Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are your MUST SEE movies for Halloween?

United States
    that's why i have signatures turned off....animated signatures, unless done right and using the right material (tricky's & billy ray's) are very annoying.

and the reason i know of the above signatures is because if i'm just lurking and not logged in i am forced to see them.

as for my "must-see" halloween movies, it's usually halloween 1 & 2, maybe RZ's remake of halloween, the crow, and NotLD.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    In the same outfit? Sure. How did you know that's what i'm interested in?

I just thought it was funny that someone has a gif of a girl doing that little jig as a signature...
    way to be offended on something i never went into.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Uhh....way to think I was offended when I wasnt. I guess.

Twitching

United States
    After seeing what's been on offer for this week leading up to Halloween, I'm definitely wanting to see some higher-quality classics instead of played to death flicks that get played a ton the rest of the year as well. Even something as simple as Fright Night, Near Dark, or even a couple of less well known but decent zombie or vampire flicks. It just gets old seeing the same ole standbys blared again and again. Heck, something like The Puppetmasters, though a touch sci-fi-esque would be a novel change. Maybe even Dracula 2000 if we're headed for the realm of cheesy anyways.

Chiefly though, I'd really like to see the Evil Dead films on AMC. This year's Fear Fest, other than The Walking Dead of course, has been a really, REALLY weak showing. Nothing wrong with airing the slasher franchises, but support them with some decent solo flicks.

United States
    Watched Hallween 4-6 last night. 4 was great. Very epic. 5 just meandered in circles for an hour until the fnal act to set up 6. 6 was a confusing mish-mash mess with an ending that made no sense. I remembered enjoying the whole "Thorn" storyline more when I was younger than I do now.

I had a much longer, beautifully detailed review review of each one, but teh forumz ate mai post, & now I don't feel like rewriting it.

Up next is H20 & Resurrection, in which the series is restarted...again, discarding 4-6 & directly following up 1&2. I haven't seen these so I'm kind of looking forward to it, but kind of afraid I'll be dissapointed at the same time, which is part of the reason I never watched them when they 1st came out.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 24-Oct-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: pure e-vil

Twitching

United States
    Via Con Dios,
    H20 is totally meh, and Resurrection is strictly mediocre while fused with a cheesy premise. If you've never seen them I guess it's worth it for the sake of thoroughness, but wouldn't get my hopes up bro. I put H2O about in the same category as Rob Zombi's fumbling remakes.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Up next is H20 & Resurrection, in which the series is restarted...again, discarding 4-6 & directly following up 1&2. I haven't seen these so I'm kind of looking forward to it, but kind of afraid I'll be dissapointed at the same time, which is part of the reason I never watched them when they 1st came out.
    Watched H20 & Resurrection on Sunday.

H20 was aiight, not bad, but nothing major. Probably better than 5 & 6 (not saying much there), but not as good a 1, 2, or 4.

Resurrection? Ugh. Pretty damn not good. Started off good. If they'ed have made the whole movie Michael chasing Laurie at the asylum that would have been great, but that part was quickly over, & then the rest of the movie set in. Goofy premise, painfully awkward "Look! We r down with teh kidz & teh hotness. Check out r web camz & text messaging!" And Michael get his ass kicked by BUSTA RHYMES. Let me say that again: MICHAEL GETS HIS ASS KICKED BY BUSTA RHYMES!!!! Way to shit all over one of the greatest icons in Slasher Movie history.

Up next: Friday the 13th (series)
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 26-Oct-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: change of plans...goddamn it. :(

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Looks like you and I are switching it up, Moon. I finished the Friday series last week and last night I started the Halloween series. My original opinion of the first film still stands - I just don't get the following it has. It's nothing really special. It drags quite a bit, actually. Not bad, but not great.

Here's the statement that I'm sure I'll get shit for....I think I may enjoy Halloween 2 more than the first. I enjoyed the hospital setting and it all felt fresh after the lulling original.

Tonight is part three, which I believe is the one with no Mike Myers? Looking forward to that. Only to have him come back again in part four. hrm.

United States
    Tonight is part three, which I believe is the one with no Mike Myers? Looking forward to that. Only to have him come back again in part four. hrm.
    Bass, don't forget your Silver Shamrock mask!

Five more days to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, five more days to Halloween, Silver Shamrock!

(On a side note, they ought to really make those masks for folks, you could get yourself and two friends together to go as the three different masks -- of course only a few people would get it, but it would still be golden).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Looks like you and I are switching it up, Moon. I finished the Friday series last week and last night I started the Halloween series. My original opinion of the first film still stands - I just don't get the following it has. It's nothing really special. It drags quite a bit, actually. Not bad, but not great.
    Hmmm, Remember the 1st is nothing special IN HIND SIGHT. When it first came out, it was pretty groundbreaking & set off the whole "slasher movie" trend,& established a lot of the tropes of the genre that many would follow for years to come.

As for the following, hmmm, that's always a hard one. Can't speak for others, but I think he did a great job of creating a "legendary" character in Michael Myers & does a great job establishing a mood w/ Dr. Loomis.

As for the pacing, I'd thought of that a lot in recent viewings. The conclusion I came to is, yes it IS very slow, but it makes the ending more dynamic (to me). It's a long, slow build while we're shown a Norman Rockwell slice of small town America that is not quite right, there is something dark & sinister building under the surface.

Here's the statement that I'm sure I'll get shit for....I think I may enjoy Halloween 2 more than the first. I enjoyed the hospital setting and it all felt fresh after the lulling original.
    Nah, won't give you shit for it. I can see where you're coming from. I gotta give the 1st one props for being FIRST though. The 2nd one is a lot "busier" than the 1st. There's more going on & it starts from the get go. I like to think of both movies as 2 parts of the same thing though, as it all takes place in one night, so that may be why. The fact that Hill & Carpenter wrote it as well helps too.

Yeah, 3 is sans MM. Carpenters original idea was to make like an anthology series. To every Halloween have a new "Halloween" movie, but about something different. But the 1st was so successful they wanted more of the same. After that was out of the way they tried it w/ the 3rd. After the negitive reaction it received producer Moustapha Akkad eventually revivied the franchise w/ #4.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hmmm, Remember the 1st is nothing special IN HIND SIGHT. When it first came out, it was pretty groundbreaking & set off the whole "slasher movie" trend,& established a lot of the tropes of the genre that many would follow for years to come.
    Ehhh. I understand where you're coming from, but on the other hand Carpenter also made The Thing. A film that needs no "in hind sight" to enjoy. Still a fantastic slice of fried gold.

United States
    Ehhh. I understand where you're coming from, but on the other hand Carpenter also made The Thing. A film that needs no "in hind sight" to enjoy. Still a fantastic slice of fried gold.
    Yeah, but "The Thing" stands alone, not in a field that soon became crowded by imitators. I think "Halloween" is still a great film, period. But I also feel like it's easy to loose sight of the films merits, that it sometimes becomes obscured by all of the knock offs that followed in it's wake. That's why I feel compelled to point out the cultural conxet of the time in which it was created, & what came before & after.

But then again, I alos think the fact that the film is still being viewed & discussed 32 years later, when all of the imitators have largely been forgotten, speaks volumes in & of itself.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 26-Oct-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Space, the final frontier...

Undisclosed
    Must See is pretty much any decent Horror/Sci-Fi flick during the month.
    Preferably any film I haven't seen fifty zillion times (except maybe for Tremors. )
    TCM is always good for the oldies, though I wish they'd carry the Hammer Drac series all the through to the end. Lee and Cushing rule!
    I just taped the restored original Nosferatu (22 ) and it looks great. I also got Carl Dreyers Vampyr (32) which (shame of shames )I've never seen all the way through. I've got to re-establish my film buff credits here. The Return of The Vampire (42) is sorta a throw away, but novel as it has Vampire Bela Legosi prowling around London during the Blitz. Unfortunately the last film, Count Yorga(70) got the last ten minutes chopped off by mistake. But for you younger kids, this was what I was watching in the seventies.
    I finally saw I Sell The Dead and it was a fun retro romp, Reminded me of some of Amicus' anthologies, like Tales From The Crypt or Vault of Horror.
    Oh, I trying out Dead Set ( running this week on the Independent Film Channel ) which predeceases Walking Dead, with a drunken premise of a Big Brother reality show clashing with a zombie uprising. It's not making a believer out of me. Once you get them out of the studio it quicky becomes a standard zombie romp. I think the AMC show will be better.

Wayne Z
    "This ain't no Creature Double feature or Midnight Horror Flick, babe. "
    Dead Fall; Foreshadow.
    Last edited by wayzim; 27-Oct-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: punctuation

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well, just finished 'Corpse Bride', so that's another off the list. Wait, was it on the list? Who cares, good film, anyway.

United States
    Up next: Friday the 13th (series)
    The TV series, or the movies?