Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: George Romero who??? Darabont the new KING of zombies

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    HOLY SHIT. That was incredible. I don't know if there has ever been a show so incredible.

Also, PLEASE people, start giving Kirkman some credit. It's not like Darabont pulled this stuff out of thin air.
    Certainly was, but let's not judge it too quickly yet, as series tend to lose steam or get redundant a season or 2 in.

I think it would be more fair to judge it against gar's work once this whole season is done and then go from there.

Gar's films are complete works. One episode of TWD no matter how stellar it is, is not and therefore it's not fair or appropriate to compare the 2.

Yet.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Certainly was, but let's not judge it too quickly yet, as series tend to lose steam or get redundant a season or 2 in.

I think it would be more fair to judge it against gar's work once this whole season is done and then go from there.

Gar's films are complete works. One episode of TWD no matter how stellar it is, is not and therefore it's not fair or appropriate to compare the 2.

Yet.
    Well, at least we're off to a good start.

TWD was what, 90 minutes? Which means it was really an hour's worth of material. Considering GAR's latest 3 films were less than 2 hours long, I think we can certainly assert one thing: this episode of TWD was fantastic, and better than anything GAR has done since Day. We don't need a whole season to tell us that.

Even if the rest of TWD sucks balls, Darbont already trumped GAR's last 3 films in every way possible... in one episode.

That says a lot, my friend.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 01-Nov-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: because I fucking felt like it

United States
    ...let's not judge it too quickly yet, as series tend to lose steam or get redundant a season or 2 in.
    i don't think that's gonna be the case here. fans of the comic know that some very interesting characters and events are in store for rick and the other survivors in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    And i wish people would stop banging on about "we've seen it all before" or "nothing new". Thats because its been done to death and there's not really much more to this genre than the world ends and people try to survive. Its how this is presented to the audience that matters.
    correct. if this argument about TWD ripping everything off of GAR is true, then romero himself ripped off TWD because of the RV surviors of TWD use.....he clearly stole that idea for diary, right?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Knowing whats to come from being a longtime reader of the comic book i can safely say at least half of you will get your MAD on and say "man fuck this preachy shit" after a while. Trust me, we will see many a poster on here change there tune.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As long as they continue being true to the story, then there's no way for it to get redundant.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i don't think that's gonna be the case here. fans of the comic know that some very interesting characters and events are in store for rick and the other survivors in the future.

correct. if this argument about TWD ripping everything off of GAR is true, then romero himself ripped off TWD because of the RV surviors of TWD use.....he clearly stole that idea for diary, right?
    rv survivors? i donīt get it.what idea?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm not gonna play mr macho. I've seen the pilot four times now and it chokes me up every single time.

This isn't just a zombie show, folks. This is drama at it's finest...
    Believe me, you aren't the only one who choked a bit...that scene was aimed straight at the heart. Brilliant.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    there was an RV in the background during the pilot of TWD when it showed lori, carl, shane, and the rest of their survivors. this RV becomes an important part of the story later.

i was joking that since it was in TWD (comics) long before diary came out, perhaps romero ripped this idea off from kirkman, since the argument was made earlier that most of TWD is a rip-off of romero's work.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    As long as they continue being true to the story, then there's no way for it to get redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Well, at least we're off to a good start.

TWD was what, 90 minutes? Which means it was really an hour's worth of material. Considering GAR's latest 3 films were less than 2 hours long, I think we can certainly assert one thing: this episode of TWD was fantastic, and better than anything GAR has done since Day. We don't need a whole season to tell us that.

Even if the rest of TWD sucks balls, Darbont already trumped GAR's last 3 films in every way possible... in one episode.

That says a lot, my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    Just saying that one of Gar's films is a complete work. One episode of TWD, not saying if it's better or not, is an unfinished idea. It would probably take about six episodes to complete a story ark while Dawn for example does it in two hours.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that TWD is like a nuclear weapon and GAr's last 3 offerings, to use sarge's word's, are rusty pea shooters by comparison.

Somebody should be taking notes.

Last edited by darth los; 01-Nov-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    lol may i add that it would have been extra killer if before the series premiere they had show the original Dawn rather than the remake!

(now time to vent) That was lame they should have showed the original and give GAR a little kudos, seems to me they want to leave him in the past along with his movies!

This genre is almost turning into Anna Nicole Smith baby situation, a couple of lops see something that is gonna bring them lots of money so they pretend like they give a shit about it!

Meaning that after they have anal raped the genre long enough till it isnt good anymore then leach onto the next victim, and GAR and true fans are left with a gapping canyon of a corn hole!

Anyone think im lieing here? If so where was Universal pictures back in the day when GAR was desperatly looking for distributing for the original Dawn?

Almost 30yrs later these blood suckers after GAR has proven himself and an audience for the genre,
    "oh of course we'll finance the film Georgie!" I wouldn't doubt if they were part to blame for Lands flop!
    Last edited by DEAD BEAT; 01-Nov-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: ?
    I SMELL SOME POO...

United States
    Just saying that one of Gar's films is a complete work. One episode of TWD, not saying if it's better or not, is an unfinished idea.
    Unfinished idea?! The only unfinished ideas I have seen lately are Land, Diary or Survival.

"Unfinished idea" or not, that one epsiode is better than those three films combined. They could cancel TWD right now, and I would still stand behind that statement - and no further episodes are needed to confirm it's greatness.

The good news is, we are getting more episodes. Even if those new episodes aren't up to the caliber of the first, bottom line is, Darabont has gone the direction GAR should've years ago.

I agree about TWD being nuclear - I couldn't have said it better myself, darth.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 01-Nov-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I don't need a fucking reason

England
    TWD was always an "unfinished idea" anyway was it not? "an ongoing story of survival horror". I don't think this is like a JMS series with a start a middle and an ending.

Anyways, unfinished idea or not, I enjoyed episode #1 more than "Land" and "Diary" put together...still not been motivated enough to lay out money on the "Survival" BD.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    lol may i add that it would have been extra killer if before the series premiere they had show the original Dawn rather than the remake!
    They probably didn't because they thought the remake would appeal more to mordern folks.......that and maybe, Rubstein was a dick and didn't let them...since, he owns the rights and all.

As, for Walking Dead....... I liked it! Was a bit slow, but I guess thats the standard pace for a series as they have more than 2 hrs to develop a story. Great visuals and backdrops.

England
    I thought it was quite clever to have the very first scene being a zombie killing...just so folks didn't tune in and think it was "just another cop show"...they really set their stall out by headshotting a little zombie kid - "this is what this show is going to be about" - sort of thing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Unfinished idea?! The only unfinished ideas I have seen lately are Land, Diary or Survival.

"Unfinished idea" or not, that one epsiode is better than those three films combined. They could cancel TWD right now, and I would still stand behind that statement - and no further episodes are needed to confirm it's greatness.

The good news is, we are getting more episodes. Even if those new episodes aren't up to the caliber of the first, bottom line is, Darabont has gone the direction GAR should've years ago.

I agree about TWD being nuclear - I couldn't have said it better myself, darth.
    It will be very interesting how the series ends up turning out.

My hopes are high that if it's a critically acclaimed show that it will garner a renewed interest in the genre and serious, good films will start to be made again. That there is more than a niche' market out there for that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    TWD was always an "unfinished idea" anyway was it not? "an ongoing story of survival horror". I don't think this is like a JMS series with a start a middle and an ending.

Anyways, unfinished idea or not, I enjoyed episode #1 more than "Land" and "Diary" put together...still not been motivated enough to lay out money on the "Survival" BD.
    Why do that when I can watch it on my ps3 Netflix service for free and in HD no less? I'll wait for the bargain bin to snatch that one up thank you very much.