Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moviegoers Getting the Bite from Bed Bugs?

Super Moderator

United States

Moviegoers Getting the Bite from Bed Bugs?

Not sure how many people are aware, or whether other cities are having similar issues, but NYC has been dealing with a bed bug 'epidemic' over the last year or so, with several infestations in not only homes, but now retail outlets and office buildings, as well. Not a big deal, right? Just keep your home clean and all is well. The only problem is bed bugs apparently love movie theater seating and have invaded and shutdown several local movie theaters forcing fumigation. The other issues is that people are getting bitten and possibly in some cases carrying these pests home to breed.

The messed up thing is that the incidents of bed bugs in theaters is apparently spreading out from the city into some boroughs and outlying cityburbs!

Ewwwww!!!

I actually enjoy going to the movies, but I think this may be the nail in the coffin for my movie-going, or at least a cause for suspension of all movie-going activities for the time being.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 27-Sep-2010 at 03:01 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i've always been super ocd and paranoid about movie seats,particularly the head rests, i'm always thinking about headlice when i sit on them -something i have had the good fortune to never have infested upon my person, but the worst i had was going in wearing a black shirt, not a t shirt but an actual shirt and its back and sleeves were covered in this orange dust that turned out to be rat poison!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Heard about this on the news. Gross stuff. I hardly ever get to make it to the theater these days, so i'm not too worried.

As Hellsing says - its the headrests that always freak me out. I always wear a hat and try to position it so that my hair isn't directly touching the head rest. Probably won't help a thing, but it makes me feel better about it....

Another thing about theater seats are the oils and greases people leave behind. I guess some people just don't bathe, because sometimes you can touch the armrest and your arm just slides off. Disgusting.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Sep-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Another thing about theater seats are the oils and greases people leave behind. I guess some people just don't bathe, because sometimes you can touch the armrest and your arm just slides off. Disgusting.
    I would assume that's butter/fatty oil seepage from a bag or food container placed on the rest, no? At least that's what I'd convince myself it was

And Hellsing, that is well beyond the pale of anything I've encountered at a theater! Hope you piped up about it. I mean...*shudder* It's just the sort of thing I'll be thinking about for a while.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 27-Sep-2010 at 03:43 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States

The only thing I can say to all this is

"Ew. Squick."
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Exactly why I try to avoid theaters as much as possible. Grimy conditions, horribly tasting/overpriced food, and... other people. *shudders*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not all theaters are that bad, though. We've got a couple CLASSY theaters around Atlanta. Even some of the bigger chains are kept squeeky clean. You've just to look around and weed out the seedy places.

When I can make it to the theater, I try to make it to a locally owned joint. Great people that won't ruin your experience. Going to see Ghostbusters and Night90 in a few weeks! Woot!
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Sep-2010 at 05:12 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Exactly why I try to avoid theaters as much as possible. Grimy conditions, horribly tasting/overpriced food, and... other people. *shudders*
    I'm with blind2d on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Not all theaters are that bad, though. We've got a couple CLASSY theaters around Atlanta. Even some of the bigger chains are kept squeeky clean. You've just to look around and weed out the seedy places.
    The only drawback is the fact that there's still other people there. They are usually what ruins the experience for me, and part of the reason I hardly go to the movies anymore.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I'm with blind2d on this one.

The only drawback is the fact that there's still other people there. They are usually what ruins the experience for me, and part of the reason I hardly go to the movies anymore.
    I only go when it is something I really want to see...

2007 - No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Die Hard 4, Transformers, Spidey 3 (freebie)... Halloween(although I want my money back for that one)
    2008 - TDK (which was a free showing) only theatrical film I watched in theaters in all of 2008.
    2009 - Crazy Heart, Zombieland, Avatar (freebie)
    2010 - Machete, Expendables, Inception, Karate Kid 2010, The Book of Eli

That has pretty much been my movie going experience for the last 4 years. I don't mind crowds, but I have been enjoying my home theater experience so much that why waste the cash. I also have been busy with the film and some other projects, but now I just sleep a majority of my weekends away.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I only go when it is something I really want to see...

2007 - No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Die Hard 4, Transformers, Spidey 3 (freebie)... Halloween(although I want my money back for that one)
    Damn, you survived seeing all those? I'd have shot myself halfway through.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well, now I'm definitely not going to a movie theater any time soon... unless it's something REALLY great. The last three times I was in a theater was my birthday for Halloween 08/31/2007, opening weekend for Diarrhea Of The Dead which was... February of 2008? And finally in August of 2008 for the monstrosity known as "Mirrors" (hey, it was the first date for me and my old lady). Been a pretty long time now and it's really no sweat off my back.

As has been stated by some of you, people are really the main reason I don't go to the theater. 90% of the time I've seen a movie, at least one dickhead in the audience has fucked it up for me.

United States
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 28-Sep-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Looks like a probable spread pattern fr a zombie plague (except scarier)
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 28-Sep-2010 at 02:10 PM.

England
    I generally hate the movies anyways...mixing with the proles is always a negative experience.

Seriously though, reading stuff like this makes me thankfull that I don't go to the flix anymore.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A) Go during matinees. Far less people and they usually aren't the kind to yell shit out or use their phone.
    B) Go to a local independent theater. In my experiences, the only people that go to these theaters are fans of cinema. The kind that won't effect your experience at all. They respect the experience as much as you do.
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Sep-2010 at 03:31 PM.