Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Episode - Tell it to the frogs

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    It's interesting to note that the Shane losing it scene is something that's just happened in the comics but with different characters.
    I'm not up to the new issues, but the way he kept beating with that one hand reminded me of Rick's confrontation in the prison.

It definitely looked like he could have broken a few bones...
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Nov-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: .

Dying

United States
    To keep it somewhat vague and more or less spoiler free, Rick at one point beats the tar out of an abusive husband.

This episode was definitely stronger than the second one, although I have to admit that I'm not really all that intrigued with the Dixon storyline. It seems, I dunno, forced. This isn't just someone that loves the comics upset that it's not following the plot exactly; I love that the series is its own product. I just couldn't give less of a crap about Merle Dixon as a character.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Dixon's are B or C characters. Hell...maybe even D, so they don't bother me at all. They're not important really. Just filler.

Rick isn't going back for Merle. He's going back for the Jones' and the guns. The Jones' being the most important, I believe.
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Nov-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: ,

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The Dixon's are B or C characters. Hell...maybe even D, so they don't bother me at all. They're not important really. Just filler.

Rick isn't going back for Merle. He's going back for the Jones' and the guns. The Jones' being the most important, I believe.
    Yeah, I'm not TOO fussed about the "new" characters, even though they don't feel as well written, because I'm wondering if they arn't cannon fodder...

Dead

United States
    Personally, I don't think Shane lied to Lori just to get in her pants.
    He seems to be extremely focused on doing what needs to be done to survive.
    So I'm thinking he told her that because:
    a) He assumed it to be the truth himself(which I understand).
    b) He didn't want Lori to be stuck on whether or not Rick is alive because it would consume her and create a situation that would possibly put others at risk, namely himself and Carl.
    I also don't think Lori is at fault for what happened between her and Shane.
    She's a small woman with a young son.
    The world they now live in is unforgiving to say the least, and Shane is an alpha male.
    So being with SHane really improves the odds of her and Carl surviving because he'll put them first.
    This itself is encoded in the female DNA and goes back to the days before civilization when people were hunter-gatherers.
    Women are more domestic in that regard.
    And this is seemingly a theme within the series and can be seen in ep-3 when the women are washing clothes and asking each other why they're the ones stuck doing all the chores while the men stand around or play.
    That's seems to be the natural course of events with not only humans but animals too.
    Watch a show about lions and you'll observe the same behavior.
    Ricks reaction will initially be anger and betrayal but he's a thinking man so he should be able to see that and sort it out without any lasting effects on his relationship with his wife and best friend.
    It was actually a logical thing for Lori to do.
    Her and Shane would naturally form a bond after going through what they experienced.
    And humans have a tendency to manifest affection in a sexual way.
    Now, if they start sneaking away to be together, that changes everything.

Dying

United States
    They actually give a reason for the women doing the laundry in the comics. To make a long conversation short, they thought the men would just screw it up.

United States
    I haven't seen this episode yet, but even reading all the spoilers doesn't deter me from wanting to catch it tonight. After we saw the last one, and how it ended, my wife was like WTF?!?!?
    Pretty sure she's hooked on it now.

United States
    Just a quick note on Shane: his motives aren't pure. His leadership is flawed. He's got a dark side that he's been able to hide in polite society, that's starting to show now that there are no rules. And it's because he's human. "An' dats what make him so DANGEROUS you know..." . There's no mustache twirling villain going "mwaahahah!"

Just because we may come to dislike or downright DESPISE some of these characters, doesn't mean we can't understand them. They're just like us, our friends, our family & neighbors. How do you think all of them, or we ourselves, would change if it all went away? Easy to say everyone would show their nobler side, harder to believe.

History has shown time & again that human beings are capable of doing terrible things to each other with very little provocation, & this is WITHOUT zombies, or the end of the world.

Trust me, there are plenty of people who have a face that we never get to, or want to, see, that if it all came off the rails, would show in a big way.

England
    Aye ^^^^^^^

I'm warming to Shane a bit though (depending on how the escape from the hospital happened). He genuinely looked pleased to see Rick and his family back together. Great acting by everyone in this scene. Shanes obviously having mixed emotions at this point and we see how it all comes to a head later. I don't think Rick would hold it against Shane either. Goddamit. Tell us what happened at the hospital.
    BTW when was the last time we discussed characters in this depth in relation to anything to do with zombies?
    Last edited by kidgloves; 15-Nov-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Housekeeping
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Chasing Prey

Canada
    when shane saw his partner come back....it was a mix of shock that he was alive and "omg i was bangin his wife and now i dont wanan give that up'

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Aye ^^^^^^^

I'm warming to Shane a bit though...
    Just don't let him sneak up behind you in the woods. I'm just sayin'...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm not up to the new issues, but the way he kept beating with that one hand reminded me of Rick's confrontation in the prison.

It definitely looked like he could have broken a few bones...
    I saw Shane's over reaction to the situation him venting frustration over losing the woman he always coveted and lost, not a man snapping due to pressure or stress. He wanted to be hitting Rick, or at least needed a substitute.

He left his friend for dead so he could steal his woman, he is cold and calculating I feel as if his actions in episode three were not him losing it like Rick in the prison at all. Rather as I said the actions of an angry man venting anger and frustration.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    Personally, I don't think Shane lied to Lori just to get in her pants.
    He seems to be extremely focused on doing what needs to be done to survive.
    So I'm thinking he told her that because:
    a) He assumed it to be the truth himself(which I understand).
    b) He didn't want Lori to be stuck on whether or not Rick is alive because it would consume her and create a situation that would possibly put others at risk, namely himself and Carl.
    I also don't think Lori is at fault for what happened between her and Shane.
    She's a small woman with a young son.
    The world they now live in is unforgiving to say the least, and Shane is an alpha male.
    So being with SHane really improves the odds of her and Carl surviving because he'll put them first.
    This itself is encoded in the female DNA and goes back to the days before civilization when people were hunter-gatherers.
    Women are more domestic in that regard.
    And this is seemingly a theme within the series and can be seen in ep-3 when the women are washing clothes and asking each other why they're the ones stuck doing all the chores while the men stand around or play.
    That's seems to be the natural course of events with not only humans but animals too.
    Watch a show about lions and you'll observe the same behavior.
    Ricks reaction will initially be anger and betrayal but he's a thinking man so he should be able to see that and sort it out without any lasting effects on his relationship with his wife and best friend.
    It was actually a logical thing for Lori to do.
    Her and Shane would naturally form a bond after going through what they experienced.
    And humans have a tendency to manifest affection in a sexual way.
    Now, if they start sneaking away to be together, that changes everything.
    Not only that but it was a tool to show contrast, as you look later at who becomes their best marksman

Old world views, versus the new reality and the blurring of expected roles.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I saw Shane's over reaction to the situation him venting frustration over losing the woman he always coveted and lost, not a man snapping due to pressure or stress. He wanted to be hitting Rick, or at least needed a substitute.

He left his friend for dead so he could steal his woman, he is cold and calculating I feel as if his actions in episode three were not him losing it like Rick in the prison at all. Rather as I said the actions of an angry man venting anger and frustration
    I see where you're coming from, but aren't those both sides to the same coin? Rick was venting the anger and frustration of the girls' murders, and Shane was venting about losing Lori and control over the camp. Both are "freak out" moments, imo. Not that they're related in any real way, I just noticed that Shane kept hitting with the same hand.

Could be foreshadowing. Like Rick holding his hand on the roof of episode two. Or it could be absolutely nothing and I'm trying to read too much into it.
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Nov-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: .

Dying

United States
    Before everyone jumps on the "Shane is an ass" bandwagon, keep in mind that there's a completely different explanation for why Shane might have told Lori that Rick was dead. And it has nothing to do with lusting after his best friend's wife.

Say that they went to the hospital and retrieved Rick before fleeing to Atlanta. What then? Rick is in a coma; how are they supposed to care for him? Staying with Rick or being burdened with him would probably have been a death sentence for Shane, Lori, and Carl. Shane might have simply made the hard choice and chosen to protect the people that had the best chance of survival. The rest of it, stepping in as a father figure to Carl and getting into a relationship with Lori, could have simply come afterward.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    Before everyone jumps on the "Shane is an ass" bandwagon...
    Of course we don't yet know how exactly the show will play out, but I think most people feel he's an ass because of the character in the comics. What's to come.

They could change it all up for the show but so far he seems to be the same weak, power hungry, lusting-over-lori coward from the comics.
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Nov-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: .