Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paranormal Activity 2

Twitching

United States
    Ok,
    I apologize for the shaky-camera crack. I'm truly not one of those nitpicky haters on that style. If you're familiar with the Lost Tapes show on Animal Planet (the one that deals with cryptids and supernatural entities supposedly encountered by the camera-users, who generally get killed by the supernatural baddies.) I genuinely like that show. As for the Blair Witch, its not really my cup of tea, but I can see why some people enjoy it.

I guess my real problem with Paranormal Activity 1 & 2 is that the whole less-is-more style ends up feeling very dry and dull to me. Yes, no question it's more realistic than say, Poltergeist, but there isn't enough going on to hold my interest. Then, to top it off, the first one hit a pet peeve of mine. Maybe pet peeve isn't quite the word for it, but it'll have to do. I've always felt very uncomfortable when I've found myself a bystander to a nasty quarrel between a couple. Uncomfortable in such a way that I don't want to be aware of it anymore. Unless one of the pair is a friend of mine and either being victimized in some way by their partner, or the quarrel left them with a problem they choose to share with me as a friend, I want no part of it.

I guess you could give credit to the realism of the interactions between the couple in the first Paranormal Activity that their quarreling generated that same uncomfortable, want-to-look-away feeling in me. However, first and foremost a movie has to be enjoyable in some way, and between the discomfort of their fighting interspersed with cruel tit-for-tat snide remarks being exchanged, and the nebulous nature of the activity in their home, I was caught between the desire not to see anymore of their squabbling, and the boredom that stemmed from not being drawn in by the paranormal phenomena, the movie just didn't do it for me in any way. The capper was the way that even when what was going on had terrified the woman to the point she was frantic to reach out for help from someone who understood and could deal with the situation, her significant other dismissed her wishes and acted like a husband who fancies himself a handyman feeling threatened when the wife wanted to bring in a plumber, electrician etc. That just made me MAD.

Finally, I suspect that P.A 2 will suffer from the same sort of problem the Blair Witch sequel did. From the previews it seems like they've ramped up the ghostly activity somewhat, but despite being interested in a couple of A&E shows with much the same subject matter, I just can't see myself doing more than maybe watching it when it hits TV, or if my only local friend who still comes over has a copy of it on DVD.

I agree that stuff like SAW and Hostel lack redeeming qualities, but since very little "Horror" actually scares me, I look to the genre more as dark supernaturally-themed action. Bram Stoker's Dracula did a lot more for me than The Exorcism of Emily Rose, if that gives you an idea of my tastes. I often watch some of the cheesiest low-budget Direct-to-DVD or made for Sci-Fi Channel movies and enjoy many of them for what they are. I guess I'm just a philistine uninterested in much art in my horror movie viewing. Though I can and do appreciate well-made movies, excellent pacing, choreography and fitting music that serves to enhance the visual elements. I absolutely loved Avatar for many of those reasons, not least of which was the breathtaking visuals and organic-feeling of the movie.

I'm an odd creature though, and full of eccentricities. Certainly not educated in the realm of film, though I did get a lot out of the Movie version of Matheson's What Dreams May Come.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Area 51 was good...
    Eh? The old arcade light-gun game??? I didn't know there was a movie called that. FILL ME IN.

Undisclosed
    Didn't see this. Didn't see the first one either. Every time I think about watching a haunted house movie, I'm brought back to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96s1M8IyrUQ

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

That's such a legendary stand up show. Never fails to make me laugh.

It's been a while since I've seen the horrible first movie, but I think their excuse for staying in Paranormal Activity is that one of them just straight up doesn't believe the house is possessed. Which makes sense considering most of the "activity" is wind blowing, doors slamming, and covers being pulled off. Ugh...such a lame movie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It's been a while since I've seen the horrible first movie, but I think their excuse for staying in Paranormal Activity is that one of them just straight up doesn't believe the house is possessed. Which makes sense considering most of the "activity" is wind blowing, doors slamming, and covers being pulled off. Ugh...such a lame movie.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the original PA was lame. After wasting my time watching the first one (wife kinda forced me to watch it on dvd), there's no way in hell I'll even consider the 2nd. I waste enough of time time watching lame movies (ie: Sharktopus.. but hey, at least that had SOME entertainment value! )

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Eh? The old arcade light-gun game??? I didn't know there was a movie called that. FILL ME IN.
    Oh shoot, sorry, I meant District 9.
    I'm such a bimbo sometimes... God, why does everyone have to have a damn name!? They're so hard to remember!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just checked and the original film is available to watch for free via the netflix instant q if anyone is interested.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Twitching

United States
    Had a humbling revelatory experience this evening,
    So I will modify my statements about Paranormal Activity, and simply say I didn't personally care for it, but there's nothing "wrong" with the movie, and opinions do vary. Don't plan on watching PA 2, but again, just personal taste. I'd cite my recent dive back into Anime as an excuse, except I'm also pissed with Bleach atm. For my fellow Bleach-followers: Is anyone else SICK TO DEATH of Aizen being 10-steps-ahead of everything and everyone in Soul Society, to the point that not even lethal-to-use Forbidden Kido used by the Captain Commander is enough to even SCRATCH HIM?!?!

If ever there was a Mary Sue Villain, it would be Aizen from Bleach. Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack. In fact, will go start a thread about this elsewhere.

Anyways, got nothing against the first-person-view type movies. Just haven't really bumped into one that does it for me as yet.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Had a humbling revelatory experience this evening. So I will modify my statements about Paranormal Activity, and simply say I didn't personally care for it, but there's nothing "wrong" with the movie, and opinions do vary. Don't plan on watching PA 2, but again, just personal taste...
    ...Anyways, got nothing against the first-person-view type movies. Just haven't really bumped into one that does it for me as yet.
    Definitely not a genre for everyone, as you can tell by the divided opinions. From Blair Witch on, some people loved it, some hated it.