Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended traditional zombie books

Australia

Recommended traditional zombie books

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a new zombie book to read & I thought it would be cool to compile a list of traditional zombie books, ie, books with "normal" zombies.

No supernatural stuff added (talking, driving, flying, mind reading etc). Fast moving zombie books are OK but just make a note.

Does anyone have any to add to the list?

Traditional Zombie Book List

• Day By Day Armageddon by JL Bourne

• Day By Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile by JL Bourne

• Dead Sea by Brian Keene

• Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Strain by Z.A. Recht

• Pride & Prejudice & Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Prequel) by Steve Hockensmith

• Pride & Prejudice & Zombies by by Seth Grahame-Smith

• World War Z by Max Brooks

Last edited by ZombieGrrL; 22-Sep-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    zombies
    eat flesh.

Super Moderator

United States
    Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Strain by Z.A. Recht -- The book is pretty solid, though I do not think there will a conclusion to the planned series, as I had heard the author has died. It is still worth the read, in my opinion. There is a follow up that has been published, but I have not picked it up yet.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 21-Sep-2010 at 03:43 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Australia
    Thanks AcesandEights, I'll have to check that one out.... added to the list.
    zombies
    eat flesh.

United States
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Written After but a Prequel)

I actually had never heard of Pride and Prejudice until about 6 months ago. I was in Afghanistan and went into the morale center and they had this big bin of free donated books. I started digging through them and found PPZ and thought well it has zombies in it why not. When I started reading it I really struggled because it was slow but I pushed through because it has zombies right? Well, I finish this book and one day at work I'm talking to a coworker about it and he starts talking about the Original Pride and Prejudice. I got really confused and finally connect the dots. So I did some research.

The author of PPZ read the Original PP and thought there is lots of places to put Zombies in the storyline. There is a military stationed nearby for no reason. They constantly go on walks by themselves.

It's really not that bad of a book. Without the humor in it though I don't think I would have made it to the end.

Just a warning though. Both books don't relate to each other so well. They are similar. but you can tell they were written by 2 different people.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 22-Sep-2010 at 07:03 AM.

England
    "Attack of the Flying Voodoo Time Travelling Zombies from Space" is out then...

Seriously though "World War Z" rocks (if you haven't already read it).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Australia
    Thanks Mr. Clean. I was looking at P&P&Z but it didn't really appeal to me, but if you think it's worth reading I will give it a go. I haven't read the original but I have seen the mini series with Colin Firth (I'd love to see him fighting zombies!!!!).

I had no idea there was a prequel!
    Last edited by ZombieGrrL; 22-Sep-2010 at 11:06 AM.
    zombies
    eat flesh.

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    "Attack of the Flying Voodoo Time Travelling Zombies from Space" is out then...

Seriously though "World War Z" rocks (if you haven't already read it).
    Haha ---- flying voodoo time traveling zombies! Wow!

Can you believe, I totally forgot about World War Z! I've read that one, I liked bits & pieces. Thanks Legion2213!!!
    zombies
    eat flesh.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Anything from Remy Porter.

Aaland
    I agree with WWZ. Such a well written book and it keeps you interested by seeing things through hundreds of people rather than just one continuous story line.

Twitching

United States
    Undead: (Based on Night of the Living Dead, heavy Romero influence.)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry, excellent book. Much like what a Land-like world shoulda been without Big Daddy and other stupidity. Recommend it.
    2012 The Zombie Apocalypse
    Z1N1: The Zombie Pandemic: 2012 Was Just the Beginning
    Eden & Crusade
    Afterlife
    Eve of the Dead
    Apocalypse of the Dead
    Last of the Living
    The Omega Effect: A Zombie Novel

Basically just go to Amazon.com and once you navigate to the Books section, type in Zombie, click a likely book from the list, and at the bottom of its page will be 13 pages of related/similar books. Several hundred decent zombie books there.

Edit: The Living Dead 1 & 2, The Mammoth Book of Zombies and The Mammoth Book of Zombie Apocalypse are all excellent anthologies of excellent zombie stories. Just check Amazon or your local Barnes and Nobles/Books-a-Million or Borders. All of em seem to carry a lot of zombie books these days, ever since The Year of the Zombie.
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 23-Oct-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Added info.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I just finished Pariah by Bob Fingerman and it was pretty sweet. I've been after zombie novels. there are some good zombie anthologies, but some of the short stories are pretty out there or don't even have zombies in the stories at all. there is The Living Dead and the New Dead 1 & 2. A new book I'm going to buy next is the reapers are angels. it seems like a good read.

Like you I need romero world zombies. no talking, driving or flying zombies. just my personal taste.

United States

Dude... 2 posts in your entire time here and both invlove the book Pariah? Move on, move on, nothing to see here folks...

United States
    Pa-hahahahahah, good to see you're still out there DP!
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Undisclosed

Traditional Zombie Books

I second the suggestion of Maberry's Rot & Ruin. I just finished it and it was terrific. I would also add Maberry's Patient Zero, the first of his Joe Ledger novels. I'm also a huge fan of his Pine Deep trilogy, but they're not traditional zombie books, although zombies are included in the plot mix.

Super Moderator

United States
    Not a big fan of what little I've read of Maberry's writing. I finished Patient Zero on the strength of how poorly written and cliched it was just to see if ended that badly. That said, the premise was okay, but the characterization was just horribly flat and one note.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany