Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD 9x14 "Scars" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 9x14 "Scars" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 9x14 "Scars" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Millicent Shelton
    Written by: Corey Reed & Vivian Tse

An outsider's arrival forces Alexandria to rehash devastating old wounds; eye-opening secrets from the past are revealed.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Mar-2019 at 11:15 AM.

United States
    This one will be something special. Dark.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I FUKKING LOVED this episode. That was dark. Been waiting for TWD to challenge the episode when Negan bashed in Glen and Abe’s skulls. Nothing will ever top the darkness of that scene but at least this episode challenged it.
    At least we now know why Michone has been a bitch all season, totally understandable as this episode unfolded.

Super Moderator

UK
    Best episode of this half-season (so far). Excellent episode, and like you folks are saying - dark as hell.

Great stuff between Daryl and Michonne and nice to see an answer to these scars. It's also interesting in that they appear to be cherry picking a piece here or there from fairly recent issues of the comics, stuff that wouldn't otherwise fit in (because of different paths taken with the story)...

In the comics Michonne meets her long lost daughter - now grown up.

So this 'person from the past' idea has been reworked and put in here to really good effect.

Nice to see they brought back the little actress that played Judith prior to the time jump.

Really powerful stuff in this one, Michonne - heavily pregnant - having to kill a bunch of feral kids. Blimey. Dark, but entirely justified, and explains all her actions. I loved the few scenes set just after Rick's disappearance as well. It's nice to get a chance to see the lingering toll of the death of someone important in your life on this show, further echoed by the graveside visit to Carl later in the episode.

United States
    So many good moments in this episode. This is how you do a filler episode.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Great job explaining what happened to cause Michones attitude to helping/accepting outsiders into Alexandria. I know this explained how Daryl and Michone received those scars but I still dont understand the reason for the brandings. Did I miss the meaning or reasoning for that or was it just vaguely done with no true explanation.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    I know this explained how Daryl and Michone received those scars but I still dont understand the reason for the brandings. Did I miss the meaning or reasoning for that or was it just vaguely done with no true explanation.
    They said on Talking Dead that this feral kids gang was inspired by child soldiers and the like, so the branding thing was part of a process of dehumanisation and forcing the kids to become conditioned to violence (particularly inflicted violence themselves). Also a part of brainwashing them so they'd do Jocelyn's bidding and take orders without question.

United States
    Thanks for the explanation, I haven't watched Talking Dead as of yet, I have it recorded. Thanks again
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

UK
    At the end there, when daryl rejoins michonne outside the trailer, his knives were both bloody. Reckon he had his own anakin episode off screen.
    This episode did make me wonder where all the child walkers have been over the last 9 seasons. Aside from the very first little girl in days gone bye, and sophia, I can't think of any others, despite having featured several schools, hospitals, streets and houses where you would expect to find children.. I get that killing kids on TV is still a big no no, but they're dead, they're all messed up, so does it really count?
    I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry hungry.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadHippo View Post
    At the end there, when daryl rejoins michonne outside the trailer, his knives were both bloody. Reckon he had his own anakin episode off screen.
    This episode did make me wonder where all the child walkers have been over the last 9 seasons. Aside from the very first little girl in days gone bye, and sophia, I can't think of any others, despite having featured several schools, hospitals, streets and houses where you would expect to find children.. I get that killing kids on TV is still a big no no, but they're dead, they're all messed up, so does it really count?
    I believe 5x06 “Consumed” had Carol putting down some walker kid off screen, they were silhouetted behind a door within the school they were taking refuge in back in Atlanta. I’m sure MZ can confirm this. It’s been years but I recall Carol struggling with the act and Daryl stepping in? They burned the body shortly after.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 20-Mar-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Yo

United States
    How about the kid walker who bit Tyreese?
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadHippo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I believe 5x06 “Consumed” had Carol putting down some walker kid off screen, they were silhouetted behind a door within the school they were taking refuge in back in Atlanta. I’m sure MZ can confirm this. It’s been years but I recall Carol struggling with the act and Daryl stepping in? They burned the body shortly after.
    You assumed correctly, good Sir.

Yeah, it was a mother & child in one of the rooms in the shelter for abuse victims (an echo of Carol and Sophia, and who Carol used to be before the ZA).

In terms of child walkers, it's probably mostly down to practicalities. The extent of the make-up effects and the filming conditions vs child labour laws isn't a grand mix. There may also be certain rules governing how much in terms of prosthetic appliances can be glued onto kids, and at the very least there's just the amount of time that would take to apply - they have to be very on-point when it comes to their working hours and making sure they get their schooling done. There's probably an element of it being a bit too much of a bummer to see zombie kids wandering about, but it's probably mostly to do with real world practicalities. You've also got to think about the psychological safety of the children, too - on Talking Dead Denise Huth explained how they have a child psychologist on board to explain to the kids (and their parents) what will occur on set, how it all plays out etc etc etc. Being thrust into a zombie apocalypse could be a pretty intense experience, even if it is just for TV.

Now - how about hiring diminutive stunt performers to portray children? I'm thinking about small women who often stunt double child actors (male or female). You could hire stunt performers (or general actors) who are specifically quite short and not too bulky/muscular, and make them up as zombie kids.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 20-Mar-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Rising

United States
    There also was the Governor's zombified daughter, which was killed by Michonne. There's been several zombie children in the show.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    There also was the Governor's zombified daughter, which was killed by Michonne. There's been several zombie children in the show.
    Crazy I didn’t remember that.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Oh aye, good catch.

So many seasons and episodes now, it's hard to recall everything.