Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Good, but overrated

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    you are both as bad as each other and no one else gives a fuck. at. all. take it to PM's because this is the walking dead section not 'leo and gary get there skirts in a bunch. again' there is nothing stopping you from ignoring each other and all this gets is closed threads and no resolution and a grievance between two people is a private matter, not something for a public forum and this got incredibly fucking old like 40 closed threads go. both of you grow the hell up and just agree that you both disagree on just about everything, jesus christ...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    You do understand what "city limits" means? Ride the horse to the city limits (i.e. the open highway as we were shown where any threat will be clearly visible) and then traverse the streets by foot so that you're able to move more sleathily and under cover, if necessary. What doesn't make sense? If you lived in a world where the dead were walking and coming after you, your instinct would be to be overly cautious.
    You do know how to respond without sounding like an ass right? What I meant Dubs, is that horseback is faster than, and almost as mobile as walking. . so I personally, saw no reason NOT to ride the horse into the city limits.

Oh shit . . my bad, I forgot we weren't talking about the Walking dead anymore. . .
    Last edited by clanglee; 08-Nov-2010 at 01:58 AM. Reason: sigh
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did you tell him that? Do you think anyone is telling him that? Dubious contended earlier (maybe another thread) that people are telling him they love his newer stuff. I just wonder if he's getting the balanced opinion.
    I've never told Romero that I've liked any particular film of his. I've always just said that I'm a fan of his films and that has been it. Why would I go up to Romero and say "man, I really thought Diary of the Dead was weak"? Every film director I've ever been a fan of has made films that have let me down. Lucas, Spielberg, Cameron, Scorsese, Coppola, and yes Romero. They all have made films that I felt were duds but that is going to happen. Every artist is going to have misfires or make mistakes. But I still have respect for them as an artist because of their entire body of work.
    A lot of this ripping on George Romero reminds me of simpleton sports fans. The type of fan that wants to bench his QB one week because he throws a couple of interceptions that cost his team a win. Yet the next week they think the QB should be in the Hall of Fame because he throws for 4 TD's and wins the game at the end.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    I've never told Romero that I've liked any particular film of his. I've always just said that I'm a fan of his films and that has been it. Why would I go up to Romero and say "man, I really thought Diary of the Dead was weak"? Every film director I've ever been a fan of has made films that have let me down. Lucas, Spielberg, Cameron, Scorsese, Coppola, and yes Romero. They all have made films that I felt were duds but that is going to happen. Every artist is going to have misfires or make mistakes. But I still have respect for them as an artist because of their entire body of work.
    A lot of this ripping on George Romero reminds me of simpleton sports fans. The type of fan that wants to bench his QB one week because he throws a couple of interceptions that cost his team a win. Yet the next week they think the QB should be in the Hall of Fame because he throws for 4 TD's and wins the game at the end.
    Hey man, I'm just asking. You've shown us in interviews that he's frustrated with fan response. You're closer to the man than I am. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever shot it to him straight. Or if he's ever asked? If he's frustrated with fan response it seems like someone would be doing him a favor by giving him honest feedback. I get that you don't wanna walk up to the man and say, "You know the movies are getting preachy." But I also have to seriously question why he's not asking. If all he ever hears is what great fans everyone is then he's gonna just be left confused with the lackluster overall response.

I think the QB example was true after Land. Lots of ripping with no real direction. But no matter how little you understand about the filmmaking industry you know fire extinguishers and flare guns are not in the zombie playbook!!
    Last edited by Trin; 08-Nov-2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: it wasn't wordy enough
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    yeah, romero hasn't even had a completion since land, more like a bunch of interceptions and fumbles.

United States
    I have the utmost respect for GAR, he has kept the genre alive for all these years keeping horror fans interested in the zombie movies.
    I guess you would call me a fanlady/fangirl of GAR, he does his own 'thing' ..do or die!
    We all have our opinions of his triology and his latest movies and boy do we voice them...I just hope GAR keeps them coming. Heck, after seeing TWD maybe he will maybe think of going back to his roots for atleast one more time! There is always hope guys!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel View Post
    I have the utmost respect for GAR, he has kept the genre alive for all these years keeping horror fans interested in the zombie movies.
    I guess you would call me a fanlady/fangirl of GAR, he does his own 'thing' ..do or die!
    We all have our opinions of his triology and his latest movies and boy do we voice them...I just hope GAR keeps them coming. Heck, after seeing TWD maybe he will maybe think of going back to his roots for atleast one more time! There is always hope guys!!!
    i'd rather see him do something other than a zombie film whilst its still in him. Hell i bet thats what hes wanted for years but only a romero zombie film gets dollar signs in enough eyes to warrant funding.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i'd rather see him do something other than a zombie film whilst its still in him. .
    We would tear that movie a new asshole too!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Wow, I never really realised just how massively out of hand this discussion has gotten!!!!

There's some major calming down that needs to be done here. Romero's later works are always going to be contentious. The trick here isn't to be self righteous about it. You have just got to realise that someone out there is not only going to hate those movies, they're going to express their opinion on the internet.

Getting into arguments of "respect" and honour and shit like that only inflames the situation. Attaching more emotion and incredulity to this thread is pointless - you are after all, only reviewing a movie.

for the record I caught a few of Wyldwraith's posts Romero, in particular the attitude that has been fostered out of fear of criticising the man, and I couldn't have agreed more.

Bottom line is, if you're an artist, you will get critique.

But the real key here is to remember that Romero's films are only his films and if he doesn't want to recieve criticism that he seems to have a problem with - then he should really think about writing better scripts. I have a personal problem with people who write "open letters" to directors demanding that they cease and desist - that's the truly harmful fan reaction - the rest, reviews, critiques, analysis, etc are all part of being a fan, even if you don't like them.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post

Getting into arguments of "respect" and honour and shit like that only inflames the situation.
    Clearly you have no concept of the word honor, Sir, and I believe it's half past time you were taught what serious business takes place hereabouts on the interwebz!

I choose Hellsing as my second, I'll leave it your choice for second to work out the terms with him. Sabers till first blood, pistols at 12 paces, memes at dawn, I don't care. Choose and prepare yourself, Sir!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    "memes at dawn" just fucking cracked me up.

lol
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Undisclosed
    There's some major calming down that needs to be done here. Romero's later works are always going to be contentious. The trick here isn't to be self righteous about it. You have just got to realise that someone out there is not only going to hate those movies, they're going to express their opinion on the internet.
    You're asking for calm among a group of people that don't wish for calm. You ask too much. Anybody that equates a new zombie TV series as a means to (paraphrasing) "screw George Romero and the horse he rode in on" is clearly not hoping for peace and honest critique.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    You're asking for calm among a group of people that don't wish for calm. You ask too much. Anybody that equates a new zombie TV series as a means to (paraphrasing) "screw George Romero and the horse he rode in on" is clearly not hoping for peace and honest critique.
    Yep - and those are the sort of people who don't deserve the attention they get.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yep - and those are the sort of people who don't deserve the attention they get.
    So do you expect us all to lay down and praise the man even for his poor entries?

He made 3 great zombie films and then went on to make 1 decent one and two crap ones... and I am supposed to bow at his feet for the mediocre stuff?

I give the man props for making me a fan of cinema, but to sit and say I love all his work when it is clear I do not would be lying of the highest order. The man needs to be told Land and Survival are shit, plain and simple. People blowing smoke up the mans ass doesn't correct the bad behavior of mediocre films, it only encourages more of the same drab BS tripe we have been given in 2005 and 2009.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    I can create calm. watch.

This topic has nothing to do with the walking dead anymore anyway.