Thread: Warning on fake Duane Jones Signed Color Photos

Undisclosed

Warning on Duane Jones Signed Color Photos

Friendly warning - In case you are collecting autographs from Night Of The Living Dead or George Romero related items (I know some of you do) - Duane Jones signed pieces rarely come up for sale.

In the past two months, two different 8x10 color photos (multi signed) have appeared in the market from two reputable dealers. Apparently these are surfacing since we are getting closer to Halloween. Each likely coming from the same collector who is selling them to dealers. Each supposedly with a Duane Jones signature on the photo.

These color photos were not released until the late 1990's which is after Duane Jones Death (in 1988). Also - the signature is actually that of ghoul Dave James and not Duane Jones.

The first dealer assured me "It was authenticated by two different UACC registered dealers. I can include dual COAS if you purchase it."

And the second dealer assured me "The signature was obtained first hand in-person from the
    collector that the piece was purchased from. The collector has a MASSIVE first hand in-person obtained horror movie autograph collection spanning signature he acquired dating back to the early 1980's. We certainly guarantee the piece to pass any authentication service. We are one of the most reputable companies in the world for the selling authentic autographs."

Both reputable dealers pulled the auction and/or corrected the listing when they were informed.
    After 30 years of collecting Night Of The living Dead material (Props including autographs), I have only come across one Duane Jones signed item and that's in my collection. So for two Duane Jones signatures to show up in two months on color photos for under $300 should set of alarms for any collector. Besides the simple fact the signature on these photos is actually Dave James.

Be wary of ANY COLLECTOR selling "Duane Jones" Multi signed Color photo(s).
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 08-Oct-2010 at 10:05 PM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I got this one in the post today, only £100 too! Can you check if it's real?

Last edited by krakenslayer; 08-Oct-2010 at 11:25 PM.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I got this one in the post today, only £100 too! Can you check if it's real?
    Looks geniune enough, infact if I'm not mistaken didn't he turn down the role of Marty McFly to sign this card? If it is then you've got yourself a real bargain there - it's worth a small fortune...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ....you paid over 300 bucks for a picture with some ink on it?
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Oct-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ....you paid over 300 bucks for a picture with some ink on it?
    lol No way - Had it been a real Duane Jones signature - expect at least $1500-$2500+ for the single signature alone. On a real multi signature piece (much more).

My original post is simply a warning for collectors who may be looking or come across one of these color photos that is claimed to be signed by Duane Jones. I just asked the sellers questions on the items since I knew right away they were Dave James signed and not Duane Jones. The sellers acknowledged the mistake and corrected it but makes me wonder how these are being presented to the dealers/other collectors in the first place.
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 09-Oct-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: sp

United States
    Dude, are these things signed "Dave James" but being represented as signed by "Duane Jones" when the signatures they bear obviously say "Dave James", or are they attempts to forge the "Duane Jones" signature by Dave James who wrote "Duane Jones" for some strange reason, possibly nefariously, instead of his own name? Or is it that the signature of Dave James can be mistaken on an honest level as looking like Duane Jones and is being presented by the sellers as such out of ignorance?

I know it sounds like I'm being a smart ass, so please forgive me, but I am curious.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 10-Oct-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Sounds to me like the signature is "D(squiggle) J(squiggle)" and the reseller had no reason to believe it wasn't Duane Jones, although they didn't bother to check if it looked anything like any other Duane Jones autographs. Where the deception lies is in the claim that the seller had it signed first hand by Jones. Obviously someone, either seller or reseller, is lying.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Dude, are these things signed "Dave James" but being represented as signed by "Duane Jones" when the signatures they bear obviously say "Dave James", or are they attempts to forge the "Duane Jones" signature by Dave James who wrote "Duane Jones" for some strange reason, possibly nefariously, instead of his own name? Or is it that the signature of Dave James can be mistaken on an honest level as looking like Duane Jones and is being presented by the sellers as such out of ignorance?

I know it sounds like I'm being a smart ass, so please forgive me, but I am curious.

Not an attempt to forge the Duane Jones signature. The color multi signed photos are definitely signed by "Dave James." Dave has somewhat of a sloppy signature where only the D and the J are readable. All the signatures on the photos I saw were authentic (problem lies in that the Duane Jones signature as advertised was misidentified). The photos were being sold as being signed by Duane Jones until I notified them that the signature was that of "Dave James"

A Duane Jones signature (very neatly written) can't be mistaken for Dave James. Very different if you are educated on his signature. Someone not knowing could easily think a Dave James signature (where you really can only read the D and the J) was Duane Jones which is why I posted this to begin with. I believe the two reputable dealers over the last two months selling these just misidentified them but are likely getting them from the same source. And as we head towards Halloween we may see more of these surface.

Hopefully the source won't keep selling these to dealers or to collectors and not clearly informing them in advance that it isn't a Duane Jones but a Dave James signature on the color photos. My best guess is they are just selling batches of signed photos without details and letting the buyer(s)/dealer(s) figure out who actually signed the photos.

Just wanted to let any collectors know that if you come across any "Duane Jones" advertised signed color photos be sure to check the signature as it will likely be that of ghoul Dave James.
    Duane Jones signed pieces just don't turn up that often...

Example of a Dave James signature that is on the color photos.
    To put it simply, if you see the signature below then you know it's Dave James and not Duane Jones.
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 10-Oct-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: sp

United States
    Good looking out. Thanks for the reply and the information Brother C5!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I am new to this site and i only came across it because i have a signed 3x5 index card signed by Duane Jones.
    I would be looking to sell it for 2000.00 and I would be happy to post pics of it for anyone to see and confirm it.
    if anyone has an interest you can email me for pics.
    Thanks
    Big Al

United States
    I have a signature of my signing a Pilot Travel Mart receipt from this last week. The receipt is in very good condition. I am willing to offer it up for a measly $25.99. Note: There is a small tear in the lower-left corner. I also have a framed receipt I signed for Kroger's as well from last week which is in mint condition I'm willing to offer up for a 12-pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon and a pack of Pall Mall's non-filtered - of course, cash alternatives are welcome as well.

Please PM me if interested, as these items are certain to go quickly!

(How anyone can pay $2,000 for a picture with someone's signature on it blows my mind, I would never do that to someone personally, my offer of a signed receipt or a pack of smokes and some beer is far more reasonable).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I'm a huge Duane Jones fan- can anyone repost photos of his actual autograph?
    Thanks!