Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More on a "Top Gun" sequel...

Administrator

England

More on a "Top Gun" sequel...

Question seems to be will Maverick be the main character or not...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47235
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I would have my ass in the theater on day one. How can anyone not like Top Gun?

Hopefully they don't bring Kelly McGillis back. She has not aged well.....

England
    Surely Maverick wont be a main character, he'd have been pensioned off as a fighter pilot by now! I think they should make it about the helicopter gunship pilots in Afghanistan over the past 7 years, there must be hundreds of stories waiting to be told on the things those guys have done, lets face it there has been no jet dogfights in the past 20 years outside of training!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Surely Maverick wont be a main character, he'd have been pensioned off as a fighter pilot by now! I think they should make it about the helicopter gunship pilots in Afghanistan over the past 7 years, there must be hundreds of stories waiting to be told on the things those guys have done, lets face it there has been no jet dogfights in the past 20 years outside of training!
    I thought the story would have him as a trainer... And there's no reason why that means he couldn't be the lead?

But somehow, having him as a supporting actor in the film would seem to offer more story line?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If Maverick does factor into the story of the sequel, I imagine he will be a teacher or one of the head hancho guys like Tom Skerritt and Michael Ironside in the first film.

I had heard about this sequel before and I seem to remember Tony Scott mentioning that he's interested in the technology of making unmanned flights possible. So a bunch of guys sitting at a monitor using controls? Doesn't seem very exciting...

United States
    The only important question that must be asked is:

Will Tom Skerritt be in it or not?

That will determine if I have any interest in seeing it or not as I could care less about any of the rest of the people in it.

Although, I am interested in which contemporary "rock" band will re-make "Highway to the Danger Zone" for a crappy re-make (Nickelback perhaps?).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    Cool, the big screen hasn't seen quality homoerotica since 300.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Cool, the big screen hasn't seen quality homoerotica since 300.

The volleyball scene IS pretty homoerotic. Except for poor goose. You've got the other three guys all greased up, showing off their defined muscular structures.....and goose wearing a t-shirt like "awww, man...". Goose really gets fucked over as a character....

Not directly related, but this talk of Top Gun reminded me of this little gem...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

Although, I am interested in which contemporary "rock" band will re-make "Highway to the Danger Zone" for a crappy re-make (Nickelback perhaps?).
    Ehhhh, you gotta bring Kenny Loggins back for one more annoying ass song. Or have some new group do a screamo version.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I would have my ass in the theater on day one. How can anyone not like Top Gun?
    Never seen it. I'd say it sucked, but that would mean I'd have to watch it first. I'm gonna go with my gut feeling on this one and just stick with saying I've never seen and probably won't.
    Not unless it is showing on Salma Hayek's ass, and then MAYBE.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Never seen it. I'd say it sucked, but that would mean I'd have to watch it first. I'm gonna go with my gut feeling on this one and just stick with saying I've never seen and probably won't.
    Not unless it is showing on Salma Hayek's ass, and then MAYBE.
    You just haven't felt the need. The need for speed.

Either that or you're just a really negative person to be judging things without any basis for comparison.

And Kenny Loggins has written some classic soundtracks.

Super Moderator

United States
    You just haven't felt the need. The need for speed.

Either that or you're just a really negative person to be judging things without any basis for comparison.

And Kenny Loggins has written some classic soundtracks.
    To be honest, I think the classic Top Gun (as beautifully cheesy, as it is) might be a hard sell on a lot of adults who don't have fond memories attached to seeing it as a child.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    To be honest, I think the classic Top Gun (as beautifully cheesy, as it is) might be a hard sell on a lot of adults who don't have fond memories attached to seeing it as a child.
    Yeah, I figured that. Just busting his balls.

Although i've never met a man that didn't like Top Gun. It's like Die Hard. It's in our genes.

United States
    agreed on that. I'd be more open to a Porky's sequel to be honest. I will give this a chance due to Bassman's over generalization of my movie viewing (lack) of prowess. I think if he gave me a chitchat, he'd find I'm of a like mind, with a few differences. to me, top gun is like watching NASCAR, troo, i'm not interested in it, but if the story is the bomb, then I'm in for the duration. I will seee this and give it an honest opinion. I will say that before I see it, I will find it VERY basic. I gave like a 30 minute reply b4 that was much more intelligent but somehow it got lost. Personally STAR WARS gave a jumping off point that Top Gun could never hope to achieve... Review coming soon.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Although i've never met a man that didn't like Top Gun. It's like Die Hard. It's in our genes.
    *raises hand*

can't stand that movie, can't stand most of the actors in it, can't stand the characters, can't stand the overblown nature of the story. in short: i really do not like that film at all.

with very few exceptions, i am NOT a fan of the action genre.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    with very few exceptions, i am NOT a fan of the action genre.
    Mike, be honest, those few exceptions include Action Jackson, Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins and Gymkata.

Don't they?
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 28-Oct-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: ...