Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Good, but overrated

Twitching

United States
    Thank you Trin and Gemini,
    It's refreshing after so many "hate the movie, but the man and his personal actions/words/demeanor/possible mindset are off-limits for all criticism, which shall henceforth be deemed "disrespect".) Honestly, the basic "Disrespect Argument" reminds me a lot of people who scream "You're UNPATRIOTIC" at people who cited extreme criticisms of the War In Iraq. I'm NOT saying that I think it's cool to just rip on someone, ANYONE to be funny, or witty or even relevant, but if something that a director has done elicits a genuine negative emotion in you, precisely where is the great treason in expressing that?

Know what, unlike many I actually on-balance found more to enjoy in Land than I disliked, though the things I disliked I positively despised. I recognize many others feel differently and find Land to be as or more deficient than I find Diary & Survival. Yet somehow I find that I feel no need at all to defend Romero from the sincere negative feelings expressed by others at Romero over a movie that they hated and I rather liked (In a qualified sense, as I explained).

To the "Stay with me, Guys" Interview Romero gave, I retort with this:
    Survival lacks the kind of grand theme that gives the best Romero zombie movies their oomph. The Romero of old would tease his audience with graphic violence so he could comment on social ills, but lately, he’s been shoehorning in the commentary around scenes that play to that core base of fans who dress up as zombies and cheer on every clever kill. Survival has lots of those clever kills; Romero just doesn’t provide enough reason for them to be.
    And this:
    It’s also fun to dream up these new silly sort of Loony Toon ways of disposing of zombies, which we can do now with CG, which I was never able to do when it was all practical mechanical effects, you know?
    Important point here, which supports what I've been saying, about him knowing what pisses us off and doing it for precisely that reason.
    If you look at Night of the Living Dead they’re eating insects, they’re violating all of my rules that I’ve tried to stick to since the second film. So now this is maybe something new. I hinted at it in a film called Day of the Dead, but this is something new. They actually do it, but the humans are too busy shooting at each other so nobody notices. So I have that in my hip pocket as something that will definitely play in upcoming episodes, if there are upcoming episodes.
    And FINALLY, the very capstone of what I'm pointing out, using Romero's exact words.
    "I'm convinced that my increased focus on the communications medium and the "feel" if you will of the Big Country-like influence makes Diary and Survival far and away my best Dead-related work to date."
    This is "the pattern" that gets under the skin of many of us that, on top of being frustrated and disgusted with the obvious reality-disconnect going on here for/inside this man, is further inflamed when various "GAR Defenders" leap to the man's defense the moment someone on here points out that there's more than ample first-hand evidence that not only has GAR completely and perhaps irrevocably deviated from the zombie film-making values that made the Original Trilogy great, he's fully aware of the fact that his newer work is creating larger and larger numbers of former fans that have become disaffected with his movie-making credentials in the here-and now. That he has the gall to express something akin to frustration and disappointment in us, as all the while he assumes "we just don't GET his new films", thus condescending to us at the same time he's expressing his wish for us to watch his new movies again and again until we do get it, it's INFURIATING.

They say that the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem/there is a problem, and that conversely, believing that it is EVERYONE ELSE that has the problem is the very essence of denial.

So what makes it such Blasphemous Treason to highlight these very statements and actions made by Romero himself, that confirms without further explanation required why so many of us have grown disenchanted with the prospect of more Dead films from Romero, and what's wrong with said director from the get-go these days?
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 07-Nov-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Quoting error.

United States
    You know, I think some members here might need to seek a therapist to help them with their frustrations with Romero's newer works. Some act as if Romero raped their mothers or something. These long winded, essay length posts that basically end up equating to nothing more than pure hatred for Romero are absurd.
    In my very humble opinion.

Administrator

England
    I Made one of these long winded posts about land once, becuase people kept asking me why i rank it my absolute worse zombie movie ever, and i have defended my point to several members.

Its not that i hate GAR at all, obviously i grew with uncle george and the holy trilogy kick started what is hopefully going to be a lifelong obsession with the undead. The man made great acheivements and i dont think anyone on this board can deny that, but that said, i despise the new trilogy. I sincerely think that old uncle george should of retired years and years ago, that dosnt mean i hate the man and i will still defend him and the original, holy trilogy with my last breath, but he should of retired and the new trilogy should never have been made, he has made a mockery of the very sub-genre he created.

In short, do i hate GAR? certainly not.. Do i respect him as much as i did pre-land? No.. Do i think fans of GAR have a right to be annoyed at him for the direction he's taken? Certainly.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    You know, I think some members here might need to seek a therapist to help them with their frustrations with Romero's newer works. Some act as if Romero raped their mothers or something. These long winded, essay length posts that basically end up equating to nothing more than pure hatred for Romero are absurd.
    Yes, there seem to be a few school shooter types here.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I Made one of these long winded posts about land once, becuase people kept asking me why i rank it my absolute worse zombie movie ever, and i have defended my point to several members.
    You haven't seen vampires vs. zombies, have you? it is THE worst zombie movie ever made. period.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    True...but the same could be said about those that kiss his ass like he's jesus christ...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    True...but the same could be said about those that kiss his ass like he's jesus christ...
    Your thoughts are always so deep and original, bassman.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Deep Thoughts: By Bassman"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    You haven't seen vampires vs. zombies, have you? it is THE worst zombie movie ever made. period.
    I have and land is still worse.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    YES!...

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

And your posts are completely pointless and unwanted. the only reason anyone will even talk to you here is for your interviews, otherwise you're just a dick who no one can stand... Sadly I am bigger dick but people like me more.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    YES!... [COLOR="Silver"]

Sadly I am bigger dick but people like me more.
    Oh, yeah? Well I've got the BIGGEST DICK IN THE CAVE... err... MESSAGE BOARD!

So there!

(No, I couldn't resist it).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Oh, yeah? Well I've got the BIGGEST DICK IN THE CAVE... err... MESSAGE BOARD!

j.p.
    Must be a small cave... errr Message Board
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo
    How can you admit that you are disrespectful and then claim later that you are polite as well?
    Again, if you had read the posts, I used the term disrespect in the context of a previous poster who claimed that criticisms of the filmmaker are disrespectful, and any/all criticisms should be
    kept within context of the films themselves.

And I clarified that specifically when darth called me out on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by trin
    I tend to agree with you, but some of the previous posters have alluded to the idea that any remarks about the man himself are disrespectful, and criticims should be kept in the framework of the movies alone.
    But I'll go a step further and say that the two aren't mutually exclusive. And as I said there are times when I let my passion and frustration come out badly. I believe my posting history displays those are the exceptions to the rule.

You seem to be intent on picking out the most negative things I say and making those the only things you respond to.

You don't like his newer films? That's fine, it's a free country. I'm not crazy about his newer films either.
    Just out of curiosity, did you tell him that? Do you think anyone is telling him that? Dubious contended earlier (maybe another thread) that people are telling him they love his newer stuff. I just wonder if he's getting the balanced opinion.

However, the level of disrespect coming from his fan base just amazes me. That's my point.
    I agree with this sentiment entirely. There *IS* too much disrespect heading towards GAR. But the contention made early in this thread is that any criticims of the filmmaker is disrespectful, and that's what amazes me.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    And your posts are completely pointless and unwanted. the only reason anyone will even talk to you here is for your interviews, otherwise you're just a dick who no one can stand... Sadly I am bigger dick but people like me more.
    It's amazing to me how the mods let you post some of the garbage that you do. Half of the time you say something crude and the other half you saying something idiotic.
    Oops, I almost forgot to add a little smiley(that way it comes off as simply a lighthearted jab).