Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Fallout: New Vegas

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well, I wasn't a big fan of the first one either, so maybe that's it.

Just can't get into it. As you can see from my gamercard I'd rather play a 4 year old oblivion.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Been having a blast with New Vegas. Although, I'm really upset that in order to get all of the achievements you have to play through the game 4 times. Either that or keep a very strategic set-up of save files, which you would only know how to keep if you were reading spoilers.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Also been having a blast with this one. Got bored of Reach and wanted to mill around quietly in a game building up a character...NV has certainly helped with that craving. It takes about an hour or so to get over the fact that this game is NO DIFFERENT from it's predecessor in so many areas - I know people have been talking about the re-use of the colour palette but the argument seems to have forgotten to mention that its not just the palette but the SPRITES too! The lockers, desks, doors, etc are all exactly copy and pasted from Fallout 3 - a little variation or modification would have been nice!

I'm already on level 10 and the system is capped at 30 - which I have always found to be the biggest pain in these type of games - I'd like to be able to level up way past normal when I've completed the main campaign.

Still very much enjoying it though - trying to earn my way onto the strip without paying that damn robot 2000 caps!

And that's the other issue I remember having with these games - avoiding the main campaign! the game isn't playable when the main campaign has ended so it can be quite challenging to explore the game without actually having unlocked the areas for exploration to begin with - side stepping as much as possible to ensure I dont end up completing the game like I did with my first playthrough of F3 - and on my second play through I was so good at avoiing the main campaign that I leveled up to maximum having only done about 20% of the main storyline - leaving me no incentive to complete the game because I'd reached the most powerful I could be!

Still, very enjoyable and a nice nice break from Halo so I'm happy
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Still very much enjoying it though - trying to earn my way onto the strip without paying that damn robot 2000 caps!
    This is how I did it:

Do some work for The Kings (located right by the entrance to the strip). If you do good, THE King will offer you one favor. Of the choices of favors to pick, you can choose for him to get you a passport for the strip.
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 03-Nov-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: tag

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    This is how I did it:

Do some work for The Kings (located right by the entrance to the strip). If you do good, THE King will offer you one favor. Of the choices of favors to pick, you can choose for him to get you a passport for the strip.

yep, I'm on that mission now actually - I spoke with the female owner of the nearby strip club and after collecting various debts she put me onto our Elvis friend - wasn't happy about paying 500 caps to get to see him but was happy I got them back! I've just done the mission to find the bodyguard who's conning people, and am now onto finding out what happened to his buddies

as for bugs:
    I got the update downloaded as soon as I bought the game and haven't experienced much dodgy stuff at all really - the game booted up, updated, then crashed, then on a reboot my dashboard software changed and all was well - so far no crashes (fingers crossed) but I wasn't able to initiate conversations with a lady who owed another character some money in the Freeside area - the dialogue wouldn't open so I tried pickpocketing her but she caught me, so I blew her head off and took the coins back to the boss-lady. All is good.

more spoilers - this time about allegiances and my thoughts on potential factions

I think that the NCR and the Legonaries have much more than meets the eye - alarm bells have gone off with the NCR saying about taxing civvies and of course any of you who have gone past the third mission of the main story will know that one of the towns seems to have been completely raped by the Legion - with one of their members promoting his barbarous ways to our main hero - I think this is potentially a bit of a fallacy and we might find out that the people who destroyed Novac (think it was that place) were actually NCR dressed as legionaries - or even more so I think they might turn out to be the same faction under different guises making this big deception - of course I have no idea! this is just speculation!!

What I really love is that it doesn't force you into clear cut moral choices and lets you decide for yourself. For instance I'm a bit of an antiestablishment type so the idea of the NCR and the way they treat people is abhorrent to me - my ideal post apocalytpic world has no tax system like theirs! of course the legion hardly seem the lesser of the evils but I'm not being forced to take sides, and with each dialogue option I can better allow my character to express MY distaste for that part of the game and work against all the evil that I personally find in the factions....fallout 3 was more like "choose good (brotherhood of steel)" or "choose bad" - this is definitely more open.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 03-Nov-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: POO!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Here's a link to a gameguide and some cheatcodes:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallo...=footer%3Blink

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Annoyingly I am levelling up way too quickly. It seems whenever I do a side quest I get to level up. This is cool and everything but with a 30 level cap I'm pretty pissed that I'm going to essentially demotivate myself from completing any missions or whatever because it essentially means my character will stay the same as ever and has no real tangiable way of progressing unless I find all the skill books in the game.

I'm already level 20 or something and this is ridiculous.

WHY can't they design these games with a cap-removal thing whereby as soon as the main campaign is finished the levels open up for you and you can essentially get all the perks and abilities up to the maximum? It's not like they are losing money from putting this in. This really gets on my nerves. Exactly the same thing happened to me in Oblivion and Fallout 3...

Level up too quickly and there's no incentive to complete the main story
    do the main story too quickly and the game's over and no possible way of levelling up.

even more annoyingly is trying to avoid the main campaign to begin with - it seems every fucking mission is part of the main campaign until you get to the Strip.

Despite what I said up there though, this game is way better than fallout 3 and I am enjoying it very much - I just want to have a big, strong and powerful character with a lot of skills and attributes but I can't because they insist on capping it all the time - I bet the PC version has an unlock cheat.

United States
    so is this like fallout 3 (prior to the patch, that is) where the game ends once the main story is complete, or are you allowed to continue with side quests after the main story is over?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm getting kind of worried. Ya know how when you level up, you get to pick a perk? Well for the past 3 times I've leveled up, I haven't received any chance to pick new perks! Is this supposed to happen or did my game glitch terribly? (I think I'm like a level 17? Not sure).

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm getting kind of worried. Ya know how when you level up, you get to pick a perk? Well for the past 3 times I've leveled up, I haven't received any chance to pick new perks! Is this supposed to happen or did my game glitch terribly? (I think I'm like a level 17? Not sure).
    You're sure it's the last 3 times, Mike? You are only able to pick a new perk every other level in FO: NV.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    You're sure it's the last 3 times, Mike? You are only able to pick a new perk every other level in FO: NV.
    I just leveled up again and got to pick a perk. I think what it was, was I leveled up then died, then had to re-load before the level up, so I immediately leveled up again (same thing twice) and my brain just registered that as happening multiple times without re-loading.

Super Moderator

United States
    I just leveled up again and got to pick a perk. I think what it was, was I leveled up then died, then had to re-load before the level up, so I immediately leveled up again (same thing twice) and my brain just registered that as happening multiple times without re-loading.
    I will say the only somewhat annoying bug that has caused me a problem (really only an inconvenience) are the surface textures and detection bugs I run into. I see scorpions halfway in the ground on occasion and other mobs sticking out of walls, not such a big deal, but a noticeable lag of quality. What gets me is that I found a hole the other day that I could not get past into a room. The hole you would fall through would just port you to the other end of the tunnel you had entered. Again, big deal? Maybe, maybe not...is there a unique weapon or a quest related NPC/object on the other side of that hole?

Again, I love the game and think the additions, though small, add to the game immensely for me.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I will say the only somewhat annoying bug that has caused me a problem (really only an inconvenience) are the surface textures and detection bugs I run into. I see scorpions halfway in the ground on occasion and other mobs sticking out of walls, not such a big deal, but a noticeable lag of quality. What gets me is that I found a hole the other day that I could not get past into a room. The hole you would fall through would just port you to the other end of the tunnel you had entered. Again, big deal? Maybe, maybe not...is there a unique weapon or a quest related NPC/object on the other side of that hole?

Again, I love the game and think the additions, though small, add to the game immensely for me.
    Was that the train tunnel near the Boomer gang?? That happened to me yesterday. There's some steps that you can't go up without falling through the map and getting put back to the door.

Very frustrating - that seems to be the alternative way to the hideout but you can't take it??

I've not had many bugs at all, tbh - I was in The Thorn (the arena) and my two accomplicies were stuck on the main battle floor and wouldn't follow me out - so I had to tell them to "wait" then physically push them onto the staircase - after that they were OK.

Couple of times my companion's gotten lost but always found me again in a timely fashion.

I've caned through SO much of this game right now, having discovered nearly all the locations without the use of Explorer perk - I've not done much of the main campaign but when my character is maxed out I'll just blitz through it. The way it's working out is that my character has gotten so strong now (level 27) that doing any of the missions means I can end most peacefully without conflict, or if I do get into a scrap, one shotgun shell in the face is more than enough to kill most enemies.

Current companions are:

Lily (Super Mutant)
    Rex (dog) - Rex is STRONG!!

waiting at the Lucky 38 is a girl I picked up from 188 Trading Post - Alex? Alice? Something like that.

United States
    i almost broke down and bought this the other day, but they only had the rip-off deluxe edition, where you get a deck of playing cards and a handful of useless poker chips. no copies of the regular rip-off edition, so i decided it was a sign that i should stick to my guns and get the proper GOTY edition with bugs fixed and all DLCs included.

the dork at best buy was like "oh man, you'll have to wait almost a whole year for that!" to which i replied, "i've got other games to keep me busy, and i'll save probably 50 bucks on the complete experience by holding off till then. it'll still be the same game, man."...and the asshole looked at me like i had just walked off a space ship. fucking hardcore gamer-nerds, man....*picks nose*....they creep me out.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I'd highly recommend buying it - can I just reiterate that since installing the update I have had very little to no bugs whatsoever! Nothing that wasn't present in Fallout 3 or Oblivion - just small things which haven't hurt the game at all.

Maxed out at level 30 now - now onto the main camaign and finding skill books...