Thread: Did the beginning of Day of the dead remind you of Dawn of the dead?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Did the beginning of Day of the dead remind you of Dawn of the dead?

Is it just me or that scene at the beginning of Day of the dead just reminds me a lot of Dawn of the Dead? That room where sarah is sitting looks a lot like the room at the shopping mall where Roger, Stephen and the others were staying. When I watched Day of the dead for the first time and saw the opening scene I thought that it was going to be a direct follow up of Day of the dead or something. Anyway maybe it's just me. Any opinions?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just a brick room. I can see how it would spark memories of Dawn, though.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Sarah's dream looks like one of the rooms in the mall and then you cut straight to some survivors buzzing around in a helicopter. A first time viewer could be forgiven for briefly wondering if Fran and Peter had been re-cast and then picked up a couple of hitchikers.

England
    I suppose they are similair in a way.

Both films start with a woman waking from a nightmare, into a real nightmare.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 09-Oct-2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I suppose they are similair in a way.

Both films start with a woman waking from a nightmare, into a real nightmare.
    That's a very good point. Also, didn't the original Dead Reckoning script open with a nightmare sequence? Something about a horrific sex dream involving Riley (who was originally black) and Kaufman's daughter? Am I making this up? I'm sure I read about this in a script review of the original version long before Land was made.

Has anyone here read the Dead Reckoning script who can confirm this? I know it's not available online, but I think there were photocopies doing the rounds at Horror Cons and the like.

EDIT: Found this. It seems the "horrific" part I simply made up, and the sexual aspect was just an implication...

...But yes, it seems that Dead Reckoning/Land of the Dead originally opened with a dream sequence too!

http://www.empiremovies.com/forums/p...&threadid=1434

Acting as 'suppliers', Riley and his men travel from town to town unloading unspoiled goods collected from abandoned stores. Fiddler's Green is a routine stop, but it holds much more importance to Riley. The one he loves, Denise Kaufman - a beautiful gal we become quite...familiar with in the film's opening dream sequence - lives here.
    Also of note, is the fact that Fiddler's Green was originally one of several small fortified settlements in the wasteland, and Dead Reckoning is built for supply and trading runs between them all. In this context, Cholo's ransom demands seem much more logical!
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 10-Oct-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: New info.