Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Carpenters 'The Ward'

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well seeing as it's got Amber Heard in it, I'll give it a spin sometime.

It got a 3/5 in Total Film, and I've seen such scores elsewhere, so not bad - but not great either - but it sounds like it's worth at least a watch/rental.

United States
    Been waiting for this one for awhile. Love, love, love Carpenter & am willing to at least give an movie he puts out a chance.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Been waiting for this one for awhile. Love, love, love Carpenter & am willing to at least give an movie he puts out a chance.
    The last film I enjoyed of his was "Memoirs of an Invisible Man"...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The last film I enjoyed of his was "Memoirs of an Invisible Man"...
    Quite liked "In The Mouth Of Madness" good HP Lovecraft by way of Stephen King end of the world fun. .

"Village Of The Damned" I remember as "meh",

I enjoyed "Escape From LA" a lot more than I should. Basically a (inferior) remake of the first, but the LA setting was used to good effect, liked a lot of the "bit" characters, I loved seeing Kurt as Snake again & LOVED the ending.

"Vampires" I enjoyed.

"Ghosts Of Mars" I was really disappointed with, but kind of want to see it again with fresh eyes.

So overall on the smiley scale :

Last edited by MoonSylver; 22-May-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: tie-po

United States
    Rented The Ward last night. Was very not impressed from the start. I don't want to ruin it but...
    Nevermind.
    Actually made The Ring look good, and that's a feat in itself...

United States
    I enjoyed it. . . It was however, nothing new or special.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'll check out anything by carpenter. i thought he kind of lost it until i saw "cigarette burns." haven't seen this one yet but plan on it.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Oh yeah Cigarette Burns was pretty damned cool. Very dark and dreary that one. . .and a very interesting concept.

Carpenter has always been a very capable director. And this one is not less capably rendered than any of his other movies. . .metter than some actually. but the plot was . . . well. . . .as they say, nothing new under the sun.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."