Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The search is still broken

United States

The search is still broken

There is an issue with the search function since the forum software upgrade.

Normally if you do a keyword search (example zombie hunters ) the results will contain both words.

Using quotes "zombie hunters" should return only those posts with the exact phrase.

However both search functions are broken. Instead each returns all posts containing the word zombie.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    yeah, a few of us have been going on about this, maybe we just need to pm andy or something.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    yeah, a few of us have been going on about this, maybe we just need to pm andy or something.
    See if you guys agree with me... The problem seems to be it's case sensitive?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Beleive it or not i was working on it when i managed to total the forums lol.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    See if you guys agree with me... The problem seems to be it's case sensitive?
    I did a couple of tests and case effects things, but I'm not sure how predictably. I did a search for Captain AMerica to see if I could get this thread to pop up and no dice. I tried searching using the general (ie. none advanced) search box near the top of the main forum page:

1) Captain America
    Result: 77 response, none the intended thread
    Adding Quotes around text (ie. "Captain America") produced same results

2) Captain America's
    Result: Same 11 responses, none the intended thread
    Adding Quotes around text (ie. "Captain America's") produced same results

3) captain america
    Result: 77 responses, none the intended thread

4) captain america's
    Result: 11 responses, none the intended thread

5) Full thread title: Captain America's movie costume design revealed
    Result: 351 responses, none the intended thread

6) Full threa title in quotes: ""Captain America's movie costume design revealed"
    Result: The following errors occurred with your search: 1) The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included

One thing I've noticed in these searches that might be relevant: Only older thread were being picked up by the search, a lot of old threads with start dates of 2006 popped up and I don't think any very current ones did.

Could this be a database issue or something like that where only older threads are being referenced for searches?

Edit:
    Follow up...damn, I just did a search for this thread using exact title and it worked just fine, so it can pull recent threads and do so correctly sometimes.

PS: Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands at work, damn having to work a semi-holiday like Columbus Day
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 11-Oct-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Updating info

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Consider it still work in progress.

Super Moderator

United States
    No sweat, really. I can workaround it in the mean time. A google search of: http://forum.homepageofthedead.com, "Captain America's movie costume design revealed" pops the thread right up.

So I can easily be a pantstastic, picayune, past-referencing smartass in the meantime...and that's what really counts
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 11-Oct-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: coding error

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Consider it still work in progress.
    Just a further update on this...

Andy has pinpointed the cause of it. We're busy trying to solve it, and this accounts for a couple of the "Database Errors" you may have encountered periodically while trying to access the forum.

So while we've made some progress, it's still a work in progress, but hopefully soon it will be sorted

---------- Post added 16-Oct-2010 at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-Oct-2010 at 04:36 PM ----------

Right... Over the past few days we're updated all the posts in the forum to the new format. The searches should now be working better...

Let us know if you agree or not!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Ive tried a couple of searches today, seems alot better than it was.

United States
    yay, it's working again!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    yay, it's working again!!
    Phew! Glad it's worked!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Excellent! In but a moment, I was able to bring up one of my favorite threads!

Administrator

England
    Just to give you an insight into the amount of work involved with some of these things... Here's our work log for fixing the searches. As you can see it took four days:-

15000 to 22000 - Done 13-Oct 11:12
    22000 to 29000 - Done 13-Oct 12:14
    29000 to 36000 - Done 13-Oct 15:01
    36000 to 43000 - Done 13-Oct 16:14
    43000 to 50000 - Done 13-Oct 18:45
    50000 to 57000 - Done 13-Oct 21:17
    57000 to 64000 - Done 13-Oct 22:33
    64000 to 71000 - Done 14-Oct 09:11
    71000 to 78000 - Done 14-Oct 10:42
    78000 to 86000 - Done 14-Oct 11:46
    86000 to 93000 - Done 14-Oct 12:49
    93000 to 100000 - Done 14-Oct 13:51
    100000 to 107000 - Done 14-Oct 15:16
    107000 to 114000 - Done 14-Oct 20:45
    114000 to 121000 - Done 14-Oct 22:24
    121000 to 130000 - Done 15-Oct 8:36
    130000 to 139000 - Done 15-Oct 10:21
    139000 to 147000 - Done 15-Oct 12:04
    147000 to 155000 - Done 15-Oct 13:16
    155000 to 163000 - Done 15-Oct 14:28
    163000 to 176500 - Done 15-Oct 15:29
    176000 to 184000 - Done 15-Oct 18:22
    184000 to 192000 - Done 15-Oct 16:50
    192000 to 200000 - Done 15-Oct 19:58
    200000 to 208000 - Done 15-Oct 21:49
    208000 to 218000 - Done 16-Oct 08:43
    218000 to 228000 - Done 16-Oct 10:18
    228000 to 237000 - Done 16-Oct 12:03
    237000 to 246000 - Done 16-Oct 16:27
    246000 to ?????? - Done 16-Oct 20:40 FINISHED!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    we do appreciate the hard work and time you guys put into it....nothing like a properly-working search feature up and running like a well-oiled machine.

btw, have you guys checked the chatbox and noticed my proposal about paying a nominal member's fee in order to being bombard by annoying ads? that "suck" ad is driving me up a wall, i've got to scroll around it every time i change tabs, and even when i think i miss it, the damn thing pops out...inconvenient and irritating, i tell ya.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 18-Oct-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: addition

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    we do appreciate the hard work and time you guys put into it....nothing like a properly-working search feature up and running like a well-oiled machine.

btw, have you guys checked the chatbox and noticed my proposal about paying a nominal member's fee in order to being bombard by annoying ads? that "suck" ad is driving me up a wall, i've got to scroll around it every time i change tabs, and even when i think i miss it, the damn thing pops out...inconvenient and irritating, i tell ya.
    To be honest the shoutbox isnt the best place to raise issues as we dont all check it often, messages are sometimes missed. If you have a question or problem the best thing to do is either PM me or neil, about issues with the site or forums, technical problems and group enquiries, or one of the super moderators with a more general forum issue. If your not sure who to contact then just post a question in this forum, no question is too stupid. thats what its here for.

Anyway, I Saw it, i dont personally want to charge anyone money for using the forums but the adverts and terms of membership are neils department anyway.