrible, especially in the main character. Tony Todd was the only saving grace to that cast, and I'm sure that's where most of the cast budget went. Also, I must agree that Frank Darabont would do an excellent job on a zombie film, as TWD has proven to be better that most zombie flicks, episode-after-episode. I stand corrected.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I, personally, liked the "NOTLD '90" remake. It didn't feel so much like a re-make to me so much as an homage to the original and a more contemporary spin on it (can you believe it's been 20 years?). You could tell there was a great deal of love that went into it. Don't be a yo-yo in comparing "NOTLD '90" to "DAWN '04" -- the first is an homage to the original, the second is a gutting of the original (it could be argued that it's a not badly done gutting -- but it's still a gutting). The "DAY" re-make is just a frakking travesty of film-making and should be burned.

As far as your second paragraph. All I have to say is: ahem, Frank Darabont.

That's all.

j.p.
    Well said JD - Night 90 was pretty cool and while I don't necessarily agree with those that have declared Daramont the king and Romero as irrelevant, I think that Snyder is not fit to smell Savini's shit, let alone Daramont's or GAR's or our own Gary Ugarek's shit either!

Snyder's DOTD is a remake in name only, and while entertaining in a action movie kind of way I think it is totally inferior to NOTLD 90 (which to me is the only GAR remake that is redeemable)

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rawr View Post
    I liked the 90s Day remake, I really did... But the acting was terrible, especially in the main character. Tony Todd was the only saving grace to that cast, and I'm sure that's where most of the cast budget went. Also, I must agree that Frank Darabont would do an excellent job on a zombie film, as TWD has proven to be better that most zombie flicks, episode-after-episode. I stand corrected.
    I did not mind the acting in Savini's remake (you obviously meant NOLD and not the DAY remake which is in a different category of stink altogether), though some of it admittedly was a but clunky. But I do think the acting overall in Snyder's DAWN IN NAME ONLY was subpar. I do agree with you, however, that TWD is head and shoulders above most of the crap that passes for zombie films these days.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 21-Nov-2010 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Why do I have to have a reason, and why must I explain my reasons? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Snyder's DOTD is a remake in name only, and while entertaining in a action movie kind of way I think it is totally inferior to NOTLD 90 (which to me is the only GAR remake that is redeemable.
    +1 to This.

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    But I do think the acting overall in Snyder's DAWN IN NAME ONLY was subpar.
    I'd probably blame that on the writing. The cast was a decent-to-strong enough group of actors, who turned in (for the most part) solid performancs with what they had. But the way they were written? Eh, there's only so much you can do with THAT.