Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video game moments that scared you

Aaland

Video game moments that scared you

Talk about what game moments just freaked you out.

I think the worst for me ever was in Resident Evil 2 when the licker jumps out from behind the mirror... I almost broke my window throwing the controller out of shock.

United States
    i still fondly recall the first resident evil game when the dogs jumped through the window at me. pretty freaky stuff.

i just recently picked up a used copy of RE2 for the gamecube, gonna beat the REmake then start up that one.

can't think of many games outside of the RE series that really ever got to me like those first couple of games did.

Aaland
    I remember that one too, it got me the first round throught as well. But that licker in RE2 still gets me to this day lol.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As mentioned before, Resident Evil 2. It was the last RE game I played and it had some genuinely scary parts. There's also a certian level of Ghostbusters with kid's voices and handprints on the walls. Something about kids as ghosts gives me the heebie jeebies.

United States
    Alien vs Predator 2 going into an alien hive to rescue a fellow marine taken by Aliens. Everyone else in the squad takes off in the APC, so you have to enter the underground lair alone. One guy with a shotgun versus a whole hive of aliens?
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 21-Sep-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    not much scares me in games nowadays but this reminds me of the glorious "nope" threads on 4chans/v/ board. just pages of greentext storys like:

>playing stalker.
    >in abandoned building.
    >need something from across large dark room.
    >hear rasping heavy breathing.
    >NOPE.
    >snap disc in half and never play it again.

shame those things only last a short while some are pure fried gold.

Administrator

England
    Some parts of Fear I found gave me the heebie-jeebies...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    not much scares me in games nowadays but this reminds me of the glorious "nope" threads on 4chans/v/ board. just pages of greentext storys like:

>playing stalker.
    >in abandoned building.
    >NOPE.

wait, i got one.

>Playing fatal frame.
    >piss my pants through 1st night.
    >2nd night starts.
    >ghosts can follow you through doors now.
    >NOPE.
    >never finish it. but have a great time with its sequel.

England
    I found the "valkyr" dream sequences in the first Max Payne game quite scary! And a few parts of the first silent hill game were pretty creepy too. Other than that, I've had a couple of jumpy moments in FPS games where an enemy has appeared when I least expected it!
    The spec-ops missions in ARMA 2 are quite scary too, they give you that real life bowel clenching feeling that very few games can ever reproduce when your sneaking around evading patrols etc

Super Moderator

UK
    As bassman said, the vocal children ghosts in Ghostbusters is pretty damn creepy - it wigs me out every time - and further to that in Doom 3 when the demon cherub things come out I flipped my shit. It was fucked up in general, but the goddamn audio was too much.

Doom 3 was a scary-ass game in general. I also remember playing the first Half-Life at a mate's house in the middle of the night with the sound off - and I'd never played it before - and I remember leaping out of my chair constantly at it, not entirely sure why, but it kinda freaked me out - must have been the atmosphere.

Also - hell yes - STALKER is bat-shit scary, especially when in those underground labs ... FREAKED ME OUT BIG TIME. Too goddamn scary those bits ... and it's why they're awesome I suppose. Some parts of BioShock were scary - or rather, intimidating - there are numerous games like that where there's this pervasive sense of dread rather than out-right fear.

Alan Wake had such an affect on me. I was never really terrified, but I had a frequent sense of looming dread throughout most of the game, and that was far creepier.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post

>playing stalker.
    >in abandoned building.
    >NOPE.

I have no idea what the above means.

United States
    Very Beginning of Silent Hill when your walking around with your zippo using it for light. Then little children with knives come out and you realize 2 things.

1. Shit, I don't have a f-ing weapon...

2. Shit, no place to run....

Some of the creature of the Silent Hill games are pretty screwed up. One I recall is a bed frame with a mass of something in the middle moving around like something under a bed sheet. Turns out, one of the women you meet in the game was molested by her father and it symbolizes her father's sin.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Resident Evil had plenty of moments that scared me shitless. Even got me when I was recently playing it on the DS.

Silent Hill 2 had a few moments.

Fatal Frame was almost entirely spent with my blood-pressure going through the roof.

Clock Tower had its moments when the maniac would bust out of nowhere with those god damn shears.

Oh, and, in FPS' such as Bad Company 2, if I'm playing online and it's really quite for a while, then I turn around and an enemy shoots me in the face point blank, I usually jump and scream (I have the volume way up).

England
    Aye that part in Doom 3 with the baby things was creepy! despite the criticisms the game gets, it had plenty of atmosphere & some of it was properly scary! Agreed on STALKER as well, it definitely had its moments, especially when wandering around in one of those underground places & you see some nasty looking creature skulking about in your torchlight.
    I remember the first time you come across "pyramid head" in Silent Hill 2 being a bit scary too

United States
    Pac-Man.

He's being chased and eaten by g-g-g-GHOSTS!!!
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.