Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are your MUST SEE movies for Halloween?

United States

What are your MUST SEE movies for Halloween?

October is going fast. With all the work & home related stuff I've had going I haven't had time to think about it, but now I'm REALLY starting to get the horror itch ( or maybe that's just VD...?)

ANYWAY, anyone have any traditions, any must see viewing? I spent some birthday money over the weekend & got all of the Elm Street flicks, so I really want to take them for a spin. I'd love to watch all of the F13th's as well. Usually try to pop "Halloween" in. Just picked up 2 over the weekend, so that would make a nice double feature.

Yours?
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 19-Oct-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: punk-chew-a-shun!

United States
    Here are the films I have lined up for Halloween weekend:

The Rifftrax version of "Night of the Living Dead" (for when I'm drunk).
    "The Changeling" (1980 w/George C. Scott) -- I've never seen it so actually really looking forward to it.
    "Trick 'R Treat"
    "Orphan"
    "I Sell The Dead"
    "The New Daughter" (hey, say what you will about Kevin Costner, but I dig the dude no matter how much you make fun of me for it!).
    "The Crazies" (new version -- instant streaming on Netflix on 10/28, baby!)
    "Doghouse"
    "Night of the Demons" (new version, not getting up much hope on this).
    "Dark Night of the Scarecrow" (1981 -- this is another that has slipped through the cracks I'm looking forward to seeing).
    "Splice"
    "Altitude".

And there may be another one or two added for good measure before that weekend. I've got a full schedule of flicks to watch, so I'm looking forward to it. Horror flicks on Halloween weekend with a couple 24-packs of Milwaukee's Best. Life is good.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    rosemary's baby - my fav horror flick ever. i've been watching it on halloween for over 20 years.

son of frankenstein

salem's lot
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Probably just the original trilogy of GAR zombie films and Creepshow... maybe Friday the 13th part one... Nightmare before Christmas... that'll do 'er.

United States
    Well, certianly required viewing is Halloween (no, fuck you RZ, not your shit version, Carpenter's, of course!).

I will probably watch the following along with Halloween:

Friday the 13th (one or several of the first 4)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (original, and only the first one)
    House on Haunted Hill (shut up bassman! don't even say it! )
    The Thing
    Evil Dead 2
    Army of Darkness
    Dawn of the Dead (i'll let you guess as to which version.. )

and that's pretty much my "required" viewing. I could watch Sharktopus again, as that's one of the scariest things I've ever seen put on film (and by 'scary' I mean, it's scary the fucking thing got made to begin with! ) but I think I'll pass.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not movies really...but i'm about halfway through the Munsters series. Love that show.

Other than that....the usual Romero stuff all day Halloween leading up to The Walking Dead. And pretty much anything that comes on Fear Fest between now and then.

United States
    Oh, goddammit, I completely forgot about The Walking Dead - yeah, that's on my list, too. Not a "movie" per se, but it's on my list of must-watch items.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    "The Changeling" (1980 w/George C. Scott) -- I've never seen it so actually really looking forward to it.
    Ooooh I REALLY love that one. One of my favorite ghost movies. Very old school ghost movie. Nice little mysetry element thrown in too (so make sure you watch that one BEFORE the heavy drinking begins so you can follow the plot )

That makes me think, "The Fog" would be another good one for Halloween.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Ooooh I REALLY love that one. One of my favorite ghost movies. Very old school ghost movie. Nice little mysetry element thrown in too (so make sure you watch that one BEFORE the heavy drinking begins so you can follow the plot )

That makes me think, "The Fog" would be another good one for Halloween.

"the changling" is a great flick. the ball bouncing down the stairs creeped me the fook out when i was a kid.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 1 to 3, Alot of people tend to forget these films take place during Halloween,Nice thing for those who haven't got these on DVD yet is that the DVDs are pretty cheap to buy.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    All this week they've been playing the Friday the 13th films on Fright Fest, so I decided I would give them all a try seeing how I haven't seen them in years. Yeah....I still don't get the fascination. Especially considering that they're all basically the same film after #2. Talk about beating a dead horse.

They're okay for a halloween marathon as Fear Fest has been doing, but I don't understand the following these films get. They're rather weak in most places. The last one I saw was Manhattan(what is that...8?), so I think i've got one more to go tonight(Goes to Hell). AMC doesn't have "Jason X"(), but I saw that one around the time of it's release and wanted to hang myself.

Anyway....my .02 on the Friday series.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    All this week they've been playing the Friday the 13th films on Fright Fest, so I decided I would give them all a try seeing how I haven't seen them in years. Yeah....I still don't get the fascination. Especially considering that they're all basically the same film after #2. Talk about beating a dead horse.

They're okay for a halloween marathon as Fear Fest has been doing, but I don't understand the following these films get. They're rather weak in most places. The last one I saw was Manhattan(what is that...8?), so I think i've got one more to go tonight(Goes to Hell). AMC doesn't have "Jason X"(), but I saw that one around the time of it's release and wanted to hang myself.

Yeah, but these movies are just fun.

My favorite is "Friday VII: Jason V. Carrie". I kept waiting for the telekinetic chick to yell at Jason: "They're all gonna laugh at you!" (I randomly yell this phrase out at work during the day during a lull and people just stare at me, but I can't help it... it's one of my favorite quotes from a horror film).

I just want to meet the guy/gal that came up with the premise to that one: "Hey, I have a great idea! Let's have Jason be attacked by a chick who can fight back with the powers of her mind! That would be awesome!" -- and even though it's not Academy Award winning material necessarily, it is quite a bit of fun (and my most favorite Jason flick too).

j.p.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

I'm a huge fan of the series, & even I'm at a loss to explain why TBH. They just scratch some kind of (as I put it in the Nightmare thread) "juvenile & puerile" itch I have. They're almost like a comic book in a way. There's some kind of charm in their simple, blunt force approach. They strike me as the horror equivalent of fast food. They'll ever be fillet minion, but sometimes I'm in the mood for a Double Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese, dammit! . I like the the whole series for different reasons (except for Jason Goes to Hell, god was that awful!), but 2, 3 & 4 would probably be my favorites, as they form one overarching story. Almost a 3-act play if you will.

Yeah, but these movies are just fun.

My favorite is "Friday VII: Jason V. Carrie". I kept waiting for the telekinetic chick to yell at Jason: "They're all gonna laugh at you!" (I randomly yell this phrase out at work during the day during a lull and people just stare at me, but I can't help it... it's one of my favorite quotes from a horror film).

I just want to meet the guy/gal that came up with the premise to that one: "Hey, I have a great idea! Let's have Jason be attacked by a chick who can fight back with the powers of her mind! That would be awesome!" -- and even though it's not Academy Award winning material necessarily, it is quite a bit of fun (and my most favorite Jason flick too).

j.p.
    Actually, IIRC from the press in Fango, the idea was they wanted to have someone who could stand up to Jason, who could fight back as an equal. Since there would be no way for her to fight him PHYSICALLY, that's what led to the mental powers idea. Yeah, it's a silly premise, and a LOT OF FUN TO WATCH! Plus, that movie has the best looking "undead" Jason of them all. Great make-up SPFX.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 22-Oct-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: CH-CH-CH HA-HA-HA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdude View Post
    NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 1 to 3, Alot of people tend to forget these films take place during Halloween,Nice thing for those who haven't got these on DVD yet is that the DVDs are pretty cheap to buy.
    I LOVE the original Night of the Demons - although I can't say I've seen 2 or 3... the first one my wife and I watch over and over again and give each character names of our friends. Yeah, kinda scary we have friends like the people in that flick, eh? FYI - my wife and I were the couple that were screwing in the coffin.

YES! I've done this before at random times and just get a weird look for everyone. The only one that seems to get it is my wife, as she really dug the original Carrie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    YES! I've done this before at random times and just get a weird look for everyone. The only one that seems to get it is my wife, as she really dug the original Carrie.
    Lou, my friend, you have great taste in women to have met such a great wife.

It's honestly probably the one line I quote more often than any other. I'll just be out with friends / at my bar / at work / wherever and all the sudden I'll just start yelling it out in the mock female voice from "Carrie". When I'm around people I know I'll also start yelling "Plug it up! Plug it up!" too just to get a reaction.

Most people usually stare at me when I go into these moments like I'm stranger than I'm usually strange, but every now and then someone will just start cracking up or start going on along with me who has good taste in films too.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 22-Oct-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: The angry flying monkeys stole my original thought and I had to go to the Castle Anthrax to retrieve my thought to post it.