Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Good, but overrated

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    "Great" sounds reasonable, but perhaps you missed some of the way-over-the-top accolades being tossed its way. I don't really understand how TWD can be compared to any standalone film when it's a serial and all of two days old.
    I'm only speaking for the pilot episode, which is almost long enough to be considered a feature film. Can't comment on the rest. And it's about two weeks old to me. Seen it multiple times, so my opinion is pretty solid on it at this point.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm only speaking for the pilot episode, which is almost long enough to be considered a feature film.
    That's the point: if you consider the pilot as a standalone work simply due to length, it really falls flat. It's akin to comparing the first episode of The Sopranos to Goodfellas.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What's wrong with considering it similar to a zombie feature film? It just about fits all the criteria one would assume goes along with being a zombie film. With the exception of the open ending, it feels like a real movie. Even with the open ending it can feel like a movie. Not all movies have a definite conclusion....

Super Moderator

United States
    That's the point: if you consider the pilot as a standalone work simply due to length, it really falls flat. It's akin to comparing the first episode of The Sopranos to Goodfellas.
    Very valid point and I do agree. Maybe comparison is the hobgoblin of the fanboy mind and we should avoid it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    What's wrong with considering it similar to a zombie feature film?
    Because it's jumping the gun which I realize a lot of people are eager to do. There is a difference between an open-ended film and a continuing serial. The pilot is an introduction and not a single aspect of the story has been wrapped up. Would you be satisfied with TWD as a film if no other epsiodes were to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Maybe comparison is the hobgoblin of the fanboy mind and we should avoid it.
    You are wise beyond your years, Aces. I wrote in your name on the ballot today.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 02-Nov-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: update

Super Moderator

United States

You are wise beyond your years, Aces. I wrote in your name on the ballot today.
    I'll count on your endorsement next time I go out stumping!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Because it's jumping the gun which I realize a lot of people are eager to do. There is a difference between an open-ended film and a continuing serial. The pilot is an introduction and not a single aspect of the story has been wrapped up. Would you be satisfied with TWD as a film if no other epsiodes were to follow?
    Once again....i'm speaking for only the pilot episode. And I do know there are more episodes to follow. Does that mean I can't form an opinion of this particular entry? Were people not allowed to form an opinion of The Empire Strikes Back because it was open ended and gave a good indication that a third installment was to follow? Did you leave the theater after Empire and say "I won't form an opinion on this second film until I see the third?"

Ireland
    The "blank canvas" is an excellent insight. Along those lines, my wife also pointed out the irony of Morgan joking about his wife packing photo albums while he packed survival supplies, yet those photo albums were clearly helping him to "survive."

But in regards to the deputy, nobody was painted a bigger wanker than Grimes' own partner. Isn't that guy pretty much responsible for him getting shot?
    Yep. Your wife's point is a good one and it was one of the nice little asides in the episode I thought.

As for Rick's partner, if you've read the comic...

Then you'll know that that's not the only misfortune he causes him
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Its funny reading people complaining about Ricks choices when that's the core of his character and subsequent plotlines throughout the comic book.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    And we all know that in real life, everyone makes the right choice 100% of the time.
    What a perfect world we live in.

Undisclosed
    Does that mean I can't form an opinion of this particular entry? Were people not allowed to form an opinion of The Empire Strikes Back because it was open ended and gave a good indication that a third installment was to follow?
    You're smart enough to know that ESB is nothing like the pilot episode of TWD. Had ESB ended abruptly during Luke & Vader's duel leaving the fate of Leia and the droids on Cloud City in uncertainty, you would have an valid argument.

I had previously written here that TWD simply has to be "epic" with some fans given their agenda to dethrone Romero as the reigning king of zombiedom. You blew that off and yet it's exactly what has happened. How does anyone misconstrue that with "not being allowed to form an opinion"? Of course people may form opinions, which is exactly what we've been discussing here. Perhaps you're only interested in threads where everyone agrees with you?

Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Its funny reading people complaining about Ricks choices when that's the core of his character and subsequent plotlines throughout the comic book.
    I've read a good portion of the comic series; are you saying that Kirkman wrote the character to be stupid?

Tom Weaver, a noted author and film historian, best summed this up on another message board: "...when you're trying to get an audience to buy into a plot about a zombie apocalypse, it helps NOT to also have a lot of unnecessary hard-to-believe stuff in your story (guy wakes up after an operation and leaps out of bed, cops have a shootout and then turn their backs on the crime scene and start yukking it up and socializing like they're at the Policemen's Ball, a dozen other WTF? things that happened in the 'normal' scenes). At that point, it's not normal-people-coping-with-zombies, it becomes BizarroLand on both sides of the human/zombie equation, more bizarre than I personally am willing to focus my attention on."
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 02-Nov-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: cause i made a mistake like Rick Grimes

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I really don't understand why you're bringing other threads or this "dethrone Romero" thing into our particular discussion. I was just pointing out that it's unfair to say one cannot enjoy a single entry in a series without having seen the others.
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Nov-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: 1

England
    I've read a good portion of the comic series; are you saying that Kirkman wrote the character to be stupid?

No. He wrote him to be human and a recklessly impulsive one at that.

Tom Weaver, a noted author and film historian, best summed this up on another message board: "...when you're trying to get an audience to buy into a plot about a zombie apocalypse, it helps NOT to also have a lot of unnecessary hard-to-believe stuff in your story (guy wakes up after an operation and leaps out of bed,

Oh come on. He hardly leapt out of bed did he?

cops have a shootout and then turn their backs on the crime scene and start yukking it up and socializing like they're at the Policemen's Ball,

They said on the police radio that there were 2 people in the car not 3

a dozen other WTF? things that happened in the 'normal' scenes). At that point, it's not normal-people-coping-with-zombies, it becomes BizarroLand on both sides of the human/zombie equation, more bizarre than I personally am willing to focus my attention on."
    I really don't understand your reaction to peoples love for this. Is it anything to do with the documentary link in your sig?
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Dying

United States
    I'm almost sure that dispatch only mentioned TWO armed individuals in the car. I don't think any of the policeman where aware of the third assailant in the vehicle, thus why they turned their backs.

Not that I'd defend the police in ANY other circumstance.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You're smart enough to know that ESB is nothing like the pilot episode of TWD. Had ESB ended abruptly during Luke & Vader's duel leaving the fate of Leia and the droids on Cloud City in uncertainty, you would have an valid argument.

I had previously written here that TWD simply has to be "epic" with some fans given their agenda to dethrone Romero as the reigning king of zombiedom. You blew that off and yet it's exactly what has happened. How does anyone misconstrue that with "not being allowed to form an opinion"? Of course people may form opinions, which is exactly what we've been discussing here. Perhaps you're only interested in threads where everyone agrees with you?

Tom Weaver, a noted author and film historian, best summed this up on another message board: "...when you're trying to get an audience to buy into a plot about a zombie apocalypse, it helps NOT to also have a lot of unnecessary hard-to-believe stuff in your story (guy wakes up after an operation and leaps out of bed, cops have a shootout and then turn their backs on the crime scene and start yukking it up and socializing like they're at the Policemen's Ball, a dozen other WTF? things that happened in the 'normal' scenes). At that point, it's not normal-people-coping-with-zombies, it becomes BizarroLand on both sides of the human/zombie equation, more bizarre than I personally am willing to focus my attention on."
    And clearly you WEREN'T PAYING ATTENTION... ADHD is a bitch, but they have meds for it.

People need to get over the fact TWD has outshined Romero's recent stuff and it is a top notch show. once you accept that fact... your life will be so much better.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*