Thread: Compressor acting like a POS!!!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Compressor acting like a POS!!!

I've never had any problems with compressor. Out of nowhere it has decided to start quitting unexpectedly ANY time I try to submit. I have done countless un-installs/re-installs as well as following Apple's "fix" for it (which didn't fix a damn thing). Has anybody had this problem and how did they fix it?

If not, could somebody please point me to another program that can do the same exact thing as compressor? This is really handicapping my work...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    What do you need to do exactly? Just encoding movies?

You can use Adobe After Effects which I know you have - that has all the codecs your machine has installed and should be able to dish out something.
    If not, there's a program called Sorenson Squeeze but not sure if there's a mac version - it's an awesome prog though, and will certainly encode media to whatever specification you need.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well, I'm not positive but I don't think AE allows you to really fine-tune your export settings the way Compressor does.

There are two BIG things I use[d] Compressor for: compress HD files down so they can fit on an SD DVD and still retain amazing quality and also compress the same HD files down so they are smaller for Vimeo. Not being able to do either of these things is killing me.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Sorenson Squeeze is the way to go bro!

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

ALso, I dunno much about this but heard a bit at work about a prog called Adobe Encode - basically you can tell it what file size you'd like it to be and it'll compress it to that spec - it's much better than sorenson apparently...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You've used Sorenson? Is it able to make HD footage look near-HD on an SD DVD, like Compressor/DVD Studio Pro can?

Undisclosed
    Compressor is really the way to go... Unfortunately I have no info on your problem... Try creating a preset and the create a droplet.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've already tried both of those and neither have worked, thanks though.

This wouldn't be so bad if there were another program that could create an SD DVD from HD footage without losing much quality, the way Compressor & DVD SP can.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Time to go back to PC
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I've already tried both of those and neither have worked, thanks though.

This wouldn't be so bad if there were another program that could create an SD DVD from HD footage without losing much quality, the way Compressor & DVD SP can.
    So you created a droplet? It will work without the full program running... Put the droplet on you desktop and drag the video over it.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    So you created a droplet? It will work without the full program running... Put the droplet on you desktop and drag the video over it.
    Hm, I didn't know you could put the droplet on the desktop and do that...

Will be trying it first thing in the morning! Fingers are crossed! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Ugh, nope, doesn't work. Created a droplet on the desktop. Drag and drop the movie file onto it. It flashes a small box for about .03 seconds then nothing happens. Not even an error dialogue box. This SUCKS!!!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    You've used Sorenson? Is it able to make HD footage look near-HD on an SD DVD, like Compressor/DVD Studio Pro can?
    yeah definitely but you'll need to play around with it quite a bit - its very modifiable though so I can definitely recommend it. It does HQ and large version of every format - and you can specifiy the bitrates and size and basically everything from the audio to the video codecs etc etc...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Finally! I can use Compressor again. Something's messed up in my user files, I suppose. A buddy told me to create a new user and try it under that. Worked flawlessly.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 05-Nov-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: h

Undisclosed
    Glad you got it working - it can be a bit buggy. BTW - if you run into that trouble again, there is also MPEG-Streamclip - which is free and GREAT for compressing files. I use it all the time for television work.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thanks, PJ. I'll keep that in mind.