Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD 9x16 "The Storm" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 9x16 "The Storm" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 9x16 "The Storm" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Greg Nicotero
    Written by: Angela Kang & Matthew Negrete

Last episode of the season, folks!

In the aftermath of an overwhelming loss, the communities must brave a ferocious blizzard; as one group deals with an enemy from within, another is forced to make a life or death decision.

United States
    With Nicotero directing and Kang writing this episode I have very high hopes.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    This episode looks pretty damn cool.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 31-Mar-2019 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Prego Rosita
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I hate to say it but for me personaly it was just ho hum, it did not feel like a season ending episode. a bright spot I do believe we have saw the real start of Neegans redemption this episode. oh well I will have to rewatch it and see what else comes to me...oh yea, I am sick of lydia already.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    After last week’s crazy penultimate episode this is what I expected and I really enjoyed it. I have a few issues but overall pretty solid and very cool looking. Some story set ups heading into next season and my boy Negan was awesome as usual.

A finale like this was needed. I also liked how they didn’t use the Whisperers here. Smart choice.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, I liked how this pivoted away from the vibe of last week's episode. We got something new, but we also got a lot of the emotional fallout, while also getting new challenges - environmental challenges that we'd not seen before (plus plenty of cool frozen walker action).

I figured that The Whisperers would migrate to a warmer climate during winter seeing as they live outdoors (the thought of a bunch of Whisperers all bundled up in arctic coats look ridiculous in my head, haha!). Seems as if Alpha ain't going to be sticking by her word.

Interesting to see the fall of The Kingdom (it certainly helps consolidate some of the cast and locations!), but then to see redemption for the group. Loved all the Negan stuff, too. I was hoping to see a selfless act come into play and there we are. The way Negan was brought back into play in the comics was a bit iffy and sudden, so I feel this more dripfed approach works better (i.e. he chose to escape but then he chose to come back to incarceration, and he instinctually ran after Judith and got her back safely).

We kinda had the epic episode last week (it was extended length, too), so it was nice to have a change of pace here. We haven't been lumbered with the 'big episodes in premieres and finales' problem that kinda plagued the previous couple of seasons with so much playing for time going on to facilitate that. It's good to keep your audience guessing and not settle into a rut.

So, all things considered, season 9 has been friggin' awesome and a return to form, I'm very glad to say. Angela Kang has done a wonderful job as the new showrunner and I hope the quality continues throughout the next season!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, I liked how this pivoted away from the vibe of last week's episode. We got something new, but we also got a lot of the emotional fallout, while also getting new challenges - environmental challenges that we'd not seen before (plus plenty of cool frozen walker action).

I figured that The Whisperers would migrate to a warmer climate during winter seeing as they live outdoors (the thought of a bunch of Whisperers all bundled up in arctic coats look ridiculous in my head, haha!). Seems as if Alpha ain't going to be sticking by her word.

Interesting to see the fall of The Kingdom (it certainly helps consolidate some of the cast and locations!), but then to see redemption for the group. Loved all the Negan stuff, too. I was hoping to see a selfless act come into play and there we are. The way Negan was brought back into play in the comics was a bit iffy and sudden, so I feel this more dripfed approach works better (i.e. he chose to escape but then he chose to come back to incarceration, and he instinctually ran after Judith and got her back safely).

We kinda had the epic episode last week (it was extended length, too), so it was nice to have a change of pace here. We haven't been lumbered with the 'big episodes in premieres and finales' problem that kinda plagued the previous couple of seasons with so much playing for time going on to facilitate that. It's good to keep your audience guessing and not settle into a rut.

So, all things considered, season 9 has been friggin' awesome and a return to form, I'm very glad to say. Angela Kang has done a wonderful job as the new showrunner and I hope the quality continues throughout the next season!
    Yeah, I pretty much feel the same on everything you stated. This season was awesome.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Yeah, I pretty much feel the same on everything you stated. This season was awesome.
    I've seen in some comment feeds people complaining that it wasn't big enough for a finale - they've fallen into the routine of those 'big book end episodes' I was talking about. I like it when the show can pivot like this. Remember how 6x04 (Morgan and the Cheesemaker) came on the heels of the balls out trio of 6x01 through 6x03? It was a welcome change of pace and vibe at just the right time.

This episode allowed us the time for see the emotional impact, but also see our group sink even lower (The Kingdom falls) while fighting to reclaim something better. I loved the snowball fight as well, just a nice little moment where they could express some relief.

And who's voice is on the radio? Well, having reading the comics I figure I know where they're hailing from and I wonder if, possibly, it might hint at more connected thinking and ... dare I think it? ... an exit plan for the show linked with the three movies? That's how smart thinking would dictate things at this point, but we'll see, however I think it'd be the natural and sensible way forward to bring that into an overall, all-encompassing TWD wrap up. It's a theory at least.

United States
    I've seen in some comment feeds people complaining that it wasn't big enough for a finale - they've fallen into the routine of those 'big book end episodes' I was talking about. I like it when the show can pivot like this. Remember how 6x04 (Morgan and the Cheesemaker) came on the heels of the balls out trio of 6x01 through 6x03? It was a welcome change of pace and vibe at just the right time.

This episode allowed us the time for see the emotional impact, but also see our group sink even lower (The Kingdom falls) while fighting to reclaim something better. I loved the snowball fight as well, just a nice little moment where they could express some relief.

And who's voice is on the radio? Well, having reading the comics I figure I know where they're hailing from and I wonder if, possibly, it might hint at more connected thinking and ... dare I think it? ... an exit plan for the show linked with the three movies? That's how smart thinking would dictate things at this point, but we'll see, however I think it'd be the natural and sensible way forward to bring that into an overall, all-encompassing TWD wrap up. It's a theory at least.
    Carol and Ezekiel breaking up.
    Carol moving back to Alexandria.
    The start of Negan’s redemption arc.
    The Kingdom is gone.
    Sanctuary been gone.
    RJ confirmed real.
    Prince Henry.
    Awesome frozen walkers.
    A Whisperer update.
    Snow.
    Death by icicle.
    Rosita is still alive.
    Ezekiel is still alive.
    Comic Carol Easter egg.
    Rick’s bridge made important.
    Negan saves Judith.
    Negan saves Dog.
    Negan roast Gabriel.
    Snowball fight.
    Daryl smiled and laughed.
    Mystery person on the radio.

Yeah, nothing happened in the finale.

Last edited by Moon Knight; 01-Apr-2019 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Carl l o l

Super Moderator

UK
    Carol and Ezekiel breaking up.
    Carol moving back to Alexandria.
    The start of Negan’s redemption arc.
    The Kingdom is gone.
    Sanctuary been gone.
    RJ confirmed real.
    Prince Henry.
    Awesome frozen walkers.
    A Whisperer update.
    Snow.
    Death by icicle.
    Rosita is still alive.
    Ezekiel is still alive.
    Comic Carol Easter egg.
    Rick’s bridge made important.
    Negan saves Judith.
    Negan saves Dog.
    Negan roast Gabriel.
    Snowball fight.
    Daryl smiled and laughed.
    Mystery person on the radio.

Yeah, nothing happened in the finale.

Woop! Woop! You go, Moon!

*ahem*

Damn straight. Shed loads happened, it just wasn't character deaths (erm, we had a ton of those last week, so I think we're good for a while!) or some big explosion or extended length (although it was a smidge longer than usual - I'm glad they fought to keep that snowball fight in the edit).

It was a really enjoyable episode, and it was surprisingly tense at times - during the frozen river crossing I realised my hands were all wound up tight together, hehe.

I loved the little mention of "Rick's bridge", and how these past events still echo to this day - it's nice to have some of the history of these characters and their stories being remembered and referenced.

Oh, and yeah, it was quite something to see Daryl actually laugh and smile - such a rare sight! He's usually quite reserved.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 02-Apr-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Rising

United States
    Seems like no one here caught the nod to Return of the Living Dead in this episode.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Seems like no one here caught the nod to Return of the Living Dead in this episode.
    I was too busy thinking it was a nod to bicycle girl. One of my favorite zombies ever.

Super Moderator

UK
    I was too busy thinking it was a nod to bicycle girl. One of my favorite zombies ever.
    Weird! That was the first thing that went through my head as well, Moon! Being in full TWD mode while watching it, Bicycle Girl was what crossed my mind first (not that it would have been that particular zombie of course, as Rick put her down).

But yep, ROTLD reference there.

Rising

United States
    Weird! That was the first thing that went through my head as well, Moon! Being in full TWD mode while watching it, Bicycle Girl was what crossed my mind first (not that it would have been that particular zombie of course, as Rick put her down).

But yep, ROTLD reference there.
    My first immediate thought too, but after rewinding and taking a look at the mutilated zombie again, there was no doubt about it: this is undoubtedly a ROTLD reference.

United States
    My first immediate thought too, but after rewinding and taking a look at the mutilated zombie again, there was no doubt about it: this is undoubtedly a ROTLD reference.
    Yeah, you are absolutely correct.