Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Star Wars trilogy?

Super Moderator

United States
    Give ma Zahn's trilogy with re-casted talent and Thrawn and I may just forgive you, George...but I won't forget!

Last edited by AcesandEights; 24-Oct-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: ...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    After I saw the atrocious Revenge of the Sith in cinemas I just abandoned Star Wars altogether. And I still have. Probably won't catch any new films in the cinemas and I won't care. Right now I'm holding out for the next Star Trek. Now there's a franchise that never fails me.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If other directors come in, I would be interested. Lucas just isn't a good director. He got lucky with the original film. The prequels were okay for what they were(Sith being the best), but we don't need any more of those toy adverts...

UK
    C'mon, what we all really want is a Holiday Special reboot...

Twitching

United States
    There's only one viable post-Return of the Jedi metaplot they could dial in on and have the slimmest chance of making work.
    The Yuuzhan Vong invasion of the reconstituted Republic. There isn't enough meat on the bone with the whole fragmented Imperial forces/Thrawn subplots etc. to justify a trilogy be based around them. The Yuuzhan Vong are the only threat "big enough" to have even a chance of recapturing the epic feel of the franchise, because without Epic Antagonists, you have no Epic Story.

Yes, yes, I'm aware there's ALL KINDS of complexity in the wake of Palpatine getting tossed down a deep shaft and Vader kicking the bucket. But do you REALLY want a trilogy that would be at least in part consumed by Luke-centric subplots as he struggles to reconstitute a new generation of Jedi, and then only after subplots full of emo B.S where he temporarily falls to the Dark Side but come back, all in the process of becoming a true Jedi Master?

Mark Hamil isn't equipped to be that involved and shoulder the burden of the entire new trilogy resting on his character. You need a plotline where enough time has passed to justify the now old surviving main-character-actors BEING OLD. By the time of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion Han and Leia have adult children. Given that Han was probably in his early thirties when he hooked up with the Rebels, and his late thirties by the time Palpatine was toast, having kids in their mid 20s would neatly explain Harrison Ford being in his mid 60s, yes?

As for how badly Mark Hamil has aged? Same time interval helps justify his age, plus all that struggling to become a Jedi Master and survive all the Force-related weirdness between Vader's death and now when he's rebuilt (sorta) the Jedi Order. Once you've dealt with the obvious aging of those two, dealing with Leia is easy, and you're home free with the rest, because everyone else is in major costume or animatronic.

Thoughts?

Ireland
    An unbelievable missed opportunity was executed with the prequels. They were a disaster of truly epic proprtions. They should have been the darkest entries into the Star Wars cannon, repleat with tragedy and dispair.

Instead, we ended up with a farce that's been dismissed as laughable by the vast majority of fans and non-fans alike. Honestly, if I had access to the money, effects, production values and everything else Lucas had at his disposal, I would have made three masterpieces and I'm DEAD serious about that.

So...if Lucas has fuck all to do with this, it may be ok. However, I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Unfortunately, 'Star Wars' died about half way through 'Return of the Jedi' for me and it was never re-animated.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    C'mon, what we all really want is a Holiday Special reboot...
    Only if Carrie sings.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    After I saw the atrocious Revenge of the Sith in cinemas I just abandoned Star Wars altogether. And I still have. Probably won't catch any new films in the cinemas and I won't care. Right now I'm holding out for the next Star Trek. Now there's a franchise that never fails me.
    I actually though Sith redeemed itself, but the 2 before were near death to me. Let them finish up strong, then reboot later and give us a much darker version. I wouldn't mind if it was done in animation, but more realistic than that one they put out, more like that Resident Evil one with Leon in it. I want blood, I want pain.
    I will say the New Trek was pretty dang sweet. They gotta (re)do it up with Khan, though. I mean really.
    Other than the reboot, I only like the original Trek. The rest is just too lame to me. I've tried, it just doesn't work for me.