Thread: Walk with the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Walk with the Dead

I know leo just did one but you can never have enough TWD imo.

Damn these 2 weeks are creeping by.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/112/1127252p1.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Regarding how close the show will track with the comic, Darabont responded, "We're going in every spastic direction we can and we're taking as many detours as we can. If good ideas come up, let's not ignore them. We step off the path, we can always step back on it. There are going to be a lot of surprises even for the most devoted fans of the comic."
    Very interesting...personally, I'm happy, but I'm sure some will not be pleased by this.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This paragraph fills me with all kinds of joy.

Kirkman's favorite zombie movie is Day of the Dead because it's "the nastiest." Hurd prefers Night of…, as does Darabont, though he agreed that Day of… is great and underrated and that he loves "the pressure cooker kind of thing" of the film. Shaun of the Dead, Dead-Alive and the 28 Days Later pictures all got shout-outs too (even though Darabont said he knows the latter's creatures aren't technically zombies… yadda, yadda, yadda).

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Very interesting...personally, I'm happy, but I'm sure some will not be pleased by this.
    Yeh, like me. Personnally I don't see any need to deviate at all. There's a sterling screenplay already printed and it's the comic. The events within are all anyone needs to make an exciting and successful series.

My worst apprehension is that the decision will be taken not to kill off major characters, especially with all the "it's character driven" bollocks that's been thrown around (I actually don't think that the characters in 'The Walking Dead' are anything to write home about to be honest). But US TV series are notoriously squimish about knocking off core people in shows. I hope that's not the case, as this is actually one of the better items about Kirkman's effort. It lends a lot to the idea that NOBODY is safe and anyone can go at any time.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 13-Oct-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    My worst apprehension is that the decision will be taken not to kill off major characters, especially with all the "it's character driven" bollocks that's been thrown around (I actually don't think that the characters in 'The Walking Dead' are anything to write home about to be honest). But US TV series are notoriously squimish about knocking off core people in shows. I hope that's not the case, as this is actually one of the better items about Kirkman's effort. It lends a lot to the idea that NOBODY is safe and anyone can go at any time.
    But as you mentioned....that's the beauty of the source material. The core group of characters is always changing(for the most part). The people that you thought would be around forever are killed off and new characters are continuously brought in. If they're really going for a long-running series like they say, I'm sure they know that core characters have got to come and go. I just hope that it's not one of those season finale cliffhangers that US tv always does. Someone is JUST about to die at the end of the last episode of the season, so you have to wait until the next season to see what actually happens. A bit of a cliche that grates at my nerves.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, like me. Personnally I don't see any need to deviate at all. There's a sterling screenplay already printed and it's the comic. The events within are all anyone needs to make an exciting and successful series.
    I think there's using the source material to it's utmost and then there's being slavish to it. One is great, the other will run in to problems with conflicting mediums of storytelling.

My worst apprehension is that the decision will be taken not to kill off major characters, especially with all the "it's character driven" bollocks that's been thrown around (I actually don't think that the characters in 'The Walking Dead' are anything to write home about to be honest).
    I agree the high mortality rate should be kept, and done so in a way as accurate to the source material as possible.

Regardless, you always seem like a hard cookie to please when it comes to entertainment media, Shootem, so good luck being happy with the final product.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    But as you mentioned....that's the beauty of the source material. The core group of characters is always changing(for the most part). The people that you thought would be around forever are killed off and new characters are continuously brought in. If they're really going for a long-running series like they say, I'm sure they know that core characters have got to come and go. I just hope that it's not one of those season finale cliffhangers that US tv always does. Someone is JUST about to die at the end of the last episode of the season, so you have to wait until the next season to see what actually happens. A bit of a cliche that grates at my nerves.
    Agree Bassy. hope to christ that kind of "Lost" nonsense is left out completely. Don't hold your breath though lad ;0)

The season cliffhanger thing is rubbish...especially when there's no next season. ha ha.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

I think there's using the source material to it's utmost and then there's being slavish to it. One is great, the other will run in to problems with conflicting mediums of storytelling.
    I don't think the producers should be slaves to anything. But, I also don't think they should depart TOO much either. Take WWII for example. There's 6 years of excellent material to draw from and producers of war movies STILL insist on diluting the material with poxy cliches and romance subplots. It drives me crazy. The producers of 'The Walking Dead' have excellent material to draw from. In fact the comic and 'Day of the Dead' are the zenth of the genre. There's NOTHING else that comes remotely close to it. I've been riveted to the graphic novels for years now and I believe it would be a huge mistake to deviate TOO much from Kirkman's path. It has tension by the bucketload and a story that'll be hard to better.

I agree the high mortality rate should be kept, and done so in a way as accurate to the source material as possible.

Regardless, you always seem like a hard cookie to please when it comes to entertainment media, Shootem, so good luck being happy with the final product.
    Yep, I can be. But, it's only because I am sick of sub-par material wafting my way. That and un-necessary additions into source (historical or otherwise). Such distractions rarely add to a project and quite often detract. For instance, I sat down to watch the first series of 'Rome' and for some stupid reason the producers saw fit to "spice up" the history with a lezbo affair between Octavia (Caeser's Great-niece) and Servilla (the mother of Brutus). Why they did that, fuck knows. But it didn't add anything except a couple of pairs of tits to the basic story...which is choc-a-bloc FULL of drama, intrigue, tragedy and excitement anyway based on reality. A nonsense decision and utterly needless.

Problem is, I have seen too many good ideas destroyed by idiocy. It awful to watch a program or a movie and think "I could have done better than that".
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 13-Oct-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....