Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Spoiler Free Review of the pilot

England

My Spoiler Free Review of the pilot

Lets get this out of the way straight away THIS WILL BLOW PEOPLES SOCKS OFF.
    Im not kidding.
    I know people here are attracted to this genre for various different reasons but i'd like to think we all share some connection when zombies are involved. For me its the post acopalyptic scenario. I don't particularly need the gore element but it has its place when used well. In Darabonts take on the apocalypse, you are there. The world is dead and rotting. The military have lost the battle. You wake up with Rick in this new world and get to explore it with him. Its the exposition of the pilot that will probably put the gorehounds off and lead to some small criticism from others. Personally, i want to see that. I want to know how society responded to the phenomenon.
    Those who have read the comic books here know that Kirkmans trick is to get you attatched to the characters, like you know them intimately, then kill them off. Here Darabont uses the same trick but not how you would expect nor with who you would expect. Im personally invested in this series already. God knows what it will do to the average tv viewer. Im also not a particularly emotional person but i don't mind admitting that i was close to tears on a couple of occasions. There you go. I've said it. Just don't tell anyone
    I cant say enough about Frank darabont after watching this. He understands what this genre is all about and, more importantly, he understands Romero's zombie world. The zombies are Roamers and lurkers. They act how they should and you do feel sorry for them. This is explored really well. They are a small threat but in groups all riled up and hungry. Well, you know the rest.
    The score is also outstanding. Very understated but poignant.
    The cinematography is worthy of a movie and the camera moves a lot. I cant recall any shaky cam which some people here seem to despise.
    Kirkman, Darabont and AMC have come up with the series we have been waiting years for.
    Thank fuck for that.
    Long may it continue, and you know what? I think it will. The balance is perfect between a horror film, tv show and intelligent drama.

Oh and btw. Keep getting people onboard with this. Co workers. Non zombie lover friends. Anyone. They wont think you're wierd. They'll thank you. The Lost crowd are going to lap this up.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 20-Oct-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Post comment added
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Sounds good Kid. I know you've been pretty hyped about this, so if it meet & exceded expectations as high as yours seem to have been then it must be good indeed. Great news.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 20-Oct-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: speleling

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Sounds good Kid. I know you've been pretty hyped about this, so if it meet & exceded expectations as high as yours seem to have been then it must be good indeed. Great news.
    It certainly has my friend. I can't say enough good things about this. I guess its just pushed the right buttons. Even though I've watched all the videos and read the reviews nothing has been spoiled. The scenes do not play out as they have cut them in the videos. Very clever.

Good times.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm forcing myself to wait only 10 more days. But damn man....it's so tempting.

United States
    jesus.....can't......hold......out...

hanging out and making connections with my new lady friend the hot redheaded girl next door, this afternoon, i didn't think this day could get much better.....but oh, man....

FUCK IT, I'M GOING FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm forcing myself to wait only 10 more days. But damn man....it's so tempting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    jesus.....can't......hold......out...

hanging out and making connections with my new lady friend the hot redheaded girl next door, this afternoon, i didn't think this day could get much better.....but oh, man....

FUCK IT, I'M GOING FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hitler will kill a kitten if you do. Think of the children!

"C'mon Frank, be brave! Fraaank, be a man, goddamnit!"

(j/k) Have fun. Just don't crow too much or I shall taunt you a second time for being weak willed sissies.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 21-Oct-2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: cuz I said so!

United States
    done deal. never been a cat fan anyway.

and lemme just say this, 5 minutes in, and i'm a believer. the opening scene alone puts any shit romero's made in the last decade to shame.

United States
    done deal. never been a cat fan anyway.

and lemme just say this, 5 minutes in, and i'm a believer. the opening scene alone puts any shit romero's made in the last decade to shame.
    Baby Seal?

Puppy?

Insert random cute thing here?

NOOOOO TOO LATE!!!!!!

You just made this indian cry...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    My only criticism is the pilot was very long in terms of pacing, when thats really only a few pages from issue one with lots of filler. Side from that i was honestly expecting land of the dead: the series. There was no 'zombie sneaks up behind them silently' in fact theres a parody of it. the zombies aint runners OR shamblers, there darabonts own sort of...its hard to say. they remember things and will use there fists, but not in a big daddy way or bub way. The way there do it is much more unnerving. Like romero added too much emphasis, like you HAD to be impressed by this revaluation. In this is just another part of the growing unease from the walkers which seems to be a much more fitting term than zombie. they are walking dead. they don't shamble and moan or run full pelt or scream for brains theres a few subtle nuances that make them just feel a little different to the 'lets copy romero' blueprint in a way its really hard to put your finger on.

Basically it was good. There were many times i expected the cliche bits to show up, oh he walks through a dark room guess whats in there! -nothing. i even know theres no big attack from reading the comic, hell, from the trailers for the show, but still it doesnt follow cliche conventions people who make shitty romero knock offs for the low budget do and at times it wasnt scary but it was pretty damn creepy and i havent been unnerved by a zombie movie in years.

United States
    earlier i said that the opening scene was better than anything romero has done since day of the dead. after watching the pilot, i think i'm gonna change my tune: the walking dead just might end up being better than anything romero has ever done.

the pilot was brilliant. great set-up, character development, and reveal of just how fucked things would be if there ever was an outbreak of the living dead. i could go on and on, but since i don't want to give anything away and a picture is worth a thousand words, i'll just sum it up like this:

oh, and kidgloves: i think i know what part had you on the verge of tears....glad i'm not the only one.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 21-Oct-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: added image

United States

So...it was good for you then?
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 21-Oct-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: You figure it out!

United States
    ^

that's what she said!

United States
    ^

that's what she said!
    a wise man told me those never get old.

England
    Like a few others, I have DL'd it but have so far held off watching it...it's like some bizarre form of self torture...don't know how long I'm gonna last before breaking.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Although I said I wouldn't....I couldn't help but give in under pressure. HO-LY-FUCK. This show is going to be epic. Incredible pilot.

And whoever was given screener copy 407 is in a lot of trouble when AMC finds out.