Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HPotD interviews Gale Anne Hurd...

Administrator

England

HPotD interviews Gale Anne Hurd...

Another Lee Karr special!

Click here!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States

Thumbs up

Dude!

You were right when you said Lee delivered once again, Neil!

I'll read this when I get home this evening, but I had to take a quick look at it. Very cool.

Thanks to you for sharing it with us, Neil and thanks--of course--to Lee for yet another trove of info straight from the source. Now I want to know if anything was said about previous projects. I know Gale Anne Hurd has worked on some classics! Regardless, just hearing her take on TWD will be juicy enough for me.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good stuff.

Entirely up to George, huh? I guess that's not gonna happen.

And that may be for the best...
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Oct-2010 at 07:48 PM.

United States
    very good interview, lee. i really enjoyed reading that and learning that the severe enthusiasm for this project isn't just on our part.

also really like this bit:

Can you talk about any influence that Romero's films might have had on the show?

We consider Night of the Living Dead to be the classic zombie film. It's the Holy Grail. In that respect, the zombies weren't funny - they were a real threat. At the same time they didn't have super human speed. They weren't Usain Bolt, who can run 100 meters in 9 seconds. They are dead by the way! So we thought it was important to take it very seriously and think about if you were dead you wouldn't be moving quickly - you had some serious bite mark, your internal organs were effected - you've been chomped on a bit. You probably wouldn't be getting around like a world class sprinter.

We talked about the zombie in the cemetery. You know, he can get up to a jog, but he's not going to win the track meet.
    good to read that. i don't mind a zombie taking into a light trot or moving quickly after prey, but the track-star shit is beyond ridiculous in my book.

also glad to see that they don't view the zombies are gags or jokes (take a note, mr. romero) and are keeping them lethal and menacing, not shoving fire extinguishers in their mouths and popping their eyeballs out/splitting them down the middle wit a broadsword and shitty CGI/making them look like pez-dispensers/etc.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 05-Oct-2010 at 07:53 PM.

England
    Superb interview Lee. Well done mate. Miss Hurd sounds like she's buzzing as much as the rest of them. I like the way the interview was kept with a Romero slant to it.
    Why the hell is she wearing a gooners shirt?

I've gotta stop watching those videos as well. Almost got the whole pilot running around in my head.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Thank you again to Neil for posting this for me. You are the best, Neil.

Thanks to everyone so far who enjoyed the read. I appreciate the kind words!

AcesandEights wondered if I discussed any of Gale's previous work? Unfortunately I only had 30 minutes max to interview her and I had a lot of things I wanted to touch on about "The Walking Dead", so I didn't have time to ask her about Aliens or The Terminator films or James Cameron, etc... I would have loved to though!

Undisclosed
    Way to go, Lee! A+ job!

United Kingdom
    Nice interview, really enjoyed that. Shame about the Arsenal shirt, though.
    Kill 'em All

Super Moderator

UK
    Cool stuff!

Soooooooo looking forward to seeing this. Not long now, hopefully we UK folk get it ASAP after it airs in America.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Cool stuff!

Soooooooo looking forward to seeing this. Not long now, hopefully we UK folk get it ASAP after it airs in America.
    At least the UK showing isn't being cut like the US version!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    At least the UK showing isn't being cut like the US version!
    Eh?

And hopefully "early November" on FXUK means like November 1st or 2nd ... not the 7th or something ... I can't be waiting around a week or several days to see it whilst all the Americans on here spunk all over the place , and I'd really like to support the show officially, if you know what I mean.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Eh?

And hopefully "early November" on FXUK means like November 1st or 2nd ... not the 7th or something ... I can't be waiting around a week or several days to see it whilst all the Americans on here spunk all over the place , and I'd really like to support the show officially, if you know what I mean.
    It's November 5th for you guys.

And yes....eh Neil? Have they said the US version will be edited? If anything, I figured it would be edited overseas seeing how you guys allow sex and not violence. Here in the states it's the other way around, of course.

Administrator

England
    Eh?
    The US version is having nearly a minute of footage cut from it compared to the UK version. Guess some scenes are a bit too much!

So I'll happily wait for our version/showing
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The US version is having nearly a minute of footage cut from it compared to the UK version. Guess some scenes are a bit too much!
    Where did you hear this? In this interview, Hurd says they haven't had to edit anything....
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Oct-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Where did you hear this? In this interview, Hurd says they haven't had to edit anything....
    It was a little voice in my head... It told me to say it to try and stir you guys up Damn you for being so level headed!
    -Carl Sagan