Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Hobbit" (film)

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not at all... What we seem to see here is the kind of reaction I can't fathom.

If we consider the LOTR trilogy, there's no denying they were incredibly well made and original films. The outcome of that film making may not have been to some people's liking, but to then dismiss them as "boring drivel" for example, just seems unfair in the extreme!

Next, "Avatar". Yes, the story was simplistic in some ways, but again, it was fairly solid and original piece of film making in many ways. So to dismiss it as, "AVATRASH" (in capitals) just comes across as juvenile and unfair really.

In short, I have no problem with someone not enjoying any of the films being discussed. It's when it goes beyond that and we simply enter the realms of irrational, polarised opinions I find I start questioning the logic behind the thought process?

"Boring drivel" equates to 1/10 to me? "AVATRASH" (in capitals) similarly equate to something in the same area... Really? That bad? Really? Or are we seeing knee-jerk opinions without any rationale in there?
    I'm sorry but 9 hours of film with people doing nothing but walking... and I am not jumping on the clerks band wagon here I am stating what is painfully obvious from the trailers and feedback, not too mention finally sitting down and watching them after hearing all this hype of how great they are has led me to form the opinion that they are boring drivel.

Avatar aka AVATRASH Other than some ground breaking technology in filmmaking there is nothing in that film that is worth the praise it receives, in fact it was so bland even the Academy awarded his ex-wife with Best Picture because The Hurt Lock is great filmmaking on a budget Cameron probably had for craft services.

CG, and 8ft tall smurfs do not make a good movie. Aliens, that was a great movie. Avatar, it was just eye candy using a recycled story ripped from a Disney flick. Sorry but JC doesn't get brownie points for Avatar just because he spent $360,000,000 making it... especially when his ex spent $11,000,000 making a much better film and shooting on extremely outdated technology (16mm)

I refuse to ride the wave or wagon of praise for a flick simply because it looked good in IMAX.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I'm sorry but 9 hours of film with people doing nothing but walking...
    Did you expect me to read past that rotten hyperbole, DJ?

"I found it rather boring" and then listing the reasons why it was not to your taste would have worked better
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 27-Sep-2010 at 04:41 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Did you expect me to read past that rotten hyperbole, DJ?

"I found it rather boring" and then listing the reasons why it was not to your taste would have worked better
    Should have kept reading...
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Even the trees walked!"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "Even the trees walked!"

That was a funny fucking line.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I have to agree with Dj on all points relating to LOTR & Avatar. Can't stand any of 'em.

Although, since it's just based on one persons opinion (mine) there's no reason to go into why, because what's the point in discussing opinions, right?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I have to agree with Dj on all points relating to LOTR & Avatar. Can't stand any of 'em.

Although, since it's just based on one persons opinion (mine) there's no reason to go into why, because what's the point in discussing opinions, right?

I guess opinions aren't welcome anymore.

I will make you all a deal... You guys respect my opinion that I think LOTR, Survival, Land, and Avatar are total garbage and I will respect your opinions that you guys think most of the films listed are decent.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Funnily enough, I just watched the Hurt Locker at a friends' house the other night, and was surprised at how fuckin' good it was.
    With that said, I... liked the LOTR tril. by New Zealand. Sure there was walking, but there was also a ghost army at the end killing giant elephants. I don't think any other film can boast that. Also Boromir arrow scene was just raw.
    Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the Hobbit film, since I grew up with that story, and we'll see how it goes.
    Oh yeah, and I haven't seen Avatar, but if anyone breaks into my house and forces me to watch it under pain of death, I certainly won't argue.

Super Moderator

United States
    I guess opinions aren't welcome anymore.

I will make you all a deal... You guys respect my opinion that I think LOTR, Survival, Land, and Avatar are total garbage and I will respect your opinions that you guys think most of the films listed are decent.
    That's fine, I just can't stand the old must hate anything popular/mainstream line of thinking. It's just bandwagoning of a different sort, to me.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    That's fine, I just can't stand the old must hate anything popular/mainstream line of thinking. It's just bandwagoning of a different sort, to me.
    Whats worse is if you genuinely don't like something that's currently the big craze.....you're accused of bandwagoning.

It's a lose/lose situation, i'm afraid.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I think you can win by declaring yourself a fan of something retro, completely unrelated, and somewhat obscure... like, say, Gigantor.

Administrator

England
    I understand what you're getting at but at the same time HOW a film is made shouldn't really effect how one enjoys the final product. I can appreciate that it was a HUGE task for Jackson & Co, but if the final product puts me to sleep....well....it's boring. Regardless of the sleepless nights the filmmakers poured into it.

Then on the other hand, as you pointed out, I wouldn't call it "drivel" or the worst film series ever. I would much rather watch the LOTR trilogy than some other things, but every time I do....I end up checking my watch hoping for it to end. I think I would probably have enjoyed it more if they weren't quite as long. And I'm talking about the theatrical cuts! No way I will watch the extended cuts...

Fine! You don't get on with it... And putting it in context you'd give it a 4/10 or maybe 6/10 for effort?

Meanwhile some of the comments on this thread suggest it's right down there with an Asylum production or something!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States

Meanwhile some of the comments on this thread suggest it's right down there with an Asylum production or something!
    Lord of the Walking Midgets?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Fine! You don't get on with it... And putting it in context you'd give it a 4/10 or maybe 6/10 for effort?

Megashark versus Giant Octopus was more entertaining then any of the LOTR films
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Whats worse is if you genuinely don't like something that's currently the big craze.....you're accused of bandwagoning.

It's a lose/lose situation, i'm afraid.
    This.

Megashark versus Giant Octopus was more entertaining then any of the LOTR films
    I dunno about that, but Sharktopus was certainly more entertaining.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 27-Sep-2010 at 06:36 PM.