Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are your MUST SEE movies for Halloween?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    The TV series, or the movies?
    Good lord. Just thinking about how crappy the movies are....the series has got to be the biggest pile of shit on the planet....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Good lord. Just thinking about how crappy the movies are....the series has got to be the biggest pile of shit on the planet....
    The TV series actually has nothing to do with the films at all (in the slightest) and is actually a really good series. I remember watching it with my dad when I was younger. The show is basically about this older guy, a younger girl, younger guy and how the three of them run this antique store and try to get back these evil/possessed items that were sold by the former owner of the antique store who sold his soul. It's a great deal of fun. All the items that were sold are "evil" in some way and cause all kinds of tragic destruction and mayhem (one of my favorite episodes actually includes this guy who gets an antique car AM stereo and when he rubs blood on it it gives him the ability to return back to the early 50's to see his grandfather).

The show "Warehouse 13" (which isn't anywhere near as good as the series "Friday the 13th") basically rips off this show's premise.

All 3 seasons of "Friday the 13th: The Series" are available on DVD and are definitely worth a watch. It's great late 80's/early 90's entertainment and a few episodes are actually really good as opposed to just good.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 28-Oct-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: because I said so...
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Surprising. Thanks for the heads up. Just looked around and it does have some good reviews. I think i've seen it from time to time on the SyFy or Chiller networks, so i'll keep an eye out for it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

All 3 seasons of "Friday the 13th: The Series" are available on DVD and are definitely worth a watch. It's great late 80's/early 90's entertainment and a few episodes are actually really good as opposed to just good.

j.p.
    the friday series is a very good, sometimes great horror show. the first two seasons are the best because that dude that they brought in the 3rd season, who thought he was fonzi, irritated me.

the best episodes (in my not so humble opinion) are the scarecrow ep., the ep. about the pirates gold, and the one where they travel back and meet bram stoker. there are several other standouts but those 3 have always stuck out in my mind.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    The TV series actually has nothing to do with the films at all (in the slightest) and is actually a really good series. I remember watching it with my dad when I was younger. The show is basically about this older guy, a younger girl, younger guy and how the three of them run this antique store and try to get back these evil/possessed items that were sold by the former owner of the antique store who sold his soul. It's a great deal of fun. All the items that were sold are "evil" in some way and cause all kinds of tragic destruction and mayhem (one of my favorite episodes actually includes this guy who gets an antique car AM stereo and when he rubs blood on it it gives him the ability to return back to the early 50's to see his grandfather).

The show "Warehouse 13" (which isn't anywhere near as good as the series "Friday the 13th") basically rips off this show's premise.

j.p.
    This x1000! I LOVED Friday the 13th: The Series (I think it was called "Friday's Curse" across the pond) - not only did Micky Foster (Louise Robey) start my intense redhead fettish, it really was a great series to boot.

The DVD's for all three seasons were FINALLY made available last year. Paramount was a bunch of idiots waiting that long, considering for how long people were selling copies of the DVD's ripped from VHS recordings of the shows on ebay - and people were getting well over $100-150 for those burned copies!

I will say this: the quality of the DVD's isn't outstanding (I have all three, as I'm a major fan of the show) because it was shot on video, but it's worth having if you dig the series.

Mike - The Scarecrow was one of my favorites. There's a lot of great episodes, but that one always comes to mind when I think of the show. And yes, "Johnny" ruined the show. John D. LeMay should've stayed on for that last season. The chemistry between him, Robey and Chris Wiggins was fantastic, and they never recreated that magic with Johnny.

I will say this - they way they got rid of Ryan (LeMay) on the show was a pretty cheap way of doing so, but how else do you eliminate a character from a show without killing him off?
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 28-Oct-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: because I fucking felt like it

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn....yous guys are making me want to buy the damn show. Definitely going to do a search for it on the DVR when I get home. I'm shocked so many seem to like it.

Let me ask you this though....Seeing as i'm not a fan of the Friday movies, will I still enjoy these? I know they're not really related, but is it that same kind of cheesy repeated storyline deal?

United States
    You might, bassman, if you like things like Twilight Zone and, like JP said, the new Warehouse 13 is exactly the same as FT13th:TS - well, except they're lacking a hot redhead.

Remember when/if you watch this, it was a mid-80's series, so it is a tad dated with it's visual fx and all, but the stories were where the gold is. Some of them were pretty heart-wrenching stories.

All i can say is, try and find episodes from season 1 or 2. Season 2 was much more "matured" than season 1, but they were "finding their groove" so-to-speak with the first season.

United States

Let me ask you this though....Seeing as i'm not a fan of the Friday movies, will I still enjoy these? I know they're not really related, but is it that same kind of cheesy repeated storyline deal?
    A few of the episodes are a bit cheesy (it was made in the 80's after all); but the majority of the show is actually extremely intelligent writing and the acting is quite good. The theme song to the show used to scare me quite badly when I was little too.

To answer your question, no, it's not the same type of thing. The series is more adult-entered with telling entertaining stories about cursed objects/antiques and the pursuit to bring them back to the antique shop "vault" to keep them away from people. It's a story of the week show with a very dark undertone.

j.p.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sounds almost like an Indiana Jones series. But with more horror...

Super Moderator

United States
    Speaking of which (and sorry for the threadjack, but...), I haven't seen Young Indiana Jones since it aired. Anyone have any recent impressions of the series?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    It kinda is, yeah. The original owner of the antique shop (I believe his name was Lewis something) ended up making a deal with the devil for eternal life. In return for eternal life he sold cursed objects/antiques to people. Something or another happened to him (can't remember what exactly) and his niece and nephew (two of the three main characters on the show) end up taking over his antique shop not realizing the pact. This is where they are introduced to the scruffy older guy (can't remember his name but he's a fantastic actor) who comes in and knew about the cursed objects/antiques and had been trying to stop Lewis.

The show basically picks up from here and they work to go through Lewis's "journal" of cursed objects he sold with the names/addresses of people these objects were sold to so they can go and retrieve them before people die/get harmed. Each week is usually about a new object but occasionally they go back and re-visit an older object and sometimes Lewis shows up as well (turns out he's not really completely dead!) to wreak havoc on their efforts.

Man, now I'm going to have to look it up and re-watch this series.

j.p.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Speaking of which (and sorry for the threadjack, but...), I haven't seen Young Indiana Jones since it aired. Anyone have any recent impressions of the series?
    I saw a few recently. I still enjoy them. Of course there are ups and downs like any series. Sean Patrick Flannery was a good Indy for the show, imo. If you can find a few for cheap or *cough*free*cough*, I would say check them out.

The cool thing about the series is how it jumps around indy's life. You even get to see him as an old man.

United States
    It kinda is, yeah. The original owner of the antique shop (I believe his name was Lewis something) ended up making a deal with the devil for eternal life.
    Lewis Vendredi - and "Vendredi" means "Friday" in French.

bassman - the great thing about the series is it had nothing to do with the movies except for the title and the fact that Frank Mancuso Jr. was the producer for the show and the movies.

Clickey for the Friday the 13th: The Series wiki page - beware, there could be some spoilers in there.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 28-Oct-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: because i fucking felt like it

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    The TV series, or the movies?
    Movies. Never watched the series. Just not interested.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

the show revolves around 2 cousins, played by robey (the hot redhead) and john lemay, who are attempting to recover the cursed objects that their evil-as-fu manchu uncle lewis sold to people. each object has a special power that is usually unlocked by an act or, in most cases, repeated acts of murder; powers that give the one possessing the object some kind of material or physical benefit.

i mentioned a few eps. in my first post on this subject but another stand out has come to mind: the ep. "faith healer" which was directed by david cronenberg.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."