Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny Games: Worst Movie I've Seen In Some Time

Twitching

United States

Funny Games: Worst Movie I've Seen In Some Time

Hey,
    So it's late and I flip on AMC to catch the last horror movie before it goes to infomercials, and what do I find? Funny Games. Bad enough that it does an absolutely awful job of ripping off a decent psycho-killer movie like Natural Born Killers, but it caps off its idiocy when, after Ann (one of the murderers victims) manages to snatch the shotgun and kill one of the murderers, the other rummages for the TV remote, finds it, then calmly rewinds events to before she shot his accomplice, then stops her when she goes for the gun and kills her husband.

The entire movie has the plot integrity of an iteration of Hostel, and I cannot recall the last time a movie fundamentally irritated me this much by its very existence. I literally want to take a golf club and beat everyone responsible for this travesty's creation to death.

Yup, Funny Games, bumps a movie off my Bottom 10 Worst Movies list to take its place.

/rant over.

Super Moderator

UK
    Was it the original or the remake (by the same director)?

I found it to have some things that were good, but generally it felt preachy ... it was supposed to be some sort of "ooh, you, you sick audience, wanting to see this violence, shame on you" sorta thing, a comment on society or whatever ... but it was just preachy. And you know what, it's far better to be watching a violent movie (and being fully aware and supportive of that fact) than actually carrying out violent acts in real life - so fuck you Funny Games.

I saw the remake version by the way, but apparently it's pretty much exactly the same just with Tim Roth and the blonde chick from King Kong.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree, Wyld. I couldn't stand that movie. I remember talking about it around here and people were giving me the "Oh you just didn't get it" bullshit. "Its a statement on society" or some shit like that. The movie was a waste of ninety minutes of my life. Pure and simple.

At least I was able to look at the fine Naomi Watts, though. I'm assuming you're talking about the remake. Although I hear they're both basically the same film, shot-for-shot.

United Kingdom
    Yes, a pile of poo that film is. I saw the one with Tim Roth in, and every character just annoyed the shit out of me.
    Kill 'em All

United States
    Eh, personally I thought the remake (haven't seen the original) was a very good thriller. But then again, I have VASTLY different tastes in movies than a lot of folks around here.

Naomi Watts is third in line after Winona Ryder and Maggie Gyllenhaal as far as celebrity crushes. She has a tight, tight body and I'd love just to bend her over and.... err, ahem, never mind. On a side note, if "Dawn" was to ever be re-made (seriously re-made that is, not the '04 thing) then Naomi Watts would be my first casting choice for Frannie.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    The origional has one of the most powerful shots in any thriller film, not spoiling it for those who ain't seen it but the choice about the thing with the person and the smash cut to one long agonizing shot was brilliant.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Eh, personally I thought the remake (haven't seen the original) was a very good thriller. But then again, I have VASTLY different tastes in movies than a lot of folks around here.

Naomi Watts is third in line after Winona Ryder and Maggie Gyllenhaal as far as celebrity crushes. She has a tight, tight body and I'd love just to bend her over and.... err, ahem, never mind. On a side note, if "Dawn" was to ever be re-made (seriously re-made that is, not the '04 thing) then Naomi Watts would be my first casting choice for Frannie.

j.p.
    maggie gyllenhall? the chick from The Dark Knight? Really? oh dear
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'll back up JD on that. I know she doesn't have the typical good looks, but there's something about her...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    She is a troll. She actually lurks under bridges and asks travellers riddles before devouring them. She is neither hot nor classically beautiful or even cute in a freaky kinda way. She looks like someone baked forest whitaker in an oven then bleached him.
    Last edited by Danny; 30-Oct-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: bhkkn

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    She is a troll. She actually lurks under bridges and asks travellers riddles before devouring them. She is neither hot nor classically beautiful or even cute in a freaky kinda way. She looks like someone baked forest whitaker in an oven then bleached him.
    Jesus
    Kill 'em All

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

United States
    I don't have to defend my love for Winona, Maggie, or Naomi to any of you! (look of spoiled child on my face being defiant).

I'll have my celebrity crushes on whichever actresses I want. So there!

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Hurm. Winona yea, back in the day, now...ehhhh...not bad...Naomi yeah, pretty hot....Maggie?!? She's...pretty...ish...she just always looks so TIRED & WORN OUT. Like a waitress that just finished a double shift at the Waffle House. The whole time she was on screen in Dark Knight I was literally distracted thinking "dear, go lie down & TAKE A REST!!!"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Hurm. Winona yea, back in the day, now...ehhhh...not bad...Naomi yeah, pretty hot....Maggie?!? She's...pretty...ish...she just always looks so TIRED & WORN OUT. Like a waitress that just finished a double shift at the Waffle House. The whole time she was on screen in Dark Knight I was literally distracted thinking "dear, go lie down & TAKE A REST!!!"

spot on, tired, like a female bill murray, like everytime she sits down she makes a whoopie cusion noise.

United States
    Plus I was thinking: "Bruce Wayne is chasing THIS chick around?!?! Uh, guys, Christian Bale is actually PRETTIER THAT SHE IS!!!!"