Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to ask you guys and gals a question.

Twitching

United States

Want to ask you guys and gals a question.

Hey,
    I apologize in advance if this is self-centered or overly sensitive or what have you, but I've noticed something that's beginning to look (at least to me) like a pattern. So, I thought I'd just go to the heart of the matter and ask my peers.

Do I have a tendency to be overly serious/overly analytical in my replies to various threads, and do you think I tend to cause threads to stall out/lose steam?

Honest answer, and no, this isn't one of those times when someone SAYS they want the truth, but they really want an answer that'll go down easy with a candy-coating. Do I kill threads by treating the hypotheticals and various scenarios people bring up very seriously?

The reason I ask isn't really for me. If it was, it would have no business appearing on/in this forum. I want to know if I'm inadvertently being a buzz-kill in people's threads, but in such a way that people don't choose to call me out on it.

If I am, I'd REALLY, REALLY appreciate someone letting me know. I know I can be overly grim and serious at times, but I deeply value the debates, conversations and idle speculation (and yes, the macabre humor) participating here provides. If I'm screwing with that, I want to know so I can shut my trap more often and just go with the flow.

Again, apologies. I'm asking you good folks to take time out of your day to deal with what, at best, is me being an insecure prat, and at worst confirming I'm a know-it-all, pedantic would-be demagogue. Would be great if you'd humor me this once, but regardless, you have my word there won't be any more of these borderline-emo threads outta me.

Thanks.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I thought the same thing about myself ages ago!

The short answer is "no, you're fine" - I won't lie and say I've enjoyed reading every one of your posts (some of them I have majorly disagreed with) but without those posts I don't think the board would be the same - in fact I know it wouldn't - you represent a certain demographic here (whatever it may be) so I for one can confidently say I've never felt negatively about your contribution to the board whatsoever. Which is the same way I feel about everyone here, even if, with some people, I have really conficting outlooks with - ultimatey it's what colours the board a nice shade of putrified green
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, I definitely think you have a tendency to analyze things, though I wouldn't necessarily say over analyze. That said, in this case, I think you may be over analyzing the responses or lack thereof to some of your posts, which I think I've seen you do a few times before.

Honestly, all threads peter out eventually, some before they even get going. In a similar vein, I tried to explain to someone not too long ago who was upset his post wasn't getting a response and, honestly, some just don't (most of the threads I start don't get any).

It really isn't a big deal. This is more a place to relax and not stress about stuff and the more you relax about things, the more people will feel at ease responding to you.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 29-Oct-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: ...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I think everyone feels this way at one point in time or another. I felt like that here when I first came here 'cause it seemed like I was always the last reply to a thread then no more replies - the thread would just die and I figured it was because of me. I was worried I was a threadkiller or people were thinking, "screw this Lou dude - all he wants is fridays, bacon and redheads, we'll ignore him" but I think it was just coincidence.

I pretty much agreee with SymphonicX had to say - no one agrees all the time, but I've never read a thread that I thought "wow, Wyldwraith is a nutbag!"

In other words, you're good man, you're good.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I was worried I was a threadkiller or people were thinking, "screw this Lou dude - all he wants is fridays, bacon and redheads, we'll ignore him" .
    Wait a sec...who DOESN'T think this about Lou?!

To be honest Lou, and not to threadjack, but...for the longest time before you started posting regularly I only knew you as an occasional poster who Gary kept trying to coax into posting more often. DJ would always be like: "I told Lou he should have posted this, but..."

So I was like: "Who is this Lou guy and why doesn't he want to post here?"
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 29-Oct-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: ...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Wyld,

Yes you analyze the shit out of things. And it's a GOOD thing. There are too many asinine comments around here from a few folks that don't like to think about different perspectives/thoughts. You always put a great deal of meat and potatoes into your posts, and I dig it. Honestly, you're the one poster here that I enjoy reading your posts more so than anyone else (not to say I don't dig a few other folks posts greatly too, you're just my favorite) -- because generally most others will just stick with a one sentence post/reply to something that should certainly be thought out more. Critical thinking is a dying skill, unfortunately, so I cherish it when I see it.

Of course I'm down to about 15 brain cells that still remain from my drunk nature, so when they're gone my occasional critical thinking will probably be gone too.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Wait a sec...who DOESN'T think this about Lou?!
    touche'

To be honest Lou, and not to threadjack, but...for the longest time before you started posting regularly I only knew you as an occasional poster who Gary kept trying to coax into posting more often. DJ would always be like: "I told Lou he should have posted this, but..."

So I was like: "Who is this Lou guy and why doesn't he want to post here?"
    Not to threadjack or to turn this to be about me, but it kinda goes along with the conversation in a weird, skewed kinda way:

Like many "new" posters, I usually don't just jump right into the fire from the frying pan. I like to "feel out" a message board before I get involved, only because I can sometimes be an opinionated asshole (please refer to my sig) and can turn people off if I'm not careful - but I try to make it all in good fun, which I think everyone else does too, minus a few people who take themselves way too seriously (wyld, that's not directed at you by any means!). Sometimes a community is so tight-knit that when new people do jump in a conversation, it halts that conversation in its tracks. It's a weird, tricky line to walk.

Everyone at times can feel sorta out of place and feel like a "threadkiller" - I do it all the time. Shit happens, and even the people I don't get along with or don't agree with, they do have valid opinions. I may not agree with them, and I may not post because I don't agree and don't want to stir a bunch of shit, that's all.

In conclusion, wyld, we'd miss it if you weren't posting, so keep it up and don't overanylize this too much. It's all good.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'll let you know as soon as I finish reading your post wyld.

For the record though i Like your posts just fine and feel you add alot to discussions.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I don't think you have any reason to worry about how you post stuff. I've read a lot of what you've posted, and it's all very well thought out, and considered. Analyzed? Yes. Over-analyzed? I don't think so. As for people's reactions to what you post, don't worry about it. When I start a thread, I'm lucky if it ever goes above five replies, and yours just did within a day, so, yeah... nothing to worry about! Just keep on being you, because that's what makes you great!
    That said... why doesn't anyone like my threads?

United States
    Wyld I have never thought that there was anything wrong with your posts or you. I too have felt like my posts cause folks to want to abandon the thread, but apparently this is not exclusive to you or me.

As far as I am concerned your posts, though I may not always agree with the content, are well written and a welcome addition to the many voices that make HPOTD an awesome place to chill and chat.

Besides, as has already been pointed out we do not necessarily have to agree 100% all of the time to be friends- shit, if we did then this place would become stale and the content of the posts irrelevant.

Peace, brother!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    But so what if it's over analyzed? Isn't that what we do here? Pick apart the minutia of various films, scenarios and events?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's all good. I quite like most of your posts. Some are a bit too long for my tastes, but I enjoy what I read of them anyway.

And I just want to point out that I don't get the whole "kill thread/no response" thing. I've heard quite a few people around here say the same thing. Threads just die. Just because your post was the last doesn't mean it was your fault. Same thing with making a thread that nobody responds to. It doesn't mean anything really. Hell...I've made countless threads that nobody has responded in. Doesn't hurt my feelings and damn well shouldn't hurt anyone else's.

As I always say....it's a friggin message board. I come here to escape the bullshit of everyday life and have a laugh with some cool amigos. No reason to take things too seriously.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Agreed bass.

I've also started threads no one has answered and imo, it means either there's no interest in the subject or there are no meaningful contributions that anyone wants to add.

What's better no answers or smart ass ones?

Either way I don't take it personally and neither should anyone else.

United States
    wyld, in the wise words of arnold, CHILL.

most everybody here gets overly-wordy at times. hell, i go on epic rants about shitty video games and how much i despise the entertainment industry in general, others go on at great lengths about other trivial things, it's just what we do around here.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    wyld, in the wise words of arnold, CHILL.

most everybody here gets overly-wordy at times. hell, i go on epic rants about shitty video games and how much i despise the entertainment industry in general, others go on at great lengths about other trivial things, it's just what we do around here.
    Exactly. If you're passionate about something be passionate about it. Nothing wrong with that. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Aren't free societies great?