Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "why don't people like Alan Wake"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

"why don't people like Alan Wake"

http://racooncitytimes.blogspot.com/...alan-wake.html

I wrote a somewhat lengthy article about the problems that may have influenced the opinions about Alan Wake, investigate at the link above won't you?

United States
    pretty good read, learned a thing or two. this site was the first time i'd ever heard of the game, and given what it was hyped to be, what it was, and what it could have been, i see where the disappointment comes from, especially if you were a fan of max payne and had followed it all that time.

i bought the game for 40 bones and still felt like i'd paid too much. sold it to a buddy of mine who's an aspiring writer (he also suffers from insomnia and that game is right up his alley) for 20 bucks. i wasn't that impressed with the game. sure it had its moments, but overall it was pretty weak and short of spectacular.

nice job of bringing up the RE 1.5 issue, that's a game i was beyond excited for. while i totally loved Re 2, i still wonder how that first demo video i saw on a playstation magazine disc would have been like to play....so what's with the tidbit you teased about there?

oh, now you should do an analysis about why people don't like scott pilgrim...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post

oh, now you should do an analysis about why people don't like scott pilgrim...
    for the exact same reason i like it enough to admin the official forum, because its hipster videogame bullshit

Super Moderator

United States
    I'll let you know later this month when I finally bother to pop it in the 360! My GF bought it as her 'video game for the Summer' but that didn't pan out so well for her (I was surprised by her choice of the game, frankly).

I tell you, I've been putting it off, as it seems like another highly involved game amongst a sea of them and I'm just coming down off the high from my return to FO3 after a loooong, loooong break and my time with ME2. Hell, I still have to go back and finish Dragon Age.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't know the years of back story to this otherwise I would've been a bit ticked about "what could've been" - that not being the case, I wasn't disappointed with AW at all, but I guess it's like the old saying "ignorance is bliss"

Good write-up though, hellsing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good write up.

I think the game is much prettier now than what was previously shown.

I have no regrets with the way the game turned out and I absolutely can't put it down, right hells?

I think MZ btought up a while back that he would have loved to have a bit more exploration and interaction in Bright falls during the daytime. I agree.

At other times the game feels linear and like I'm boxed in. I would have liked a more wide open world where there were multiple ways i go go and complete my objectives. Completing these objectives would have different ramifications later on depending on the choices you make.

Hey, if SH homecoming cna do it why not AW?

Imo, there is sure to be a sequel in the works. A game with that pretty an engine and depth of story simply has to.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was all for the game before it's release. Then everyone that played it kinda gave it a "meh", so I decided to hold off...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's the best game of that kind I've played in a long time bass. Great story, great atmosphere.

I defy you to set the mood, play it with the lights off and NOT run through a forest saying "oh shit!, oh shit! oh shit!".

The funny thing is at times nothing jumps out at you at all. But that's what true horror is. The anticipation of what might happen.

Does it have it's flaws, of course. Almost every game does. But it's a solid 9 out of ten, imo.

Last edited by darth los; 14-Sep-2010 at 08:45 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I'll tell ya why I dont like Alan Wake...

Dude broke into my apartment, smoked all my stash, drank all my beer, crank called my Mom, teabagged the cat, produced a movie with running zombies, pissed all over my comics, left polaroids of his genitals everywhere, stole my car and crashed it, shouted racial epithets at the neighbors, burned down my garage, ruined my credit rating, and promoted his new book.

Alan Wake is a dick.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Alan Wake is a dick.

BillyRay, I'm sure you already know this, but damn dude, you have problems..

United States
    Yeah, got a problem with Alan Wake...

(That greasy-faced, bad-breathed, Palin-voting, flashlight diddler.....)
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Yeah, got a problem with Alan Wake...

(That greasy-faced, bad-breathed, Palin-voting, flashlight diddler.....)
    technically it was a licensed enigizer fleshlight

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    technically it was a licensed enigizer fleshlight
    Something funny I noticed. We all know that the main game is chock full of product placement but in the signal DLC there is no such thing. The batteries he uses are of a generic variety.

Anyone know why that is?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was just thinking about this and forgive me if it's been covered, but releasing AW at the same time as Red Dead Redemption was probably a big mistake. I remember seeing reviews and shows on TV saying "which one should you get? It's obvious....RDR". Those reviews and the general public's anticipation for RDR probably did the most damage to Wake's income...
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Sep-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I was just thinking about this and forgive me if it's been covered, but releasing AW at the same time as Red Dead Redemption was probably a big mistake. I remember seeing reviews and shows on TV saying "which one should you get? It's obvious....RDR". Those reviews and the general public's anticipation for RDR probably did the most damage to Wake's income...
    I agree. It's like releasing a film the same weekend as a much long anticipated summer blockbuster.

People are going to go see that instead.