Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Minecraft (video game)

Administrator

England

Minecraft (video game)

Seems to be getting a lot of attention at the moment... Not tried it myself...

Make sure you watch the last one

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I have played more minecraft than wow or starcraft combined this month. shit is addictive as hell.

also:

Administrator

England
    ^^ So what do you really do?

Are you playing alone or with other people?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Canada
    You don't really do anything but mine and build shit. You can play online with others on servers, or you can play by yourself, in your own persistent world. It will eat up a lot of your time, and I think that the game really caters to the OCD among us that can't stand to leave a project unfinished. Seriously, look at some of the stuff people have made in this game, it just boggles the mind.

Personally, it isn't for me. I find it incredibly dull, and I can't keep focused on it. It isn't for everyone, to say the least.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    day 1 i started on a beach looking at this giant mountain, which would be mine to claim. so i started at the foot digging in with my hands all day, building a little wall around me.

The sun whent down and thats when the zombies came.

its fun as shit. every night zombies, giant spiders, creepers and skeletons assault you. destroying your base is they can. so i used all the dirt i destroyed to start my mine shaft that i started building my base around and made a tower for a night. then i play the waiting game.

Administrator

England
    You've got to wonder, with this seemingly getting a lot of attention, if a more professional version is on the way to earn some more $$$?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You've got to wonder, with this seemingly getting a lot of attention, if a more professional version is on the way to earn some more $$$?
    Nope, valve and activision have both tried to buy the game but notch aint selling.

Super Moderator

United States
    I have an IRL game called "The Laundry" if anyone cares to take a crack at it.

Though, to be fair, this is the sort of thing I'd like to see implemented to a wider degree and extent in other games, as part of a mini-game, if you like.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Canada
    The man has already made more money from this game then anyone on this forum is ever going to make in their life. He has no reason to sell it, as he is already swimming in more money then he knows what to do with.

It is both sad and delightful that a man can make so much money off of such a simple game.

Administrator

England
    Still yet to try this...

But here's an interesting interview with the programmer...

http://www.develop-online.net/featur...-Minecraft-man
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    So im making a forest with houses in the trees.

and have a documentary about notch for afters.

Super Moderator

United States

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    So im making a forest with houses in the trees.
    Meh. Water looks pretty janky

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I have played more minecraft than wow or starcraft combined this month. shit is addictive as hell.

also:

Zombie at the end?

Also, The game looks boring as shit but watching Neil's first video and I'm sorta sucked in....The whole crafting thing is awesome. For being so simple, it's really quite brillant.

Dude has made like $40 million off this game. I can't bring myself to pay 27 dollars for it though. I was going to look into it but the price discouraged me.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 02-Mar-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: ...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    27 dollars? thats a shit exchange rate, the 14 euros was just 9 quid for me and its totally worth it. For some its a survival horror, for others a lego game, for some a hilarious greifing engine.

plus is that price so bad when everyone on here has at least a few times paid £40 for a game that turns out to be a 3 hour shit fest?

And theres zombies in the game but that was a creeper. you learn to fear them quite quickly.

basically:

Start in the day
    >punch a tree into wood blocks.
    >use them to make plank blocks.
    ----build wooden house
    or build wooden pickaxe and spades.
    >make crafting table.
    >clear dirt which can be used to build up a mine entrance.
    >reach rock.
    >use pick to break it down.
    >build furnace
    >use the created cobblestone to build a stronger fortress around you or make stone pickaxes to mine faster- eventually mining better materials like iron and coal.

Start of the night
    >creatures spawn, skeletons with bows, shambling zombies, giant spiders, ghasts and the dreaded creeper.
    >make wooden or stone swords.
    --------fight till dawn.
    stay inside a hastily built defence.
    >if you reach coal make torches to repel monsters and attract animals.
    >be wary that any time of the day you can run into zombies skeletons and creepers in mines and natural caves.

Thats the very basics, you go from there in any direction you want. build a castle in a lake of lava at the earths core, make a replica of the entire world of zelda 2, anything you want. Or just go into zombie survival mode. the basic art style is deceptively simple compared to a very deep game system that gets deeper with each patch of added content.
    Last edited by Danny; 02-Mar-2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: fghjg

United States
    27 dollars? thats a shit exchange rate, the 14 euros was just 9 quid for me and its totally worth it. For some its a survival horror, for others a lego game, for some a hilarious greifing engine.

plus is that price so bad when everyone on here has at least a few times paid £40 for a game that turns out to be a 3 hour shit fest?

And theres zombies in the game but that was a creeper. you learn to fear them quite quickly.

basically:

Start in the day
    >punch a tree into wood blocks.
    >use them to make plank blocks.
    ----build wooden house
    or build wooden pickaxe and spades.
    >make crafting table.
    >clear dirt which can be used to build up a mine entrance.
    >reach rock.
    >use pick to break it down.
    >build furnace
    >use the created cobblestone to build a stronger fortress around you or make stone pickaxes to mine faster- eventually mining better materials like iron and coal.

Start of the night
    >creatures spawn, skeletons with bows, shambling zombies, giant spiders, ghasts and the dreaded creeper.
    >make wooden or stone swords.
    --------fight till dawn.
    stay inside a hastily built defence.
    >if you reach coal make torches to repel monsters and attract animals.
    >be wary that any time of the day you can run into zombies skeletons and creepers in mines and natural caves.

Thats the very basics, you go from there in any direction you want. build a castle in a lake of lava at the earths core, make a replica of the entire world of zelda 2, anything you want. Or just go into zombie survival mode. the basic art style is deceptively simple compared to a very deep game system that gets deeper with each patch of added content.
    The Website says 20 Euros