Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tolerable/Intolerable children's shows

United States

Tolerable/Intolerable children's shows

Being a parent, sometimes you must give up the t.v. to your child/children. Doing so you end up watching some of their shows. Somewhere from the beginning of my nephew's t.v. take over when I was still living with my parents(years ago) and my own son now taking over my own t.v., I have developed a personal list of what cartoons I don't mind and ones I can't stand to watch.

I refuse...and I mean absolutely refuse to watch another split second of Hip Hop Harry on my 50" Plasma. Will someone please do a drive-by or something on this gangsta teddy bear.

Max and Ruby is another I can not stand.

"Max, this is our house payment. You must take it to the bank otherwise we're going to lose our house." On his way to the bank, Max spots a ice cream shack and blows all their money on ice cream. The bank kicks the family of rabbits to the curb and tells them tough luck. Ruby asks Max what happened to the money and all Max does is smile and yell ICE CREAM over and over again.

My kid will watch old Popeye cartoons on Boomarang though. I'm trying to get him into Dragon Ball Z but not sure if that's really a smart move because everytime I take a nap or close my eyes on the couch, I end up getting smacked in the head with a super hard toy.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 20-Sep-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Just moved this into Media Discussion.

Speaking of kids shows, there was one on when I was at uni called "The Shiny Show" or something like that, and it was these three puppet characters obsessed with shiny objects ... kind of hard to explain, but it cracked me up and was what I'd watch while eating cereal just before heading off for a 9am seminar or lecture.

United States
    I don't mind watching "The Upside Down show". Just because it's so damn creative and some of the things they do are pretty funny. It's just annoying that they don't have very many episodes and the rerun the crap out of the ones they have.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I consider myself lucky so far. My little daughter LOVES Spongebob, so quite often we'll watch that and I enjoy the hell out of it. She also sometimes watches my older cartoons like Ren & Stimpy, Looney Tunes, and Real Ghostbusters. So most of the time it works out in my favor. Same with the old Disney movies. I'm telling you, there's something about the way those things are drawn that makes them strangely hypnotic. I put on Peter Pan or Snow White and she won't move for the entire duration...

BUT....then are the other times. As you mentioned, I can't stand Max & Ruby. My wife once brought a funny point - Where the fuck are Max & Ruby's parents?!?

Another one I hate is Dora the Explorer(do they think that rhymes?). I'm not racist in the least. I'm all for the melding of cultures and whatnot, but what I do not agree with is trying to teach kids several languages at once. Yeah, I know they learn easier during these early years, but when you're switching back and forth between two languages it just confuses them! That's my opinion, anyway. Same with Ni Hao, Kai Lan.

She's also really into Yo Gabba Gabba. I really don't have much of a problem with this show as it gets her excited and moving around, but something about the host just doesn't sit right with me. I don't know what - I can't explain it. I just look at the guy and instantly think Pedophile. I dunno...
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Sep-2010 at 07:07 PM.

United States
    I've always been a HUGE fan of Fred Rogers. No one, as far as I'm concerned, will ever compete with Mr. Rogers as far as children show personalities go. The man never had to pretend to be 'something' different other than getting himself into a sweater and walking shoes. That was enough of a transformation to reach out to kids (including me when I was little when I used to watch Fred Rogers followed up by Mr. "Happy Little Trees" Bob Ross. Bob Ross was another amazing children's personality/host). I have a tremendous amount of respect for Fred Rogers as he did some amazing stuff in his life and really touched peoples lives. I swear, as much as I don't want to admit this, I often find myself flipping channels and come across his show and just sit back and watch. Fred taught us that it was "okay to be you" and that really means something -- even now in today's time and age when we've all become so much older and jaded (and even if other people here make fun of me for stating it).

Another shocking confession to the folks here of HPotD, when I'm not here or working I often write poetry as a form of expression. I love literature and writing. Here is a poem I actually wrote in dedication to Mr. Rogers a few years back:

Ode to Mr. Rogers

1 May 2009

Grown adults dressing in yellow bird costumes,
    Frightening purple dinosaurs,
    And Jim Henson creations dancing with laughter,
    With their puppeteers allowing.

But you never gave into all the hype,
    Never considered reaching out to all us children as becoming “other”.
    Your change was subtle, transferring to the sweater and the walking shoes,
    Leaving the stuffy tie and jacket in the closet.

Mr. Rogers, you bid us to be your neighbor,
    You offered your friendship to us,
    Teaching us about the newspaper press down the road,
    Letting us in on those conversations with Mr. McFeely,
    Taking us on fascinating explorations across town,
    And allowing us a visit to the Land of Make Believe,
    As faithful subjects to King Friday XIII.

You reached out to us, not as a caricature,
    But with a warm heart and a helping hand,
    Raising us to be good neighbors to our loved ones,
    To make a difference, to see the world a little brighter,
    And I still cannot picture a trolley today without seeing your smile.

When everyone seems to have grown so cynical and jaded in our society,
    When there is so much fear, confusion, difficulty, pain,
    I think we can all take something from remembering your peaceful nature,
    Your joyful expression that life is about kindness, compassion, love,
    And that we can all try to stand closer together as neighbors,
    As loved ones.

Thank you, Fred, for your charming singing voice,
    Telling us that if we are ever alone or afraid, to just think of those we love,
    And how those loved ones love us in turn.
    Ode to you Mr. Rogers,
    how we wish that you were still here to help guide us onward.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 20-Sep-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Lonney tunes.

Hannah Barbara.

Nuff said.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Tolerable? Well, imo:

Spongebob (Seasons 1-3 and The Movie)
    Batman: The Animated Series
    Superman: The Animated Series
    The New Batman Adventures
    Static Shock
    Batman Beyond
    Justice League
    Justice League Unlimited
    Loony Tunes
    Thundercats
    Courage the Cowardly Dog
    Johnny Bravo
    Power Puff Girls (Shut Up! It's decent kids show )
    Dexter's Labatory
    Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
    Phineas and Ferb (The ONLY good cartoon on Disney)
    Chowder
    The Real Ghostbusters (Seasons 1 and 2)
    Ed, Edd, n Eddy
    Codename Kids Next Door (despite, it's concept of rebelling against adults I think it's a good show)
    Fairly Oddparents
    Jimmy Neutron

Also if anime counts, I want to suggest Cowboy Bebop. Best anime evar! 26 episodes only, but worth a watch imo.

United States
    Cowboy Bebop was pretty good.

I finally got to finish Full Metal Alchemist the other day. I just got have to find a verson of the movie not in Japanese.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 20-Sep-2010 at 11:47 PM.

United States
    Live Action
    Captain Kangaroo
    Mister Rogers Neighborhood
    Land of the Lost
    Ark II

Cartoons
    Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
    Thundarr the Barbarian
    Flash Gordon
    Underdog

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    My daughter used to love Dora, but I used it as nap time so that worked out. We both watched Spongebob and Avatar.

I wish Yo Gabba Gabba had been on when she was little!! That show looks awesome for a former pothead!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    That show looks awesome for a former pothead!!!
    whaddya mean, former? i got the impression you still blazed...speaking of which, i'm currently cutting back myself. the herb has kinda helped me with some stress/ptsd-type symptoms i've had (especially during my first couple of years back from sand-land), but these days, i'm slowing down on my usage quite a bit.

and on topic, my nephew LOVES sesame street, so about 1/2 the time i see him, we get to wach "sess" as he calls it.

my niece is a big spongebob and dora fan, those are both okay.

i think it's kinda sad, though, how kids get exposed to soooo much television and you can almost see the addiction to sitting before the tube starting before they're even 3 or 4 years old. i once dated a girl who grew up without cable and she was incredibly smart and clever. wonder if there's a correlation there. not knocking on parents who let their kids watch tv, i just think that when i get around to having kids i'm gonna try to keep that shit to a minimum.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i think it's kinda sad, though, how kids get exposed to soooo much television and you can almost see the addiction to sitting before the tube starting before they're even 3 or 4 years old. i once dated a girl who grew up without cable and she was incredibly smart and clever. wonder if there's a correlation there. not knocking on parents who let their kids watch tv, i just think that when i get around to having kids i'm gonna try to keep that shit to a minimum.
    That's how we handle it. She's only allowed so much TV during the day, after which we turn it off. Which sucks because that means I get less time to watch MY shows.

The good thing about some of these shows is that they also help teach....

United States
    yeah, the ones that have some educational value are better than the ones like the "max & ruby" (haven't heard/seen anything about that, but from what i read on this thread, i get the idea) that have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

that's good you guys limit that stuff for her. i've got a friend who's married and every time i go to hang, he's kids sitting in front of the tube, mouth agape, totally zoned out. makes me sad and kinda makes me wanna slap the little fella's parents around a bit and let them know they're doing a lack-luster job at raising their kid...it's not the tv's job to babysit (hypnotize), they as parents need to be more involved.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    BUT....then are the other times. As you mentioned, I can't stand Max & Ruby. My wife once brought a funny point - Where the fuck are Max & Ruby's parents?!?
    My wife & I wondered the same thing

Another one I hate is Dora the Explorer(do they think that rhymes?).
    Brian Regan has a funny bit about that..."Where does that rhyme? Maybe in the Kennedy compound...'Put on Dorrah the Explorah!!!' " The bit about the Map song is funny too.

http://comedians.jokes.com/brian-reg...a-the-explorer

My youngest loves Dora. I'm meh on it, but eh, whatever.

She's also really into Yo Gabba Gabba. I really don't have much of a problem with this show as it gets her excited and moving around, but something about the host just doesn't sit right with me. I don't know what - I can't explain it. I just look at the guy and instantly think Pedophile. I dunno...
    Gah...I HATE Yo Gabba Gabba. I know it's for really little kids, but it just seems so insultingly dumb. And you're right, that DJ Lance IS a right creepy fuck. That "Fresh Beats" can fuck right off too. For musical type shows I like to let the little one watch "Imagination Movers" on Disney. At least the music is decent & isn't as nerve gratingly insulting as the other aforementioned shows.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 21-Sep-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Holy shit that's funny. I think i had seen that before. Good stuff.

I know some people don't like Kevin Smith, but his stand up about Dora is pretty funny too.

Last edited by bassman; 21-Sep-2010 at 01:48 PM.