Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "why don't people like Alan Wake"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    wasn't there word recently (last year or so) from capcom concerning a RE2 remake?
    WHAT!?!

Did I read that right?

Me and hells have been pining for the possibility of that for years now.

Something along the lines of the gamecube remake of the original. Straight remake with some twists and turns to keep it fresh.

I also like the new "close range" weapons they employed like the stun gun and grenade.

As a matter of fact i need to go play that now.

Is there a link to what you mentioned by the way?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-mi...c-123429.phtml

this is kinda what i was talking about, seems like the time frame is around when i was referring to...basically it's just vague salesman wording from some capcom guy and internet speculation, but who knows. a RE2 remake would be a monster exclusive for the wii to land. hear that, nintendo?

i actually have the REmake for the gamecube, but it's at my brother's place back in my hometown. will have to get that back next time i'm there. i've not played any gamecube games using the wii.

but yeah, that alan wake, it wasn't nearly as good as RE2, which imo, is the king of survival horror games.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thnx.

It would be a cool co-op/multiplayer mode to have two players playing claire and leon's scenario's simultaneously in real time, like it was meant to be in the game.

Because you know every game nowdays has to have an element of that in it. That would be interesting. Just none of that resident evil 5 crap they tried to pull on us.

Part of the horror and tension was that you were ALONE.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'll let you know later this month when I finally bother to pop it in the 360! My GF bought it as her 'video game for the Summer' but that didn't pan out so well for her (I was surprised by her choice of the game, frankly)..
    i'd trade in every threesum I've ever had for a girlfriend who plays computer games....
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    i'd trade in every threesum I've ever had for a girlfriend who plays computer games....
    Now that's some local co-op!
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    The grass is always greener...

Last edited by darth los; 17-Sep-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Now that's some local co-op!
    yeah but when I asked "slayer?" she replied "but I don't even know her!"
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've just thought of something - Mark Kermode just did his thoughts on YouTube about Scott Pilgrim vs The World, and he defined it as a "cult hit" - and a true one at that - a film that set out to be great, but which failed to find a wide audience despite trying.

Similiarly, I would consider Alan Wake in the same context a "cult hit". They clearly were trying to make something great and reach a wide audience (naturally), but that didn't happen and they fell short of what they'd hoped - but it doesn't diminish the fact that Alan Wake is a ruddy good game (even if, as hellsing has said in his blog post, it didn't get to the finish line that they originally intended, instead finishing elsewhere as a different - but still superior - product).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Put it this way.

If RE 6, Sh 8 and Alan Wake 2 came out on the same day I'd choose AW. And that's no small thing.

I've been an RE fan for as long as I can remember and Sh has always come in second but to choose alan wake over them both?

Yes, it's that damn good.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Put it this way.

If RE 6, Sh 8 and Alan Wake 2 came out on the same day I'd choose AW. And that's no small thing.

I've been an RE fan for as long as I can remember and Sh has always come in second but to choose alan wake over them both?

Yes, it's that damn good.

i dunno, silent hill 8 is from a new developer so theres every chance it could be brilliant, and resident evil 6 is, like dmc, an entirely new universe just using past games for inspiration. so i'm not writing them off. As for alan wake every time i've spoken to one of the blokes at remedy they are just the worst at the usual "oh urr......we havent said anything concrete" or "now,ur,um... just because we are working on something doesn't mean its alan wake 2"

BOLLOCKS.

if you released footage on the making of dvd saying "these are things we hope to implement in ALAN WAKE SEASON 2" and have an officially run wiki that already talks about "ALAN WAKE SEASON 2" then its like saying "i am totally not going to demolish this building" AS you are holding out your thumb to gauge where to swing the wrecking ball you are driving

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i dunno, silent hill 8 is from a new developer so theres every chance it could be brilliant, and resident evil 6 is, like dmc, an entirely new universe just using past games for inspiration. so i'm not writing them off. As for alan wake every time i've spoken to one of the blokes at remedy they are just the worst at the usual "oh urr......we havent said anything concrete" or "now,ur,um... just because we are working on something doesn't mean its alan wake 2"

BOLLOCKS.

if you released footage on the making of dvd saying "these are things we hope to implement in ALAN WAKE SEASON 2" and have an officially run wiki that already talks about "ALAN WAKE SEASON 2" then its like saying "i am totally not going to demolish this building" AS you are holding out your thumb to gauge where to swing the wrecking ball you are driving
    lolz

I'm glad to hear it because both of those are among my favorite franchises and are in desperate need of a reboot. I wouldn't even be suprised to see Sh implement some things from AW.

Now as for RE I don't even know where to start. There's no question the old gameplay was getting stale but i don't think any true fans wanted what the series has become. It's basically a 3rd person action shooter now and that's a shame.

If only there was way to implement the best from the old and new styles to make the ultimate RE game.

And they really need to tie up some loose ends already. We haven't heard from Barry or sherry since the mid to late 90's.

Last edited by darth los; 17-Sep-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Undisclosed
    The only problems I have with AW : lack of gore; weapons not passing over to the next chapter; and it drug on during the first half of the game. I spent most of the time fleeing towards a light.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    The only problems I have with AW : lack of gore; weapons not passing over to the next chapter; and it drug on during the first half of the game. I spent most of the time fleeing towards a light.
    I see what you mean by gore but until you just now mentioned it i didn't even notice. (Of course i noticed the lack of blood but by that i mea the game was sary as hell without it and didn't need it, imo).

Sort of like the texas chainsaw masacre is remembered as being one of the goriest films of all time when that's really not the case. I actually applaud the devs of AW to keep us scared even without blood.

Repetitive enviroments and enemies were definitely an issue, but I'm nitpicking as I think the game is totally awesome. But I mean, how many times are we gonna have to navigate through a forrest with baddies chasing us?

And not being able to carry over weapons was definitely a bummer but i can see why they did it. It actually fit into the story. Normally, you would come across weapons fairly quickly when beginning a new chapter so it wasn't that big of an issue for me.

Super Moderator

United States

Thumbs up

Finished the main storyline this afternoon, after a day of playing hooky from work. I have to say I have done an almost complete 180 from my initial response to the game! Though I never quite got the free-roaming exploration I wanted, I did get a well crafted story, fun & interesting characters, great level design and intense--at times desperate--action. I really loved the ambience and care that was put into the whole thing, and--even though it seemed somewhat cribbed--the storyline was superb.

I'm enjoying my afterglow.

I'm not going to go back and read the rest of the thread just yet...but I will when I finish The Signal
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 20-Sep-2010 at 09:55 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    it does get better when its revealed barry is not a greasy cliche' agent but a true fucking bro by the end.