Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Expendables 2 (film) - Even more expendable!

Super Moderator

United States
    I agree with Bass that the last Die Hard was actually a decent flick, but I was definitely rankled they scaled it back, especially with the classic line.

I'd rather see Expendables 2 go full-on balls to the walls and leave it up to the horrible parents to bring their kids to the film, so I can continue to look down on them and their questionable parenting skills.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    WHAT?! PG-13?! If that's true then what the hell?! Pussifying Die Hard 4 was a mistake, but doing the same to The Expendables? Oh come the fudge on...

/justified nerd-rage
    ^ This
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    So now we are going to get an 80s style action film starring 60 year olds, with minimal bloodshed and no cursing? Do these oldies really think youngsters are anxious to see them on the big screen?
    This is getting silly? Part of the succes of the first one was the nostalgia for the crowd old enough to actually remember this bunch of 'actors. Now they are going to get a watered down fun for all the family action fest with like really big explosions and stuff? Count me out. Still can't get over what the PG13 rating did to Die Hard.
    I enjoyed the first one as a cheesy throwback. Laughed my way through it. Not excited for this one.
    Last edited by krisvds; 19-Jan-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Bruce Lee kicked Chuck Norris's ass!

United States
    Yeah, I don't mind if the language is cut down, but this cowboy needs unwatered down blood. I likes mine nice and thick.
    My wife just read that and said, "That's what she said."
    Le sigh...

Administrator

England
    Sly talks about PG13:-

the film is fantastic with Van Damme turning in an inspired performance... Our final battle is one for the ages. The PG13 rumor is true, but before your readers pass judgement, trust me when I say this film is LARGE in every way and delivers on every level. This movie touches on many emotions which we want to share with the broadest audience possible, BUT, fear not, this Barbeque of Grand scale Ass Bashing will not leave anyone hungry...Sly
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52774
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    If anything it's more offensive - you're peddling brutal beatings and gunplay to an even younger audience - it kind of messed up. But considering that the first one made a shedload of money Rated R, then this just smacks the audience in the face.

What's more, for us UK viewers, it'll no doubt still be rated 15, but because it'll be from the US PG-13, it'll be soft-as-shite - meanwhile the Rated R original was also a 15 in the UK (one trim of 2 seconds meant it wasn't an 18 until the Blu-Ray) and that had loads of violence.

With all these movies getting released in 2D and 3D, they should release a proper grown up's version and then the stupid, creepy kidified version as well (Bruno was released in both 15 and 18 rated forms in the UK) so people can choose ... at the very least I really hope they shot the proper violence and lingo at the same time, and won't just shoe-horn it in (like they did with Die Hard 4 - it improves things, but it's also so obviously half-assed-in after-the-fact ), so we can at least get the proper film on home video.

I was really looking forward to this - but now it's going to be pussified (there's no other word for it, you're deliberately softening the movie for a lower rating) my interest has taken a real hit. The Americans really need to sort their rating system out and have something more akin to what we've got in the UK - U/PG/12/15/18 - there's been plenty of 15 rated movies that have lots of balls to them ... just thinking about it, it seems kind of strange to me that Shaun of the Dead (a 15 in the UK) then became an R (17+) in the USA ... it's just daft.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Nicccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccce.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Excellent.

Administrator

England
    Well, talk is now of it being "R" rated? Strange!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, talk is now of it being "R" rated? Strange!
    I would bloody well hope so! Rating it PG-13 was the dumbest idea I've heard since rating Die Hard 4 PG-13.

I dearly hope Ex2 will indeed be an R-Rated flick now. Perhaps Stallone & Co changed their tune when they saw the fan outrage ... or maybe they're preparing two versions? I just want hardcore Ex2, R-Rated all-the-way!

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    A few comments - http://latino-review.com/2012/04/25/...cription-only/

The trailer started off with team in the jungle surrounded by ruthless soldiers, and Barny Ross (played by Sylvester Stallone) kills the soldiers using his finger as a pistol. Actually, the new recruit The Kid (played by Liam Hemsworth) was the sniper that killed the soldiers.

It gave the audience a good glimpse of the old team of Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, and Randy Couture with the new team members of Hemsworth and Nan Yu. But, it also focused on Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis in action for the sequel.

Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme were seen in the movie.

The most noticeable things in the trailer were with Schwarzenegger and Willis driving in a tiny European smart car and a fist/kung fu fight between Stallone and Van Damme.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Arnie and Willis in a Smart Car? hahaha!

Totally up for this flick again after hearing it will be R-Rated (the prospect of a PG-13 sequel was just ... ugh...)

Administrator

England
    If it's like the first, but a bit better, I'll be uber happy!
    -Carl Sagan