Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: George Romero who??? Darabont the new KING of zombies

United States
    but, unlike romero's shitty new films, we won't have the pez-head priest, cheezy defibrillator kills, fire-extinguisher gags, etc.

i can stand cgi as long as it's somewhat realistic and not used for absolutely ridiculous crap like the above examples.

and my initial assessment of the pilot still stands, here's what i posted in the thread from a week or so ago when it was leaked online:

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    earlier i said that the opening scene was better than anything romero has done since day of the dead. after watching the pilot, i think i'm gonna change my tune: the walking dead just might end up being better than anything romero has ever done.

the pilot was brilliant. great set-up, character development, and reveal of just how fucked things would be if there ever was an outbreak of the living dead. i could go on and on, but since i don't want to give anything away and a picture is worth a thousand words, i'll just sum it up like this:

oh, and kidgloves: i think i know what part had you on the verge of tears....glad i'm not the only one.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The CGI blood is there, but it's not quite as obvious as some of the latest flicks. Especially Land. There's a few CG blood shots in there that make me gringe.

It's funny that the CG looks better in a TV show than it did in a feature film..

Undisclosed
    Still not gory enough for my taste, but so far the series, itself, is not bad.

Dying

United States
    It was a fantastic premier episode, no doubt about that. Probably in my top three (right up there with Dexter and Heroes). I don't know if it's fair to say that it's superior to everything that Romero has ever done, though. Anyone that reads The Walking Dead comics knows that a lot (and I mean a LOT) of it is pulled from ideas that Romero pioneered ten/twenty/thirty/six hundred forty-three years ago when it comes to the zombie aspect.

But something else that anyone who reads The Walking Dead should know is that it's not the horror aspects that make the series fantastic, it's the human elements. The relationships between the characters, how they grow and change due to the environment they've been placed in, etc. I'd almost say it's more of a fair comparison to judge The Walking Dead against shows like Lost or Mad Men than against Romero's work. There's only so much that you can shove into a two hour movie and still have a major payoff at the end; The Walking Dead can afford to go for a more paced approach that delves into the characters more because of its format.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    It was a fantastic premier episode, no doubt about that. Probably in my top three (right up there with Dexter and Heroes). I don't know if it's fair to say that it's superior to everything that Romero has ever done, though. Anyone that reads The Walking Dead comics knows that a lot (and I mean a LOT) of it is pulled from ideas that Romero pioneered ten/twenty/thirty/six hundred forty-three years ago when it comes to the zombie aspect.
    I'm fairly certain that DJ was meaning Romero's latest offerings. Land, Diary, and Survival.

Dying

United States
    Well, if that's the case, then no offense to Mr. Romero but I've gotten more enjoyment out of Geiko advertisements than the new stuff. Stuff like 28 Days/28 Weeks Later and [REC], while not strictly zombie movies, dethroned him way before The Walking Dead could have.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    but, unlike romero's shitty new films, we won't have the pez-head priest, cheezy defibrillator kills, fire-extinguisher gags, etc.

i can stand cgi as long as it's somewhat realistic and not used for absolutely ridiculous crap like the above examples.

and my initial assessment of the pilot still stands, here's what i posted in the thread from a week or so ago when it was leaked online:
    yeah you can stand cgi blood if itīs in a grade A tv series. your assesment itīs your opinion. For me itīs clear that the inicial escene of land o f the dead itīs far away of all the 2000īs zombie movies and so on. even this pilot. thereīs a diference on a well directed secuence and a diferent and fresh zombie story.Land and survival are these.

United States
    something is lost in translation there. i see your location so i'm not gonna hold this against what you've just said, but i really don't understand what the hell you're trying to say.

i was saying cgi blood is one thing, cgi gags like romero's latest shit is another.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjacktorrance View Post
    yeah, i know. i read the comics. and i assure you that the comics keep taking ideas of the 6 romero zombie flicks and otheres expanding it.
    I think you missed one thing at the end of that last sentance, SJT: "...and making it better"

also the ongoing series will keep the same shitty CGI blood that makes romero fans angry in his lastets filcks.
    Looked a lot better than what I've seen in Land/Diary/Survival, that's for sure.

i assure you that survival has more real headshots than this first pilot.
    Perhaps so, but overall, survival was a complete piece of garbage compared to just one episode of TWD.

Bottom line: Darabont got it right. to the man.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 01-Nov-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Because I FUCKING FELT LIKE IT

United States
    it's all a matter of opinion, but i gotta concur with lou that even the weakest episode of TWD will stand head and shoulders above land or any other new romero films.

and as for TWD series in whole, i think it's gonna be better than any romero film.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    HOLY SHIT. That was incredible. I don't know if there has ever been a show so incredible.

Also, PLEASE people, start giving Kirkman some credit. It's not like Darabont pulled this stuff out of thin air.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm fairly certain that DJ was meaning Romero's latest offerings. Land, Diary, and Survival.
    btw: I meant to add, I'm not so sure of that, bassman.. lets see what he says when he gets back in here, but from what it sounded like when I talked to him about TWD, he might've meant more than the last 3 movies....
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 01-Nov-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: fuck reasons

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Ok i get Romero started it all, but Darabont has now shown us a great zombie world. 40 minutes in and I can even say in words how friggin impressed I am with this show so far. This is just outstanding stuff and of course credit has to go to the source material, but goddamn this is great stuff and Romero needs to take notes on this for future projects.
    You know a year or 2 ago i would have dissagreed with you but, after last nights premeire your right!

I just posted a thread last week on how i ignored Survival of the dead for sale and bought a double pack of the 28 days later movies!

Havn't even seen Survival and for the first time ever...dont really care to! "sorry GAR"

Of course the original Dawn has yet to be topped.....but he's lost it since Land that was one thing but the garbage that followed after really made me chuck!
    Last edited by DEAD BEAT; 01-Nov-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: forgot something
    I SMELL SOME POO...

England
    Try not to compare this with Uncle George's later work and there is no need to slate the man either.
    I do think some people are still stuck in the past though and stubbornly refuse to accept that time has moved on. These same people see it as blasphemy to even like other directors work because the genre "is GAR's". There is a whole lot going on in this series that is far superior to any recent zombie movie from direction to writing to acting. Shit, even the choice to have silence in long sections of the pilot is inspired. Its all about the atmosphere and "zombie sandbox" that Darabont likes to call his take. TWD shows the utmost respect to the Romero movies but expands it. Whats not to like.

And i wish people would stop banging on about "we've seen it all before" or "nothing new". Thats because its been done to death and there's not really much more to this genre than the world ends and people try to survive. Its how this is presented to the audience that matters.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    btw: I meant to add, I'm not so sure of that, bassman.. lets see what he says when he gets back in here, but from what it sounded like when I talked to him about TWD, he might've meant more than the last 3 movies....
    Wow. If that's the case....I'll be shocked. Very shocked.

"nothing new" - when you try to add too much new stuff you come out with velociraptors, howling revolutions, and horseback riding.

I've heard from a few people that the comics really change it up further down the line, so we'll see if the show does the same. Some changes that I'm not so sure should be included.....