Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratings hit!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    9.27 Million for 304 "Killer Within".

After 304, i'm betting next week's number will be over 10.5 again....

Super Moderator

UK
    The viewing habits of the wider public seem really strange due to how the numbers fluctuate. They also seem to miss some of the best episodes and then tune in for ones that, while good, are a bit lower in coolness than the previous week ... if that makes sense. There must be some people out there who are just watching random episodes ... and if there are, I hope they aren't breeding, because clearly they're insane if they're only watching some episodes of a quality drama series.

An extreme version of that would be something I read online somewhere - there was this guy who didn't like Breaking Bad - he'd only watched a couple of episodes from season one, then a random episode from season four, and then a random episode from season five, and shockingly, he couldn't understand why people dug the show. Well gee, maybe that's because you're watching it like a nutter.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Nov-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ Someone told me the same thing about Breaking Bad once. I tried explaining that you have to see it from the beginning so you can see the evolution of the characters, but he just didn't get it. I told him it's not an anthology like Twilight Zone where you can watch any episode and move on, but he said he didn't want to feel "held hostage" by a TV show.

I don't get it. I just don't get it. It's like people that come into the room when you're in the last act of a movie and then expect you to "catch them up". I can't stand that crap...

Anyway....hooray for TWD! Although not officially confirmed, we know season four has a green light. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got a green light for several more seasons at this point....

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ^ Someone told me the same thing about Breaking Bad once. I tried explaining that you have to see it from the beginning so you can see the evolution of the characters, but he just didn't get it. I told him it's not an anthology like Twilight Zone where you can watch any episode and move on, but he said he didn't want to feel "held hostage" by a TV show.

I don't get it. I just don't get it. It's like people that come into the room when you're in the last act of a movie and then expect you to "catch them up". I can't stand that crap...

Anyway....hooray for TWD! Although not officially confirmed, we know season four has a green light. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got a green light for several more seasons at this point....
    Great numbers again.
    Gale Ann Hurd said on The Talking Dead that this could go on for 20 seasons if the demand is there. I know Mazzara has said he sees it as a 7 season story but i'll eat it up as long as they want to keep feeding me.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Great numbers again.
    Gale Ann Hurd said on The Talking Dead that this could go on for 20 seasons if the demand is there. I know Mazzara has said he sees it as a 7 season story but i'll eat it up as long as they want to keep feeding me.
    Ditto.

Perhaps there will come a time when the audience has kind of had their fill, but it all depends on the stories and the vibrancy of those involved, I guess. The great thing for TWD is that it truly evolves - the characters, scenarios, locations, all of them are forever changing as it's a journey all of the time rather than wandering the destination you had arrived at from the very first episode, if that makes sense?

I read/heard somewhere - perhaps in a TWD related interview - where it was pointed out that the characters etc in TWD truly evolve. Rick is no longer the same man he was in 1x01. Meanwhile you've got Dexter (as an example), and has the main character changed all that much in seven seasons? It's a good show that I enjoy, but I have noticed that it never really seems to change.

Meanwhile you've got Breaking Bad (a great example of an evolving show) where Walt has completely changed - astonishingly so - or Boardwalk Empire where there is a definite arc to many/all the characters (e.g. Margaret Thompson nee Shroeder who has gone from downtrodden Irish house wife to gangster's moll who's well versed in manipulating the world around her to get what she wants, which can include revenge).

So as long as TWD continues to evolve and remain fresh, but also maintain a balance of the deep character stuff that keeps as emotionally engaged (and prone to utter shocks, like recently) and the bloodthirsty action elements to spice up the in-between bits, then it can certainly run for a good long while. Keeping it grounded within a relateable moral quagmire is important too of course - the success of the comics and the show is directly linked to the viewer being able to say "if I was in that situation, I'd do this..."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    10.37 Million for 305 "Say The Word".

They should just cancel the show now. Awful numbers....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    10.37 Million for 305 "Say The Word".

They should just cancel the show now. Awful numbers....
    You mean they didn't get 10.5m?! Shameful!

Crackin' numbers again - lovely jubbly.

Any 'cumulative' numbers for all the repeats during Sunday night plus DVR recordings?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    You mean they didn't get 10.5m?! Shameful!

Crackin' numbers again - lovely jubbly.

Any 'cumulative' numbers for all the repeats during Sunday night plus DVR recordings?
    16m cumulative

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    Amazing!

So will next week's numbers roughly maintain at this level, or dip after a slowdown in pace on 305?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    10.5 million? That's the entire Belgian population!

Super Moderator

UK
    16m cumulative
    In the oft-repeated (too oft-repeated, perhaps) words of Kevin Smith on Hollywood Babble-On - "skeet skeet skeet!" ... just picture arcing ropes of fangasm to go along with that sentiment.

16 million in total for the night, eh? Fan-bloody-tastic.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Amazing!

So will next week's numbers roughly maintain at this level, or dip after a slowdown in pace on 305?
    It's weird how the numbers seem to dip for the best episodes with the biggest shocks or best reveals/new characters/new info etc.

Also, a slowdown in pace for a mere episode shouldn't be a worry at all - not that I'm saying that that's what you're saying, Aces, but there are a few morons out there who would genuinely be like "oh wtf, it was pedal to the metal like 3x01!" (such a thing wouldn't constitute satisfying writing, peaks and troughs are very necessary to maintain a good balance) ... where was I? Oh yeah, point being, there was a shitload more going on in 3x05 than there were in many of the front-seven of season two ... 3x05 was 'slow' compared to the utter chaos and seeming non-stop action of 3x01 and 3x04. I'd say 3x05 was 'faster' than most of the back-six of season two as well.

Again, not saying that you're genuinely complaining about the speed of the episode - indeed, as I've said there's nothing genuine to complain about, especially not relatively speaking - but there will be handful of numpties that will actually, honestly, genuinely think that ... the sort of people who only watch random episodes of TV shows (heathens! ), thus resulting in the strange modest wobble in all viewings figures on all tv shows ... weird, strange people, so they are.

Super Moderator

United States
    I don't think anyone is immediately 'worried' about ratings numbers, MZ, I only ask out of curiosity on how you good gentlemen think the general viewing public will (re)act.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    "skeet skeet skeet!" ... just picture arcing ropes of fangasm to go along with that sentiment.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I don't think anyone is immediately 'worried' about ratings numbers, MZ, I only ask out of curiosity on how you good gentlemen think the general viewing public will (re)act.

It should dip. Im guessing the 9.5m mark then ramp up again as we head towards 3x08 mid season finale.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    It should dip. Im guessing the 9.5m mark then ramp up again as we head towards 3x08 mid season finale.
    Should hopefully get some stonkingly good ratings for that episode.

*fingers crossed*

Whether we'll see another jump upwards, I don't know, perhaps - there seems to have been a continual growth when hitting these landmark episodes, but will they manage it yet again for the mid-season finale? I guess we'll find out in time...

Undisclosed
    TWD has been consistently listed in the "Top 25" shows in TV Guide this season. If I recall correctly, there were two weeks it ranked 17th, and one week, 11th. This is pretty much unheard of. Cable networks very rarely (if at all) show up on that list. It's usually reserved for the major networks. Another reason to be proud!!