Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "why don't people like Alan Wake"

England
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    I'll tell ya why I dont like Alan Wake...

Dude broke into my apartment, smoked all my stash, drank all my beer, crank called my Mom, teabagged the cat, produced a movie with running zombies, pissed all over my comics, left polaroids of his genitals everywhere, stole my car and crashed it, shouted racial epithets at the neighbors, burned down my garage, ruined my credit rating, and promoted his new book.

Alan Wake is a dick.
    It's posts like these that keep me coming back here...this place is chock full of crazy folk!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, without reading the thread and just giving my honest first impression of the game, I will say that after playing through the 1st episode last night, I was really digging the theme, story and mood of the game. My big problem with this chapter is that it seems to be very linear, point A to B, which is not what I like in a lot of my games nowadays. I am hoping that future chapters (though I do not expect all of them) will allow a more open-ended approach and some exploration of the town and its environs in a bit more free form fashion. I think, however, that I'll be disappointed in this regard and hope I'll be able to make do with the well done sense of atmosphere and tense bits of run, run, flashlight/combat, run, run.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, it was a right old bugger to the bollocks that was. They should have seen if they could have launched earlier, because delaying due to RDR would have been a bit of a PR disaster, but equally going earlier might have been impossible, so RDR rode into town and cocked up their sales figures noticeably I think ... although I bought both brand new ... and Wake did launch a week earlier here in the UK, so you do wonder "why didn't they launch a week earlier in the US as well?" - they might have sold a few more that way.

Ideally they should have launched in 2009, but oh well ... I still love the game, even if it's not what it was intended to be originally, and even thought it has some rough edges or stuff that I'd have done differently/added/tweaked etc (yes, including more daytime play so you can really explore the town and the people - while it's become a more linear, episodic game, having such sections could have given a bigger bite of the 'sandbox' type of gameplay that ultimately they couldn't deliver on fully).

Sometimes devs bite off more than they can chew, but at least they delivered a quality and lovingly crafted product in the end - it's just a damn shame that so many were either switched off to it, or bought RDR instead of getting Alan Wake in addition/in place of RDR. It's a good thing they didn't do a 3D Realms!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's good to aim high though. Even if you ultimately fall short of your stated goal atleast the final product will still come out better than most.

In that respect I think hells is right. Knowing what it should have been is definitely affecting people's feelings about it.

The lack of a sandbox format seems to be the major complaint in this thread. No one ever has that gripe about Silent hill. But imagine if Sh was promised to be what alan wake once did. I'm sure people would have a problem with that game as well in that respect.

It's like the saying goes: Sometimes it's best to not know what you're missing. Ignorance is bliss.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    so hellsing, wtf is the news about RE 1.5 that you mentioned?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You can go to you tube and search for it and it will show you in game demo clips of what the original game was supposed to be.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    yeah, i know that, but if you read hellsing's article closely, you might have noticed:

Yet no matter how great resident evil 2 was, we always want to see the "resident evil 1.5" that might have been (which is actually possible- more on that at another time),...
    that's what i was referring to. trust me, i've seen that footage and believe it or not, still would shell out some $$$ for an old-school RE game if it was worth it. i could live with the new controls/gameplay mechanics (maybe add in the ability to move and shoot at the same time, though) as long as there was old-school RE story-line/atmosphere....like the mansion or raccoon city revisted/remade/whatever. just none of that las plagas shit or puching boulders, co-op, dirt-bike rides, etc.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    yeah, i know that, but if you read hellsing's article closely, you might have noticed:

that's what i was referring to. trust me, i've seen that footage and believe it or not, still would shell out some $$$ for an old-school RE game if it was worth it. i could live with the new controls/gameplay mechanics (maybe add in the ability to move and shoot at the same time, though) as long as there was old-school RE story-line/atmosphere....like the mansion or raccoon city revisted/remade/whatever. just none of that las plagas shit or puching boulders, co-op, dirt-bike rides, etc.
    Yes i did notice that and i would pay to play that as well.

I still think a remake of RE2 is way over due. I still play the remake of the original on gamecube and it holds up remarkably well.

It boggles the mind that they keep churning out bullshit remakes the likes of prince of persia yet this classic has not recieved similar treatment.

Super Moderator

UK
    There was an article on Yahoo about product placement in games, and they blamed Alan Wake's poor sales on just that - product placement - completely forgetting to mention or consider that RDR launched ON THE SAME DAY!

*face palm*

Jesus Christ...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There was an article on Yahoo about product placement in games, and they blamed Alan Wake's poor sales on just that - product placement - completely forgetting to mention or consider that RDR launched ON THE SAME DAY!

*face palm*

Jesus Christ...
    yeah, one thing i think is more prevalent is that a massive sandbox game that was made in less than 5 years came out the same day as this, for some, nuetered alan wake.

I think some people saw the final product like halo odst to halo 3, as some small offshoot of a much larger, more varied game. but i think i already wrote enough on the subject,lol.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Odst was the best halo to date, (exluding reach, haven't played it yet.) imo.

Not the storyline of course. Just saying in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Odst was the best halo to date, (exluding reach, haven't played it yet.) imo.

Not the storyline of course. Just saying in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Fucking brofist ese', best soundtrack as well. neon night is su-fucking-perb/

United States
    hellsing brah, third time, what does this mean? elaborate, please...

Yet no matter how great resident evil 2 was, we always want to see the "resident evil 1.5" that might have been (which is actually possible- more on that at another time),...

fuck another time, inquiring minds want to know what's up with aforementioned possibilities of playing RE1.5.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    hellsing brah, third time, what does this mean? elaborate, please...

fuck another time, inquiring minds want to know what's up with aforementioned possibilities of playing RE1.5.
    that i was gonna write an article about it, maybe torrent a copy and burn it to a disk is all. why not torrent it yourself, the rips from the demo are out there to find, i just recently acquired a chipped ps1 to do it with.

United States
    oh, okay. thanks for the heads-up, wasn't aware that was possible. would i have to have a playstation to do that or could a pc handle something like that?

wasn't there word recently (last year or so) from capcom concerning a RE2 remake? man, sucks that i don't have a PS system anymore...i still have my copy of RE2...guess i could run it down for the wii.